Highlight of my concern about the offense

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Highlight of my concern about the offense

Post by hawkwing »

My concern about the offense is not that the offense is down from Anae. Only the most ardent/supportive/naive of BYU and Ty Detmer fans believed that Detmer would come in and be able to immediately improve upon the offense.

My concern is that our offense is currently ranked 129th overall and 130th in scoring. That's last place. Now there is an argument that we've played some tough teams. That's a valid point to keep in mind, however, it's still too early to say how tough these teams really are. LSU, for example, I don't think is as good as they are currently ranked.

I decided to compare BYU's offensive outing to the "worst" team that the opponent has played. Either an FCS team or the worst recorded among FBS teams. This is what I've found.
offensive_comparison_to_opponents_worst_opponent.PNG
BYU has done worse in all but 2 or 3 categories than FCS schools against the exact same competition. That is terrifying to me.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Re: Highlight of my concern about the offense

Post by frdbtr »

Those stats suck but I am indifferent to stats. I have said before that I would take Anae's offense back in a second and have been criticized for that but the reason isn't because I believe that Anae's offense would have been more productive against the same competition which I believe it would have. I would take Anae's offense back in a second because Anae's offenses were actually physical. This offense (and our defense) seem to want to shy away from contact which is a surprise to me because last years defense was physical.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I am not indifferent to stats, stats are very important to me. You can't find stats of an offensive output like this unless you go back to the 1950s, that's concerning to me and should be to every BYU fan.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I don't disagree with the stats, I just believe if BYU football was bringing the physicality to the other team instead of shying away from it, those stats would be different. Now the real question to me is, is "pillows and feathers" the reason BYU football has lost its physicality.

YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by YNot »

Hard to sugar coast those stats.

I am anxious to see how we perform at Utah St. this weekend. If the offense doesn't score at least 20 points, it is going to be a long year and I don't see us reaching a bowl.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Bad is one thing. Excrutiatingly awful is something else entirely. BYU's offense needs to improve by leaps and bounds to simply become bad.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
lawngnome
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by lawngnome »

Wow, I feel like everyone who has watched at all this year feels like the offense has underperformed... but when you see it side by side like that it really hurts.

Just curious what those who have more familiarity with the subject than I do think, but is it Detmer's inexperience? A lack of talent? The players don't understand the plays? What does everyone else think? I don't even qualify as an armchair quarterback, so thats why I'm asking.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Basically, Detmer copied much of Anae's offense last year, and tried to switch to his own scheme this year. Seems to be the same with Tuiaki, honestly.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Talk to me in 6 weeks when we are playing the easier part of our schedule. If we are putting up in the teens against SJSU with our starting quarterback, then we have cause for concern.

Right now we are playing defenses that are so much better than what we face in a single year, back to back to back.

Even that "bad FCS team", who came within a field goal of Oregon State (Pac-12!!! Yeah baby!) was pretty good. They would probably be in the middle of the MWC.

Give it time. Find a hobby to keep you busy for the next 4 or 5 weeks, and enjoy watching us go bowling this year. Next year things will be monumentally better with our incoming classes and JC transfers, and in 2 years we will have a very good ball control offense, to match up with our very good defense (a defense which was obviously the priority coming in.)

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

lawngnome wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:00 pm Wow, I feel like everyone who has watched at all this year feels like the offense has underperformed... but when you see it side by side like that it really hurts.

Just curious what those who have more familiarity with the subject than I do think, but is it Detmer's inexperience? A lack of talent? The players don't understand the plays? What does everyone else think? I don't even qualify as an armchair quarterback, so thats why I'm asking.

We don't have the right horses. Our offensive lineman can't run block, and are getting beat play after play on straight four man rushes.

You can't run a pro offense if you can't run. You completely maim the playaction if defenses don't respect your running ability and play a man with zone on top.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: