ESPN buys stake in Bamtech

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

ESPN buys stake in Bamtech

Post by scott715 »

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... e-bamtech/

A Direct-To-Consumer Video Streaming Company that can set up a streaming service for Big12 network.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Re: ESPN buys stake in Bamtech

Post by stuckinbig10country »

So, people have been saying BYU could help build this online network as a reason for inclusion. Is it still a positive given this move by ESPN?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think we could but would that help Big12? I would guess so.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I love this. 95% of the reason I have satellite is to get live sports.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

For those looking to cut the cord and still get their sports, I've been with Sling TV for 18 months now and have been making it work quite well. It is Internet based so you need a good fast reliable ISP and router and you have to watch almost everything live. They now have 2 different options:

Orange - $20 gets you ESPN/ESPN2, TNT (NBA), TBS (March Madness). For an extra $5 you get a sports packages that gets you all of the ESPN channels plus some channels to watch soccer in Spanish and the SEC Network and Longhorn Network. With that you get Watch ESPN and ESPN 3 so you can watch replays.

Blue (this is new) - $25 gets you Fox Sports (select markets), FS1, FS2, NBC SN, TNT, TBS, Tru TV (March Madness).

Between the two, one should be able to watch all of BYU football. Now you can get both for $40, but I also think there should be no problem switching between the two. For example, I've been on the legacy Orange plan with the Sport package, but just this week switched to Blue, mostly to watch the Olympics on NBC SN and because our first game will be on FS1. Within minutes of making the subscription change online I was able to view my new content and start watching the Olympics (USA men's bball!). I believe I should have no problem switching back to the Orange plan for the UCLA game.

No cord. No contract. Consider it! I tell all of my coworkers and friends about Sling TV. I love it! I've watched all of March Madness this way and all of BYU football and basketball should just about be covered! (except maybe for some PAC-12 network games)

https://www.sling.com/

They have a free 7 day trial. I'm not a sales person for them, I just love Sling TV. I was paying $90 before for Direct TV and now pay $25!! It was a big deal for me at first to not be able to DVR sports events and watch them after the kids go to bed, but I've gotten to use to it and love saving the money and having no contract!!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I would also like to add that Playstation Vue has been getting rave reviews lately as well and I've been told by many people that it's even better than Sling, but I haven't tried either. I'm too reliant on DVR, which I don't feel that any streaming service does well enough at this time to make the switch.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

How does one watch local NBA games with Sling or Vue?

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

stuckinbig10country wrote:How does one watch local NBA games with Sling or Vue?
You're pretty much stuck with the national TV schedule. Your best bets would be local channels via digital antenna which is free or NBA League Pass which is expensive and may require a cable subscription.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

byufan4ever wrote:
You're pretty much stuck with the national TV schedule. Your best bets would be local channels via digital antenna which is free or NBA League Pass which is expensive and may require a cable subscription.
This is the advantage of living in an area where the local NBA team betrayed its fanbase and its values when the owner died. We don't care about catching local games on TV anymore :D

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Schmoe wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:
This is the advantage of living in an area where the local NBA team betrayed its fanbase and its values when the owner died. We don't care about catching local games on TV anymore :D
If you're talking about the Jazz's deal with Root, you're wildly misinformed about what happened. Also, it happened before Larry died. Larry congratulated Randy Rigby personally for completing the deal. Almost all, if not all, of the NBA teams are shown exclusively on cable, partially dictated by the NBA itself (it has to do with league pass and televising every game).

League Pass blacks out local games, even though you can get it as a streaming service. If the NBA changes that rule and allows people to by a specific team's games, I'd cut the cord no problem.