hunters and shooters out there...

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Post Reply
User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9212
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

hunters and shooters out there...

Post by BroncoBot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Anyone have any precision rifles? Who did you use and how is it working out? What caliber? I'm looking to potentially build one vs buy a ruger

User avatar
snoscythe
Retired
Posts: 7771
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: hunters and shooters out there...

Post by snoscythe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:35 am

what's your end goal with the gun/build?

"Precision" is pretty broad. You looking for a 1000 yard nickle-puncher, or a 600 yard elk gun, or a little bit of both?

User avatar
snoscythe
Retired
Posts: 7771
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: hunters and shooters out there...

Post by snoscythe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:49 am

I guess your price range is a factor too. I don't know if you're looking at the RPR, or a Ruger American.

User avatar
Ddawg
All Star
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: hunters and shooters out there...

Post by Ddawg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 am

BroncoBot wrote:Anyone have any precision rifles? Who did you use and how is it working out? What caliber? I'm looking to potentially build one vs buy a ruger
I've built 1, and am building a 2nd. You have to define what you want to shoot. Coyote? 5.56, 22-250, or a .243. I personally like a 5.56 (.223) for coyote because of the quick follow up shot.

I built a custom 260. It's a necked down .308 with a 6.5 mm (.264) round. Great for hogs and deer. It has a high ballistic coefficient and does well with 120 gr. It outperforms the ballistics of the .308 without the recoil. Punches paper out to 1,000 yards. It will zoom along around 2800-2900 fps. I hunt effectively with it to 400 yards.

I'm building a 300 WSM right now. It will be an effective deer/elk gun out to 600 yards. For an effective 800 yard gun (deer/elk) I would go with the standard 300 Win Mag.

As a my platform I chose Remington. Other manufacturers build fine guns - Savage, Ruger, and Browning. But, if you want to build a custom, they have limited aftermarket parts. Especially in the "trigger" category - which is critical for long range. Using a Remington is like buying a Chevy. Lots of aftermarket parts and custom gunsmiths for Remingtons are like blinking your eyes - they are everywhere.

Here's what I used in my 260 build. I bought a Remington - stainless action. I definitely wanted stainless for inclement weather hunting. Barrel - Bartlein #3, stainless, 24". It takes 4-6 months to get a Bartlein barrel after you order it. They are good barrels. Stock - Manners 100% carbon elite tactical. Trigger - Timney.

Basically, here's what my 260 looks like.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8

I don't recommend going the route I did. It's time consuming and expensive. Probably better off buying a Remington Sendero (a good shooter), a Savage (they shoot well and are accurate out of the box), or a Browning (they shoot well stock).

BTW, I'm looking hard at getting a 338 Lapua as my dedicated elk rifle. I won't build a custom 338 Lapua. I'll probably get a Desert Tech (DT SRS A1 338). They are awesome out to 1,200 yards+ for elk. Then you have another topic to address - the glass you put on top.

Check out the DT SRS A1 -
http://www.eurooptic.com/dta-srs-338l-26-ffm.aspx

Good luck.

imuakahuku
All-American
Posts: 1577
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:49 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: hunters and shooters out there...

Post by imuakahuku » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:21 pm

How about one like this? Could be a good do-it-yourself project. Its fully auto and I don't think it even requires a license. And it can help you put up a fence in minutes! :)

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2008 ... -nail-gun/

Image
Last edited by imuakahuku on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9212
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: hunters and shooters out there...

Post by BroncoBot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:31 pm

snoscythe wrote:what's your end goal with the gun/build?

"Precision" is pretty broad. You looking for a 1000 yard nickle-puncher, or a 600 yard elk gun, or a little bit of both?
bit o'both. Want to be able to get out to 1000 consistently, but wouldn't mind hunting with it either. price - around 1500 when all is said and done. I reload, so cost of bullets off the shelves not as big of a concern.

precision - looking for something like the Ruger Precision Rifle, but if there's a better option, I'm all ears. I'd probably do more varminting vs elk with it as I know it's going to be a bear to pack all day. Also, I absolutely want a AI magaine to get 10 round capacity.
Last edited by BroncoBot on Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9212
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: hunters and shooters out there...

Post by BroncoBot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:44 pm

Ddawg wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:Anyone have any precision rifles? Who did you use and how is it working out? What caliber? I'm looking to potentially build one vs buy a ruger
I've built 1, and am building a 2nd. You have to define what you want to shoot. Coyote? 5.56, 22-250, or a .243. I personally like a 5.56 (.223) for coyote because of the quick follow up shot.

I built a custom 260. It's a necked down .308 with a 6.5 mm (.264) round. Great for hogs and deer. It has a high ballistic coefficient and does well with 120 gr. It outperforms the ballistics of the .308 without the recoil. Punches paper out to 1,000 yards. It will zoom along around 2800-2900 fps. I hunt effectively with it to 400 yards.

I'm building a 300 WSM right now. It will be an effective deer/elk gun out to 600 yards. For an effective 800 yard gun (deer/elk) I would go with the standard 300 Win Mag.

As a my platform I chose Remington. Other manufacturers build fine guns - Savage, Ruger, and Browning. But, if you want to build a custom, they have limited aftermarket parts. Especially in the "trigger" category - which is critical for long range. Using a Remington is like buying a Chevy. Lots of aftermarket parts and custom gunsmiths for Remingtons are like blinking your eyes - they are everywhere.

