BYU - Utah Game Thread

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU - Utah Game Thread

Post by frdbtr »

BoiseBYU wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:00 am No rest for this team, with WI coming to town. May the receivers improve. May the run game improve. May the coaching improve. May the kicking game improve. May my heart improve.
Next week is a loss. BYU doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell against WI.

Jarhead
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Jarhead »

Tanner played pretty poorly this game.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:01 am
BoiseBYU wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:00 am No rest for this team, with WI coming to town. May the receivers improve. May the run game improve. May the coaching improve. May the kicking game improve. May my heart improve.
Good chance we end up with a losing season.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Gunk wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:02 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:01 am
Good chance we end up with a losing season.
If BYU has a losing season this year, there needs to be an offensive coaching shakeup at the end of the year.

Matty-B
Junior

Post by Matty-B »

frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:00 am
Matty-B wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:56 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:47 pm 2 dropped balls. Anyone still saying this is Tanners fault?
C'mon Man.. you're looking at the last drive only. Mangum was AWFUL the entire fist half and only semi decent the second half. He was good the last two drives. The bulk of this game you CAN look to Mangum.
He did turn it up at the end but it was too little too late
I disagree. While he was most certainly not perfect, there were missed plays by the receivers all game long. QB's only throw to guys they trust. He was trying to force things to guys he could trust. If BYU had a group of prototype physical BYU receivers from the 80's or 90's we would have had a better chance in this game. If BYU had the Oline from 96, 01 or 06, along with said receivers from the 80's and 90's we would have blown this team out.
So what... our recruiting is the reason we suck? Tanner still would have missed those receivers on a few throws. We do SUCK BTW.
BYU always does this... always seem to be just good enough to string us along with hope. Its miserable

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

The lack of talent aside, this is on the coaches. It always starts there.

In my opinion, Detmer is the greatest QB in BYU history. But that doesn't make him a great OC. He's long been said to be a football master and mentored several guys at the NFL level. But something just isn't working here. I don't know what it is. But the offense is atrocious and that begins and ends with him. Maybe he should just be QB coach and we get a real OC.

7 straight losses. Think about that. Utah has come into Lavell Edwards stadium and won the last 3 times.

I'm a die hard Cougar fan til I die but unless they just want to sink into oblivion, Sitake (and Holmoe for that matter) need to figure this out. Not that they will become Ute fans or anything but a lot of Y fans will just care less and less until they don't care at all because they're sick of the product they see on the field. At that point we're just a glorified Utah State.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Matty-B wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 am
frdbtr wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:00 am
Matty-B wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:56 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:47 pm 2 dropped balls. Anyone still saying this is Tanners fault?
C'mon Man.. you're looking at the last drive only. Mangum was AWFUL the entire fist half and only semi decent the second half. He was good the last two drives. The bulk of this game you CAN look to Mangum.
He did turn it up at the end but it was too little too late
I disagree. While he was most certainly not perfect, there were missed plays by the receivers all game long. QB's only throw to guys they trust. He was trying to force things to guys he could trust. If BYU had a group of prototype physical BYU receivers from the 80's or 90's we would have had a better chance in this game. If BYU had the Oline from 96, 01 or 06, along with said receivers from the 80's and 90's we would have blown this team out.
So what... our recruiting is the reason we suck? Tanner still would have missed those receivers on a few throws. We do SUCK BTW.
BYU always does this... always seem to be just good enough to string us along with hope. Its miserable
I never said recruiting was the problem. Our receivers have the talent. They are just soft and are not running the correct routes. They drop too many catchable balls. This is a coaching issue. Just like with the offensive line. The last time we had a competent offensive line was when Jeff Grimes was the coach. We had the receivers coach that we needed but Holladay was not retained. This is all on the coaches. Tanner isn't making the best decisions on every throw but as long as our receivers are playing like marshmallows, our offense is going to look soft and impotent.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

IMO, I think Holmoe needs to go.

BYU football is in the dredges and basketball isn't far behind. BYU sports is regressing, except for women's soccer, track & field, and volleyball.

Utah didn't even seem excited to be playing us. We're just another pasty on their schedule.
Last edited by Gunk on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Gunk wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:10 am IMO, I think Holmoe needs to go.

BYU football is in the dredges and basketball isn't far behind. BYU sports is regressing, except for women's soccer, track & field, and volleyball.

Utah didn't even seem excited to be playing use. We're just another pasty on their schedule.
+1

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Matty-B
Junior

Post by Matty-B »

Gunk wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:10 am IMO, I think Holmoe needs to go.

Utah didn't even seem excited to be playing us. We're just another pasty on their schedule.
You're right, the Utes didn't seemed pumped at all for the win. Which is a slap in the face. They EXPECTED to win and if anything they were disappointed it was closer than what they expected.