Cincinnati game

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Cincinnati game

Post by BroncoBot »

Here's one video for those who didn't get to watch the game.

Every BYU defensive play

Defense was stellar. Great on 3rd down, passes broken up in the endzone, had 2 big 4th down stops in the 4th q. Turned a first an goal into a missed FG from the 22yard line. Tuiaki had it goin on yesterday. The defense alone would have been worth the price of admission.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Re: Cincinnati game

Post by byufan4ever »

As one who was not able to watch I'd like to hear more about our defense. What did we do well that worked? Or was Cincinnati just that bad?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

byufan4ever wrote:As one who was not able to watch I'd like to hear more about our defense. What did we do well that worked? Or was Cincinnati just that bad?
The video covers it really well and doesn't take much time to watch. I felt like Cincinnati has some real offensive weapons, but the defense made big plays in big moments.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

byufan4ever wrote:As one who was not able to watch I'd like to hear more about our defense. What did we do well that worked? Or was Cincinnati just that bad?
I thought our defense looked bad, but Cincy's offense looked worse. But that's just me.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I thought the defense was abysmal, Cincinnati is just such a poor offensive team they could do nothing.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SMH. Guess we'll have to wait for Spiff's analysis regarding BYU's defense vs other defenses. Cinci averaged 23 points a game before BYU.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Here is a replay of the whole game.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

My impressions are:

Taysom Hill didn't look as bad as another poster said in another thread. The offense is predictable, one of the announcers was calling BYU's plays based on formation and was right every time, if the announcer can recognize a run formation and call it, so can the defense. The offensive line is horrible. BYU had 200 yards rushing but 75 of that was on Taysom Hill's running on broken plays. Jamaal ran well but the offensive line wasn't opening holes consistantly for him. Ty Detmer calls throwing plays based on the horrible offensive line and that is why all of Taysom's throws are short. Taysom hill under threw Trinnaman twice, one was a completion the other was an interception. The completion could have been a TD if he hadn't under thrown him. Not sure if that is lack of arm strength, a late thrown ball on a real fast guy, or if Trinnaman is just so fast that Taysom can't get the ball in front of him. The receivers are still soft. Kurtz had a couple balls that he could have caught if he had gone after them harder. He played more physical in this game but is still soft. I am convinced that Jeurgens is the only reciever that plays with any passion. I don't know what the solution is, but this really needs to change or we are going to have people demanding that Tanner get benched next year when the throw game is still struggling. Last but not least, the defense is really good at taking away the ball from the other team but not good at stopping the other team from getting yards. BYU's defensive line still gets no pressure on the QB's and if it wasn't for really good secondary play (and linebackers in some cases), the defense would really be struggling. Langi is not a good DE, he gets stoned by his Olineman on every play, or lines up offsides to get a jump.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

My impression: that was a workmanlike game. Not much in the way of highlights or memorable plays. Cincinnati is struggling to be sure. But I'd call it workmanlike

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Offense and defense looked fine. Nothing great, but a solid win against a mediocre team on the road.

Taysom's interception was severely underthrown, but he only had like 3 truly bad throws the entire game - and one was caught for a 43-yard gain (a good throw would have been a 54-yard TD pass).

But, Taysom completed some great throws in tight coverage and played extremely well in the run game and on 3rd down. My only 3rd down complaint was 2 or 3 times where he hit the open man, but the route was well short of the first down marker.

I thoroughly enjoyed Taysom's nifty scramble-pass to MLP that was overturned because MLP barely stepped out of bounds before the catch.

Taysom isn't being asked to throw for 300 yards per game. We had three 6+ minute scoring drives. That is BYU's game plan - and get used to it. Those three scoring drives used over 37% of the game clock and kept Cincy's offense off the field. Cincy only had 57 plays from scrimmage and 9 drives all game. Think about that - 57 plays. That enabled BYU to keep Cincy well below their season averages.

FWIW, before the BYU game, Cincy's offense was averaging over 260 passing yards per game and almost 2 TDs. The Bearcat rushing offense was averaging over 125 yards and 1 rushing TD. BYU held the Cincy offense to under 200 yards passing and under 100 yards rushing...and no touchdowns. Three 3-and-outs and two turnovers on downs out of 9 drives.