line in the sand...

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: line in the sand...

Post by hawkwing »

Of course after I comment on the fact that UVU is getting creamed.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

UVU holds on to lose.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

hawkwing wrote:UVU is getting creamed right now so expect that RPI to drop significantly.
They lost last night to 4-3 Washington St 83-76, at Washington St. Says they're not the bottom of the barrel team, but not one you would have expected to score 114 points on anyone on the opponents home floor.

Now, they can get out of my disfavor very easily--pound the Pukes on December 6th! Then I'll take it as a legitimate loss.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

EM_Puma wrote:
hawkwing wrote:UVU is getting creamed right now so expect that RPI to drop significantly.
They lost last night to 4-3 Washington St 83-76, at Washington St. Says they're not the bottom of the barrel team, but not one you would have expected to score 114 points on anyone on the opponents home floor.

Now, they can get out of my disfavor very easily--pound the Pukes on December 6th! Then I'll take it as a legitimate loss.
Partly, Washington took their foot off the gas after being up by 20 and let UVU make this game look closer than it really was.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

hawkwing wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:

Partly, Washington took their foot off the gas after being up by 20 and let UVU make this game look closer than it really was.
1:06 Brandon Randolph made Dunk. 76 - 77

Pretty silly on the part of Washington State to take their foot off the gas and let it become a 1 point game with a minute to go. All in all, still a terrible loss by BYU.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

BroncoBot wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:I think this BYU team is going to struggle a bit off the bat. Much like GSW did last night with the spurs. BYU will lose some games they have no business losing.
First half of the blue/white game did nothing to alleviate my fears or create new fears. First of all, Bryant, mika and rose and obviously Bryant were not playing. All should be contributors. Otherwise, the Blue white game was more of a high school game than a D1 basetball game.

I WAS impressed with Leifson, Beo and Dastrup. Aytes is huge, but may not be a huge contributor... again. Was expecting more of TJ Haws, but I haven't seen the 2nd half. He did have a great pass to a certain Kyle Davis right before half for the alley-oop at the buzzer. Worth looking that one up if you didn't see the game.

Will report more after watching the 2nd half. Team is young. They are going to struggle with teams that have a lot of chemistry and leadership.

Nashif yesterday said that coaches were looking for "the heart of the team" so they could build around that. I still think the first half of the year could be more losses than the usual BYU team. 2nd half of the season I expect big gain in the way the team plays.

Still think anything over 20 wins will be great.
Funny to go back and read some of the predictions. BYU exceeded my expectations by 2 games. The way it ended was a bit sour though. I still feel that BYU is just a glorified high school team at this point. LP3 still chasing their dreams if you will. It's felt that way for a few seasons now. I thought I wouldn't miss KC, but I DO. Guy kept us in a lot of games. Thought that TJ would be a bigger asset than he was this year.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:22
WINNER! although you didn't state regular season or total wins. ;)

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BlueK wrote:Also, I understand why the pundits are giving St. Mary's a lot of respect right now. They had a good record last year and return everyone. Last year there wasn't that much difference between their team and ours. They managed to avoid losing to anyone in the WCC they shouldn't have like our loss to Pacific. That was essentially the difference in the regular season. They also went to the NIT, were also seeded #2, but we got one round deeper than they did. They got blown out by Valpo right before Valpo beat us in the semis by 2 points.

But the way I see it, the pundits are just more familiar right now with who SMC is bringing back next year than they are with who we will have. In another thread I mentioned the significant talent level difference between the group of players who left us after last year and the group coming in. I think we'll be more talented than SMC. They will have continuity, but by the time conference play starts I think we will have gained quite a bit in that area. But our talent will be at a higher level in general and we will be bigger in the frontcourt. I don't see them beating us in Provo. We will just have to take care of business in the other games. Also, we've forgotten that losing a few games every year that we shouldn't is mostly a post-Jimmer/WCC phenomenon. Rose's teams before 2012 almost never lost to anyone they shouldn't. It was one of his hallmarks. We've struggled with talent and depth ever since that great 2011 season. I think that's fixed starting this year.
SMC must have put this on their bulletin board...

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

LOL, good thoughts at the start of the season. Thanks for posting this, it's good to admit when we made a mistake.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BroncoBot wrote:
Mars wrote:22
WINNER! although you didn't state regular season or total wins. ;)
And yet, here I am feeling disappointed still... :~(

I continue to feel that Rose and Mika should get to finish their careers together, whenever that is.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars