This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: This Just In: Depression and Anxiety Special Edition

Post by BOID »

There is a way to describe the difference between merely "feeling" depressed, and otherwise being unfortunate enough to have clinical depression. It makes it more understandable to the non-medical/lay folks.

Environmental Depression:
This is situational, and therefore temporary. It's based on sad, or stressful circumstances. All people can, and do experience this. Although it can be profound, and debilitating, it improves when the difficult circumstances resolve. It's outwardly visible severity can be somewhat muted by an individual's strength of character/stoicism/stiff upper lip, but the stoic still suffers inwardly. These sufferers are advised to "hang on, persevere; better times are coming." Sometimes antidepressants are prescribed briefly, to help people weather the storm.

Physiological Depression:
This is a very different thing, and is caused by insufficient synaptic function of certain cerebral neurons. Feelings of severe anxiety can result from inadequate neurotransmitter molecules, especially norepinephrine and serotonin, which act at these synapses. The anxiety is closely linked to depression. Severe anxiety is exhausting, stressful, and when it subsides, the individual is left with severe depression. These events are not related to external incidents, circumstances, relationships, or behaviors. They cannot be managed by advice, counseling, psychotherapy, or by other attempts to improve attitude, hope, or belief. This kind of anxiety/depression is a physical disorder, and not a spiritual, or psychological one. It must be respected and managed as a purely physical disease, such as diabetes or epilepsy. Still, behavioral/attitude problems usually exist as overlying issues, due to the sufferer's conscious level of frustration/hopelessness, which naturally result from the inexorable/incurable nature of the underlying physiological problem. These people need pharmaceutical therapy to stabilize their physiological problem with the neurotransmitters. Only when relieved from the severe anxiety/ depression, can they then respond to counseling for hope, self esteem, and moral support from others (which they also need).

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Great post BOID. I think that's very insightful.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Thanks, Hawk.

uncoug
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by uncoug »

I haven't posted much on this site but have enjoyed reading everyone's posts over the past couple of years. I was very touched by what Tanner posted on his page. I have suffered from mild depression and anxiety for most of my life. Once I was able to recognize it for what it was I was able to take corrective actions that have helped me without resorting to medication. I was very lucky that it is very mild.

Our oldest child hasn't had the easier path that I had. It started coming on as she hit 7th grade and became unbearable for her about 2 years ago when she was in 9th grade. She all but turned into a shell of herself and her fun nature all but disappeared. She tried everything from prayer to fasting and still couldn't get her feelings of worthlessness to leave. As we began to notice the changes and tried to talk with her, she would go from depressed to angry in seconds and then to sobbing from getting angry. It took us 2 years and 3 doctors to finally find a medication that worked with her system and we still have our struggles.

As a parent there is no scarier thing than have your child openly talk about ending their life. Her testimony was hurt by the depression because of the way many treated her at church and how she had a hard time believing that god made her in a manner where her brain tells her she should hate herself. She is slowly regaining her testimony and things have gotten much better over the past 6 months but my wife and I are constantly on edge. I post this not to tell you our story but to let others who might have children or spouses that struggle that you are not alone.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Thank you for sharing your story.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

uncoug wrote:I haven't posted much on this site but have enjoyed reading everyone's posts over the past couple of years. I was very touched by what Tanner posted on his page. I have suffered from mild depression and anxiety for most of my life. Once I was able to recognize it for what it was I was able to take corrective actions that have helped me without resorting to medication. I was very lucky that it is very mild.

Our oldest child hasn't had the easier path that I had. It started coming on as she hit 7th grade and became unbearable for her about 2 years ago when she was in 9th grade. She all but turned into a shell of herself and her fun nature all but disappeared. She tried everything from prayer to fasting and still couldn't get her feelings of worthlessness to leave. As we began to notice the changes and tried to talk with her, she would go from depressed to angry in seconds and then to sobbing from getting angry. It took us 2 years and 3 doctors to finally find a medication that worked with her system and we still have our struggles.

As a parent there is no scarier thing than have your child openly talk about ending their life. Her testimony was hurt by the depression because of the way many treated her at church and how she had a hard time believing that god made her in a manner where her brain tells her she should hate herself. She is slowly regaining her testimony and things have gotten much better over the past 6 months but my wife and I are constantly on edge. I post this not to tell you our story but to let others who might have children or spouses that struggle that you are not alone.
My prayers are with you and your daughter who, of course is also a daughter of our Father in Heaven.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

The biological science is very interesting. They've actually identified some of the main genes responsible for depression. They can test your DNA to find out if you have those genes, and if you inherited those genes from your mother, your father, or both. I happen to have got them from both sides, meaning I have about 20% of the brain chemicals that help a person cope with stress of what the average person has. When the tub is full, so to speak, no problem. But the tub empties quickly, and once it's empty my ability to cope in a practical, healthy manner drops off steeply. It's good for me to be aware of.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I appreciate and admire the courage it takes to post about these details. If anyone needs any help, let me know.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

One interesting correlation is high intelligence. It seems to be a price that some among the super-intelligent must pay. I don't know how the genetic link occurs, or if anyone knows, but this observation has been made.

My wife and I are very functional, but when sleep deprived, the tank (good analogy, Mars), runs out. After a good night's sleep, then everything is back in order. Our tendencies for this seem to have compounded in our children, and all three of them carry an increased burden.

Our story goes very much the same as uncoug's post above. It was bewildering and frustrating to see this happen, and it took us a long time and a lot of counseling to finally get it sorted out. One of our kids was hit hard by this disorder when he was 14 years old. He tried to compensate by acting cool and non- chalant, but before long, he could not think his way through his school work, and eventually could not get out of bed. He had been a straight A student before, and he did not know what was happening to him. He kept trying to blame his struggles on external events or circumstances. He was in denial because he was terrified of the possibility that the problem had arisen within him.

Eventually, we found a particularly insightful counselor who told him that the depression was not his fault, and it did not define him. He referred our son to a pediatric psychiatrist. Several therapeutic trials were unsuccessful, but finally some partial relief was afforded by pharmacological manipulation. It was as though our son had been semi comatose and then finally woke up. His old self re- emerged.

It is still very difficult for him, but his character and personality are recognizable again. It has been a great relief for him to know that his problems are physical, and not the result of sinfulness, or lack of faith. We have tried to comfort him, and our other children, with the reassurance that the Lord does not choose to heal all of us. There remain among us, righteous individuals that are still blind, still paraplegic. Severe anxiety/depressive disorder is like those other physical challenges. It is perhaps his lot in life. We all have our particular challenges to carry in this mortal life, and that is perhaps one of his, one that he must learn to cope with, as he endures to the end.

He still requires medication in order to be functional and happy, but he has regained some testimony that his Father in Heaven, and his Lord, Jesus Christ, have not forsaken him. His best moments come and go, but he is able to feel, spiritually, during his best moments.

screamineagle2
Recruit

Post by screamineagle2 »

Thank you all of you that have posted personnel stories and experiences on this thread. It has been insightful and helpful and reminded me what a good bunch of people are on this site.