Let's just get this out of the way

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Let's just get this out of the way

Post by nuk13 »

Lawngnome, I'm a little surprised that the Utes are ahead of their expenses. You ask a good question about BYU and I'd like to know the answer.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

BYU does not and will not reveal financial information about the athletic department.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I like that we are playing LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, etc. But let's face it, those teams are using BYU as a warm up game. Sure we squeaked out a win against Nebraska, but for the most part these teams will roll right over us. Question is do you enjoy watching BYU get steam rolled? I don't.

If we are going to play these types of teams then BYU , fans included, either needs to accept the fact we're a tier below and be okay with getting spanked (hey, we got some money & exposure out of the deal) or we need to decide we're not okay with it and make the changes necessary to compete at that upper level.

I, for one, am not nearly as excited about BYU football as I used to be. The seasons are all pretty much the same: we win 9-ish games, go to a no-name bowl, and call the season a success. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:15 pm
I, for one, am not nearly as excited about BYU football as I used to be. The seasons are all pretty much the same: we win 9-ish games, go to a no-name bowl, and call the season a success. Wash, rinse, repeat.
How far back are you going when this wasn't the case? BYU is the same as it always had been except for that 1984 team that caught lightning when I happened to be 2 yrs old. Every year had some letdowns. I can't say I'm as excited as I used to be, but I was more excited during the crouton years. I probably have more distractions these days.

lawngnome
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by lawngnome »

hawkwing wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:46 pm BYU does not and will not reveal financial information about the athletic department.
I figured they didn't as a private university. It was more of a... if anyone has insider information kind of request.

Personally I would assume that the :utard: makes more from football than BYU (Conference affiliation, share of bowl winnings, etc.), but that all other sports at BYU bring in more than their counterparts at :utard:

I did go on a tour of their football facility with the in laws, and I was impressed. Haven't had the chance to tour any at BYU yet so I can't really compare.

Woody3715
Recruit
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by Woody3715 »

According to the Salt Lake Tribune, the University of Utah's athletic department budget for this year is 72.4 million of income and 72.2 million of expenses. "University support" to the athletic department is only 1.8 million. Interestingly, the U's budget is the second smallest in the Pac12 and smaller than BYU's.

As a comparison, Wisconsin, who the Cougars play next week, has an athletic department budget of 132.4 million this year (including media rights revenue of 41.5 million) and will contribute 5.8 million to the general university budget. Wisconsin's budget is approximately 9th nationally.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Gunk wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:15 pm I like that we are playing LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, etc. But let's face it, those teams are using BYU as a warm up game. Sure we squeaked out a win against Nebraska, but for the most part these teams will roll right over us. Question is do you enjoy watching BYU get steam rolled? I don't.

If we are going to play these types of teams then BYU , fans included, either needs to accept the fact we're a tier below and be okay with getting spanked (hey, we got some money & exposure out of the deal) or we need to decide we're not okay with it and make the changes necessary to compete at that upper level.

Sure, I'd avoid Top 20 teams for now, but certainlt not all P5 schools. Nebraska was a smart schedule. We beat Arizona, Michigan State, and Mississippi State last year alone.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Woody3715
Recruit

Post by Woody3715 »

Arizona was 1-9 in the Pac12 last year, Michigan State 1-8 in the Big10 and Miss State 3-5 in the SEC. Nothing to chirp about.

lawngnome
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by lawngnome »

Woody3715 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:03 am According to the Salt Lake Tribune, the University of Utah's athletic department budget for this year is 72.4 million of income and 72.2 million of expenses. "University support" to the athletic department is only 1.8 million. Interestingly, the U's budget is the second smallest in the Pac12 and smaller than BYU's.

As a comparison, Wisconsin, who the Cougars play next week, has an athletic department budget of 132.4 million this year (including media rights revenue of 41.5 million) and will contribute 5.8 million to the general university budget. Wisconsin's budget is approximately 9th nationally.
Sorry I'm not questioning your info, but as hawkwing said,I didn't think BYU released their financial info.. just curious what the source is on their budget being bigger?

That's very interesting about them being second smallest in the P12.

Hopefully this doesn't come off the wrong way, I'm just actually really curious about the finances of sports programs!

Woody3715
Recruit

Post by Woody3715 »

BYU like all other universities files reports with the U.S. Dept of Educatiopn. People have put together numbers from DOE information. For example: BYU Athletic Department, Total Revenue
2010: $45M
2011: $53M
2012: $54.6M
2013: $60.1M

BYU had greater athletic revenue in 2013 than the U had in 2014. See the post on the Cougar Board of CosmoK dated April 13, 2015.

The bottom line is that the belief of many Cougar fans, that the University of Utah has some huge money advantage which helps explain its better football success, is just false.