Coach Rose

BYU Cougars on the court.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Coach Rose

Post by Brayden Green »

First time in a long time. I lurked for a while but I have been so busy with my (newish) job that I haven't posted.

I saw an interesting thread on Rumorboard that I thought was worth sharing here:
http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=17505122

Here are the records for teams 320th or worse in experience and minutes continuity, per Kenpom

BYU: 22-11
Maine: 7-25
Northern Colorado: 11-18
South Florida: 7-22
Auburn: 18-14
Harvard: 18-9
Kentucky: 26-5
Oregon State: 5-27
Mississippi State: 16-16
Illinois-Chicago: 15-18

Honorable mention goes to Oklahoma, who was in the Final Four last year and is 334th in experience and 304th in minutes continuity. They finished 11-20 this year. For more info on minutes continuity, see http://kenpom.com/blog/measuring-continuity/
So I did some math, and the average number of games played for all non-BYU teams is 31 rounded. Average number of wins is 14 rounded. So the average non-BYU team in the same scenario of went 14-17.
If you take out Kentucky, that number changes to an 11 - 20 overall average.

Food for thought.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Re: Coach Rose

Post by SpiffCoug »

Welcome back.

I'm still disappointed in Rose. I think he's made some poor roster decisions (helping guys who clearly would have helped the program this year "move on" to other schools) and put too many eggs in the LP3 basket.

This is the sixth year in the WCC, and we've finished 5 games out of 1st, 2 games, 4 games, 2 games, 6 games, and 2 games. We've only finished 2nd twice.

Rose has yet to find a way to motivate his teams in the non-Gonzaga, non-St. Mary's gyms. Since BYU joined the WCC, Gonzaga has three losses to teams other than SMC and BYU. BYU has 16 losses to teams other than Gonzaga and SMC.

That's on Rose. That has to change. It's unacceptable. Gonzaga doesn't drop games. They go in to places like Pepperdine and San Diego (where BYU lost by 16 and 13 this year) and win by 47 and 58. Sorry, but the Zags aren't 63 and 71 points better than we are. Rose simply MUST find a way to eliminate these head-scratching losses.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

SpiffCoug wrote:Welcome back.

I'm still disappointed in Rose. I think he's made some poor roster decisions (helping guys who clearly would have helped the program this year "move on" to other schools) and put too many eggs in the LP3 basket.

This is the sixth year in the WCC, and we've finished 5 games out of 1st, 2 games, 4 games, 2 games, 6 games, and 2 games. We've only finished 2nd twice.

Rose has yet to find a way to motivate his teams in the non-Gonzaga, non-St. Mary's gyms. Since BYU joined the WCC, Gonzaga has three losses to teams other than SMC and BYU. BYU has 16 losses to teams other than Gonzaga and SMC.

That's on Rose. That has to change. It's unacceptable. Gonzaga doesn't drop games. They go in to places like Pepperdine and San Diego (where BYU lost by 16 and 13 this year) and win by 47 and 58. Sorry, but the Zags aren't 63 and 71 points better than we are. Rose simply MUST find a way to eliminate these head-scratching losses.
Thanks. I have a little spare time I've carved out for myself.

It's not like Rose suggested they leave so he could go out and get Steven Beo. The players that left didn't want to spend 3 years coming off of the bench, and I don't blame them for that. Our bench is quite possibly the worst scoring bench in the WCC. That is a problem. The entire non-starting roster should find their seats incredibly warm. But, that leads me to my next point...

Coming to the WCC was a huge hit to recruiting, and to our SoS. I had never heard of it until BYU signed up with it. It makes a narrow recruiting pool that much narrower. Young teams lose head scratchers. BYU hasn't been Senior laden for quite a few years now. Also, losing Rice and Pope hurt a lot.

It's a lot of things. Rose is spoken about in elite circles, and is addressed up amongst the best and we are lucky to have him.

UCChris
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by UCChris »

All I can say is that I can't wait until this team is led by Beo, Guinn, Leifson, and Bryant. The LP3 come off as arrogant and selfish when playing. It's impossible to play inside out basketball when Mika is a black hole. He takes the ball to the hoop 99.9%. Emery and Haws shot selection makes them look like Jimmer wannabee's.

Brayden, now that Anae is gone, you're mantra should be #RoseGoes. ;) All in fun...

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

green, you're gonna have to show me how byu has had difficulty recruiting since wcc. this has to be one of the highest rated teams ever at byu. who was rose recruiting in the mwc that was better than mika, Haws, Emery, even Bryant and Aytes were highly recruited. I, for one don't buy the old "wcc is worse for recruiting because of high school gyms" line. I think recruiting has never been better. At the very least, it's as good as it has ever been for BYU bball. BYU got to play a number one seed 2x this year and beat the number one team in the country. when did ByU do that in MWC? Heck, even Jimmer wasn't highly recruited back in the mwc days. we've lost exactly 2 recruiting battles of significance... parker and jackson. BYU gonna lose those guys 9 out of 10 times if duke or unc or Kentucky offers. it's not due to being in wcc.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Yeah, I'm not buying the whole conference thing either. First, it's not like we went from the Big 12 to the MVC. RPI rankings right now actually have the WCC #9 and MWC #10 so we're right on par and even better than before. Plus, it's been, what, six years now? If Rose can't adjust after six years what does that say about him?

You know who got screwed? UConn. They went from the Big East who is #3 this year to the American who is actually surprisingly is at #7 (I would imagine that they've been much lower previous seasons). They've won 4 NCAA tournaments and now they're in a minor conference. They won just 3 years ago (which I believe was their first season in the AAC but with players all recruited while in the Big East) and this year they have fallen to 16-17 including 9-9 in AAC play.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

The MWC has really fallen off since we left. If the MWC wasn't so proud they could had kept us minus football and been better off. Their loss.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

byufan4ever wrote:Yeah, I'm not buying the whole conference thing either. First, it's not like we went from the Big 12 to the MVC. RPI rankings right now actually have the WCC #9 and MWC #10 so we're right on par and even better than before. Plus, it's been, what, six years now? If Rose can't adjust after six years what does that say about him?

You know who got screwed? UConn. They went from the Big East who is #3 this year to the American who is actually surprisingly is at #7 (I would imagine that they've been much lower previous seasons). They've won 4 NCAA tournaments and now they're in a minor conference. They won just 3 years ago (which I believe was their first season in the AAC but with players all recruited while in the Big East) and this year they have fallen to 16-17 including 9-9 in AAC play.
That's because UConn is now a women's basketball school. Of course, that team isn't even competitive, but it's the biggest program at that school.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

scott715 wrote:The MWC has really fallen off since we left. If the MWC wasn't so proud they could had kept us minus football and been better off. Their loss.
MWC lost Utah and BYU. Two, consistent top 50 - 75 rpi teams. At the time, New Mexico, UNLV, and newly added Utah State went into downward spirals. Even if we had stayed, I don't think the MWC would have been much better than the WCC. The only legit team in that conference now is San Diego.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

UCChris wrote:All I can say is that I can't wait until this team is led by Beo, Guinn, Leifson, and Bryant. The LP3 come off as arrogant and selfish when playing. It's impossible to play inside out basketball when Mika is a black hole. He takes the ball to the hoop 99.9%. Emery and Haws shot selection makes them look like Jimmer wannabee's.
What a fun 30 total team ppg that will be! Hopefully they play perfect defense and never foul.