LSU taken out by Troy!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: LSU taken out by Troy!

Post by BroncoBot »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:02 pm Perhaps we should move to Div 2 in sports. Then we can meet the very low expectations of some fans who get upset by those who "whine" when we can barely even be a top 100 team.
no, I'd just argue that (as we've seen this year in football) BYU could fall a lot farther than then could gain with a wholesale AD change.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I may have been more critical of Holmoe than anyone on this site over the last three or four years. He had to make a big move. He had to take a risk. The move was to get us out of a crap conference, partner w ESPN for $$, and start scheduling as many P5 teams as possible to prove a point that we belonged. I thought he had overcommitted BYU football and at some level sold out our players. That philosophy has not worked with the big 12. I'm not sure that is Tom's fault. I give him credit for trying. The big 12 is a hot mess. It is very self interested and about to do any teams any favors. Again, not Tom's fault. Houston had a very good case to get in, and even they didn't.
I would honestly like to see where this supposed "list" is of qualified coaches that would come to BYU for peanuts. That's a lie that some people are telling them selves. Coach Ken was adamant that he would run his style of offense And I'm not sure BYU could run the triple option and succeed. Tom may have known better and realized that BYU fans are not likely to embrace the triple option. Tom may or may not have already made up his mind about Kalani, but he knew that big donors and fans wanted a BYU guy through and through, and his pretty OC too.
I'm not sold on Detmer's scheme as being able to succeed in college and at BYU. There are many reasons why it works in the pros and why most college teams have abandoned it. And I don't buy this whole mumbo-jumbo that none of these athletes fit into that scheme and that other recruits will. Byu gets who BYU gets.
I get that we are all frustrated, but to argue that BYU wasn't playing hard against the Aggies or that they weren't attacking, is just fool hearty. Detmer was attacking all over the place, it was just missed placed and very newbie like. Tolutao attacked as did the running game, and fought hard for every extra yard. Problem is he was an easy target at end of runs for a defense that was very adept at stripping the ball. If Hoge doesn't get knocked out of the game, we win that game with 40+ points. It was dang bad luck followed up by a woefully inadequate replacement.
The biggest lapse I see with this team is the lack of mental discipline And preparedness. It's almost like the offensive staff thought that last year's performance was easily replicated and so they under prepared this offense and it is taking half a season to get them up to speed.
I do know That Ty is struggling with the results. He feels it very personally and wants to find the winning combination. I agree with those that question Cahoon and Mahe--as beloved as Reno is. Two Morse losses and somebody will have to be sacrificed. Just like Bosco was Crowtons scapegoat.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

I just can't get over the irony of people who can't wait for the pro style to develop at BYU (even though we have a deep history of recruiting for that style personnel), but they somehow think that in one or two seasons we would have the personnel to run the triple o under Ken N, something that we have never done, and I frankly don't think we have the talent pool to do well. (Not to mention that I couldn't stand watching option football week in and out. Watching my whole team dive at the knees of the opposing players. Gross.. )

Guess what receivers do in the Triple O? Block! All day long. You think we have receivers that are physical enough to block?

Hahahahahahaha.

Not to mention the fact that we have only two QBs on roster that could run the option, one of them hurt, and the coaching is under question from people on this board about why you would run plays with a hurt qb.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

USU was the first game all year that I thought BYU actually attacked the other team. No one knows what Ken N would have run had he been hired at BYU. What I do know is that he took Navy from a nobody to a contender and had them in the top 25 a couple years ago. He is a terrific coach. What I also know is that he said in the media after his interview that he never felt like he was being seriously considered. Lance Anderson who leads a very dominating defense at Stanford was never interviewed that we know of. Darrel Bevel at Seattle who has won a superbowl, as far as we know, was never contacted. Yes, he may have been a long shot but who knows if you don't try. Like I have also said, I like Kalani's attitude, I like the way he talks to the media and to the fans through the media but that doesn't make a great HC. If he fails, I feel that the AD that never even tried to get anyone else needs to be scrutinized.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Ken N by all accounts told Holmoe he wouldn't change his scheme. Darrell Bevel? Are you serious? Why would he leave a job where he is one super bowl away from a head coaching job to take less money and come to a program with much less talent, and an equally high level of criticism?

Are you also angry that God himself wasn't contacted? I mean he's LDS, after all...

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:45 pm ... was never interviewed that we know of.
... as far as we know, was never contacted.

[So I'll characterize Holmoe as] the AD that never even tried to get anyone else .

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:08 pm
frdbtr wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:45 pm ... was never interviewed that we know of.
... as far as we know, was never contacted.

[So I'll characterize Holmoe as] the AD that never even tried to get anyone else .
What evidence do you have that these other candidates were contacted?

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Brayden Green wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:03 pm Ken N by all accounts told Holmoe he wouldn't change his scheme. Darrell Bevel? Are you serious? Why would he leave a job where he is one super bowl away from a head coaching job to take less money and come to a program with much less talent, and an equally high level of criticism?

Are you also angry that God himself wasn't contacted? I mean he's LDS, after all...
Everyone seems to think Andy Reed would come to BYU if given an attractive enough offer, why not Bevel?

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

We have solid evidence that 3 guys were contacted. Kyle Whittingham, Sitake, and Ken N. That is it.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

frdbtr wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:12 pm
Brayden Green wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:03 pm Ken N by all accounts told Holmoe he wouldn't change his scheme. Darrell Bevel? Are you serious? Why would he leave a job where he is one super bowl away from a head coaching job to take less money and come to a program with much less talent, and an equally high level of criticism?

Everyone seems to think Andy Reed would come to BYU if given an attractive enough offer, why not Bevel?
No one except for the deepest drinkers of the blue kool-aid think that Reid will come here. "Attractive enough" of an offer? He makes $8 million a year and doesn't have to spend every waking moment kissing 18 year old :utard: . What kind of an offer do you think we could make for Reid or Bevell, and do you think that Holmoe is dumb enough that he doesn't have an "open door, you are welcome whenever you'd like, here's a christmas card in the mail to show that we care", relationship?

Andy Reid, Kansas City
$7.5 million/year
Reid, who was making $5.5 million annually with the Eagles before he was let go, picked up a nice pay raise when he signed a five-year, $37.5 million deal to become Kansas City's coach in 2013.

oregonlive.com