Ryker Matthew taking blame for losing game.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Ryker Matthew taking blame for losing game.

Post by urroner »

Okay, I just posted something about punishing him drastically for the penalty, but it was all done TIC.

Ryker feels like crap, but it was a mistake. It wasn't done intentionally. When I'd really screw up something, my coach would pull me aside and say "Lynn, you have the weekend to mope around and feel sorry for yourself, but come Monday, if you ain't over it, I'll make sure you are."

If I beat myself up for the dumbasseries I achieved in this life, my avatar would be way better looking than me. As it is, it's just better looking.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Ryker Matthew taking blame for losing game.

Post by Fido »

That series definitely was a turning point in the momentum of the game. But its in the rear view mirror. Play great at Michigan and all is forgiven.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Fido wrote:That series definitely was a turning point in the momentum of the game. But its in the rear view mirror. Play great at Michigan and all is forgiven.
that series stunk. But his "hold" was the same thing UCLA did all night in protection of Rosen. He just happened to get called for it. part of the game, he needs to move on and forget it.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

I find it really difficult to tell when the line is playing well or poorly, but it would be interesting to see how well he graded out on that game. Seems like he was solid most of the game, but that call was a real killer and brought back a huge run on a drive that could have ended in a TD. I really thought the line did well enough to give Tanner the time he's supposed to have. Tanner kept the ball too long, I thought, on his sacks.

But like I said, it's hard for me to tell when the line is playing well.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I could see that being a legit hold call, but what was frustrating is that Bronson was getting "held" like that on several key plays but got no whistle for it. Call it close both ways.

That being said. There were 3 - 5 key plays that if they had gone our way would have been a win. In no way is that loss all on Ryker's shoulders. It was a a team loss, as every aspect of the team had some mistakes that if executed correctly would have lead to us winning that game.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

That was a game changing moment.

However, given our offense's inability to score TD's last night, in all likelihood that penalty only cost us 3 points. Three is all we needed to win, but the idea the penalty kept us from tromping all over UCLA is a misnomer.

Letting UCLA get down the field and score a TD, IMO was much more of a momentum swinger than the penalty.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by Gunk on Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

I certainly don't blame Ryker solely for the loss, but I respect him coming out and taking responsibility and not making excuses.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I like the personal (and public) accountability. I also hope that tomorrow in team meetings, teammates tell Ryker that the loss wasn't on him. They also failed to help secure the win.

It was a team loss. The last chance the Defense had to prevent the game winning points from being scored, they failed to do so. The last chance the Offense had to score the game winning points, they failed to do so.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Credit Anae for pulling him before he created more problems. He put Lui in on the next series and it showed. There was the hold, then the false start to add insult to injury, and then when he did do better on the next play, it was his man who sacked TMan.
Unfortunately Ryker missed a huge block later on the screen pass to the left and the dude he should have blocked made the tackle with a fair amount of real estate ahead of him.
It's never just one guy. Tanner forced the last pass right into double coverage. And yes, disparity from refs.
But credit him for owning it. Clearly coaches expect more from any player let alone a Sr.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

respect for Matthews for coming out publicly about poor play. Having said that, he was getting abused by UCLA's defense all night. When Lapuaho(sp?) came in, the offense changed for the better and started moving the ball.