Here's what I used in my 260 build. I bought a Remington - stainless action. I definitely wanted stainless for inclement weather hunting. Barrel - Bartlein #3, stainless, 24". It takes 4-6 months to get a Bartlein barrel after you order it. They are good barrels. Stock - Manners 100% carbon elite tactical. Trigger - Timney.

Basically, here's what my 260 looks like.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... mrc&uact=8

I don't recommend going the route I did. It's time consuming and expensive. Probably better off buying a Remington Sendero (a good shooter), a Savage (they shoot well and are accurate out of the box), or a Browning (they shoot well stock).

BTW, I'm looking hard at getting a 338 Lapua as my dedicated elk rifle. I won't build a custom 338 Lapua. I'll probably get a Desert Tech (DT SRS A1 338). They are awesome out to 1,200 yards+ for elk. Then you have another topic to address - the glass you put on top.

Check out the DT SRS A1 -
http://www.eurooptic.com/dta-srs-338l-26-ffm.aspx

Good luck.
Sounds like an excellent build Ddawg. I think the .260 sounds pretty amazing. Here's my question for you. Why didn't you go with 6.5 CM? Seems to be a lot more 6.5 on the shelves where I'm living. Agreed that Remington does seem to have the most aftermarket goods to throw at a rifle. I don't necessarily think I need a RPR, but it certainly seems to have it's place. Would be great for laying down and smoking ground squirrels with some .223 or plinking.

I'd probably prefer more of a hybrid. Something like you built Ddawg. .338 also sounds like a fun round. But I have an -06 (ruger american) which gets the job done fine for bigger game.

I suppose I'm looking or a target (long range) type gun that I could also use for hunting but not carry around all day. probably something in the 6mm -6.5mm category. Has anyone had any luck with SAVAGE and rebarreling? I'd be interested in picking up a Savage in .308 and rebarreling it to .260 Remington. Then tossing the factory stock and putting a nice aluminum bedded stock on it.

Imuakahuku, I'll look into the Dewalt. Always enjoy adding tools to the toolbox. ha ha.

User avatar
Ddawg
All Star
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: hunters and shooters out there...

Post by Ddawg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:51 pm

BroncoBot - IMHO, dollar for dollar the Savage is really tough to beat. They have really turned things around there in the last 10 years and offer a solid, accurate weapon at a reasonable price. I have looked at Savage many times and will pick one or two up in the future.

You are correct, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a great round. Ballistically they are pretty similar. The 6.5 CM and the 260 are ballistically nearly twins. They both shoot the 6.5mm, or 260 (actually .264).

In hindsight, I should have gotten the 6.5 CM. Ammo is more available. I jumped into the Rem 260 world and opened a can of reloading. It's not bad - but ya gotta do it.

You might want to look at the new 6.5x300 Weatherby. It's a laser shooter. They necked down a 300 Weatherby mag and put a 6.5mm (260) in it. It clips along at 3,500 fps. A laser.

The thing about the 6.5x300 Way is, recoil is low, it shoots flatter than a Bryce Harper line drive, and (you won't believe this), it ballistically outperforms a 300 Win Mag at 1,000 yards. The Ballistic Coefficient is scary. All those dang 6.5's have scary BC's. That's why I jumped into the Rem 260.

Here's a link to an article on the Wby 6.5 -
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles ... 0-wby-mag/

Only negative about the 6.5x300 Wby is, it's a barrel burner. Way overbore. Just like the 6.5x284. They are awesome too - but - they shoot a hot, hot load. Hence = barrel burner. Probably get 1,000 rounds through the barrel before you begin to open up your groups and loose pin-point accuracy.

Here's a 6.5 SAUM built by GAP (Georgia Precision custom Rifles) that I have been drooling over. Ballistically, it is the BOMB - and it does not burn barrels up. The only draw back is, you are jumping deep into the reloading world. But, you can effectively and comfortably shoo everything from Coyote, White Tail, Mule Deer, Black Bear, and Elk - out to 700 yards (shooting a 130-140 gr. pill at 3100 fps.). Coyote you can take to 1,000 yards, if you have the glass and skill. The guys that shoot the 6.5 GAP SAUM (based on the RSAUM - Remington Short Action Ultra Mag) swear you can take any game in North America with it - and have. Mule Deer, White Tail, Caribou, Big Horn Sheep (all 4 type - Grand Slam), Elk, Black Bear, Moose, Grizzly (not me), Polar Bear (not me), and Buffalo (not me). Anyway, the guy that in created the 6.5 GAP SAUM 4s - George Gardner, is one helluva gunsmith. He's called OB-1, the founder and president of GAP rifles.

Feast your eyes and drool ..... (I do). It's called the 6.5 Extreme Hunter by GAP.
http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision ... unter.html

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9212
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: hunters and shooters out there...

Post by BroncoBot » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 pm

ANyone used a savage stealth in 6.5 CM? I like the idea of savage as I could swap the barrel to another caliber if I wanted a project down the line. Also, while the 6.5CM is red hot right now, it may fall out of favor as some of the short magnums have. Early reviews are promising on the gun itself though.

Can get it at bud's for $916 + $150 rebate currently. Leaves some money on the table for decent optics.

Post Reply