BYU Cougars on the court.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: history

Post by snoscythe »

BlueK wrote:
snoscythe wrote:How much was Stan Watts being paid? How much were tickets to the games? You can even control for inflation.
Not sure how this is relevant.
Different times/environment = Different expectations

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

snoscythe wrote:
BlueK wrote:
snoscythe wrote:How much was Stan Watts being paid? How much were tickets to the games? You can even control for inflation.
Not sure how this is relevant.
Different times/environment = Different expectations
I'm pretty sure I said that.

The difference is enormous though. I'm having a hard time overlooking that.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

We've gotten used to the level of success Rose brought and want/expect more. People are rarely okay with plateauing and we all have short memories. And, in this day in age of constant comparison and envy, it's hard not to feel like we "deserve" what others have.

While I think Rose's battle with cancer may have affected his intensity, I think the biggest culprits for the drop in success are Jimmer and Rice leaving.

Jimmer made it okay to hog the ball, take bad shots, and slack on defense. Current players all watched him do it and saw all the fans go bonkers over it.

I know Rice wasn't over the defense, but for whatever reason the defense has dropped off since he left. BYU's defensive stats took a nose dive.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Pope was a loss too.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Gunk wrote:We've gotten used to the level of success Rose brought and want/expect more. People are rarely okay with plateauing and we all have short memories. And, in this day in age of constant comparison and envy, it's hard not to feel like we "deserve" what others have.

While I think Rose's battle with cancer may have affected his intensity, I think the biggest culprits for the drop in success are Jimmer and Rice leaving.

Jimmer made it okay to hog the ball, take bad shots, and slack on defense. Current players all watched him do it and saw all the fans go bonkers over it.

I know Rice wasn't over the defense, but for whatever reason the defense has dropped off since he left. BYU's defensive stats took a nose dive.
I think the biggest culprit was a couple of bad recruiting classes in a row right before Jimmer was done. That's on him obviously. But he made up for it starting in 2013. It's just that with missions it takes 3 years to get something out of a recruiting class here.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

I know Rice wasn't over the defense, but for whatever reason the defense has dropped off since he left. BYU's defensive stats took a nose dive.[/quote]

I agree Gunk. Last year Fisher would bomb 3s all the time and Emery would too. When they were falling BYU could beat almost anybody, and as you say the fans would go bonkers. Too often they clanked off the rim giving the ball to the other team. I remember when Fisher had a 40 point game but that was a rare occurrence. It goes without saying that team ball is more consistent than streak shooting.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

The bellweather and most frustrating aspect of this team for me is Nick Emery.

He is the exact same player he was last season--not one iota of improvement, accumulated wisdom, or maturity growth. He's still the reckless Jimmer-ball freshman by the eye test, and his stats are nearly identical this season to what they were last season--he's about 1% better in shooting percentages, but that's offset by a marginally worse assist-to-turnover ratio and he's giving 1 ppg less.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... nick-emery

If the story of this team is their youth and we're supposed to buy into the idea that they'll get better with time, Emery sure isn't giving me any confidence in that coming to fruition.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

snoscythe wrote:The bellweather and most frustrating aspect of this team for me is Nick Emery.

He is the exact same player he was last season--not one iota of improvement, accumulated wisdom, or maturity growth. He's still the reckless Jimmer-ball freshman by the eye test, and his stats are nearly identical this season to what they were last season--he's about 1% better in shooting percentages, but that's offset by a marginally worse assist-to-turnover ratio and he's giving 1 ppg less.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... nick-emery

If the story of this team is their youth and we're supposed to buy into the idea that they'll get better with time, Emery sure isn't giving me any confidence in that coming to fruition.
His defense is better.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Emery needs to accept there isn't an NBA career waiting for him and just play solid team ball. Take a shot when it's there and hustle on defense.

In fact, if he did that, his prospects as a professional player would increase. His defense has gotten lots better and we desperately need all the defense we can get, so keep him on the court. Just take better shots and don't force things.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Gunk wrote:Emery needs to accept there isn't an NBA career waiting for him and just play solid team ball. Take a shot when it's there and hustle on defense.

In fact, if he did that, his prospects as a professional player would increase. His defense has gotten lots better and we desperately need all the defense we can get, so keep him on the court. Just take better shots and don't force things.
I think his shot selection is a lot better over the last few games than it was early in the year when he thought he role was to be one of the top scorers. He's clearly working on defense and lately his shots have usually made more sense for the most part.