Ice Cube and Bill Maher

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Ice Cube and Bill Maher

Post by BroncoBot »

Oh the delicious ironies.
Ice cube calls Bill Maher out on using the "n" word but says bill sounds like a "redneck trucker". Now I know it's the evil male whites that are to blame for everyone problems these days, but calling someone a name and then acting offended that someone used a certain word seems pretty weak.

This is coming from a rapper who has homophobic, racist, violent lyrics. But he can't tolerate when someone isn't PC.

He's attacking Bill who appears to be pretty shocked that someone is actually calling him out. The left is great to watch these days. I wonder if Bill, by virtue of being on the left, has decided that the use of the "n" word is appropriate for him to use. After all, he is a defender of the cause of the left which includes minorities who need his (and the left's) protection. He's half homie himself, right?

But I'm an admittedly white straight male adult who voted for Trump and still clings to my religion, my family and my guns. So my opinion is likely null and void. What a time to be alive.

Mars
Retired

Re: Ice Cube and Bill Maher

Post by Mars »

I hope Maher is fired.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Can we end the use of the word "homophobia"? Phobias are actual specific anxiety disorders. Homophobia is not one of them. Using "homophobia" is actually the same as using the word "retarded" We are telling people with anxiety disorders that they are somehow substandard people based solely on their anxiety disorder, that because of their phobia they are worthy of derision. We are also telling them that their cure is to simply "stop being irrational" - which is what I understand the "cure" for "homophobia" is.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

ABYUFAN wrote:Can we end the use of the word "homophobia"? Phobias are actual specific anxiety disorders. Homophobia is not one of them. Using "homophobia" is actually the same as using the word "retarded" We are telling people with anxiety disorders that they are somehow substandard people based solely on their anxiety disorder, that because of their phobia they are worthy of derision. We are also telling them that their cure is to simply "stop being irrational" - which is what I understand the "cure" for "homophobia" is.
The dictionary disagrees with you: "an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation"

A medical dictionary may have a separate definition, but the more common meaning is not that strict. It just has to be an exaggerated fear beyond the norm.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:Can we end the use of the word "homophobia"? Phobias are actual specific anxiety disorders. Homophobia is not one of them. Using "homophobia" is actually the same as using the word "retarded" We are telling people with anxiety disorders that they are somehow substandard people based solely on their anxiety disorder, that because of their phobia they are worthy of derision. We are also telling them that their cure is to simply "stop being irrational" - which is what I understand the "cure" for "homophobia" is.
The dictionary disagrees with you: "an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation"

A medical dictionary may have a separate definition, but the more common meaning is not that strict. It just has to be an exaggerated fear beyond the norm.
I'm not sure what there is to disagree with, phobias appear in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fifth edition. Homophobia is not there. We are attacking people with actual DSM-V conditions when we use the term "homophobia." Just like we used to attack others with specific conditions when we used the term "retarded" in the 80's As a society we've moved past "retarded" and I look forward when we do with our " -phobia" obsession.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

ABYUFAN wrote:
snoscythe wrote:

I'm not sure what there is to disagree with, phobias appear in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fifth edition. Homophobia is not there. We are attacking people with actual DSM-V conditions when we use the term "homophobia." Just like we used to attack others with specific conditions when we used the term "retarded" in the 80's As a society we've moved past "retarded" and I look forward when we do with our " -phobia" obsession.
I'm rolling my eyes at this post as hard as I roll my eyes when someone says "R-word" instead of retarded.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
snoscythe wrote:

I'm rolling my eyes at this post as hard as I roll my eyes when someone says "R-word" instead of retarded.
I would have more respect for someone to actually use the word retarded than someone who used the term "R-word." Of course I have less respect for both of those people than someone who doesn't use either.

to be clear "Retarded" is a fourth-grade word. I think "Homophobia" is as well. In a professional setting if either of those terms comes up I assume that the speaker is probably not worth listening to.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

"Homophobia" is such an absurd term. It implies that, while homosexuals can engage in all types of disgusting, unnatural, and deviant behavior, anyone who objects to that is the one with the problem.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

KingCoug wrote:"Homophobia" is such an absurd term. It implies that, while homosexuals can engage in all types of disgusting, unnatural, and deviant behavior, anyone who objects to that is the one with the problem.
I think you're a Homophobe, and very Disgusting. 8)

Have a great 4th of July.