Is it me or did BSU play out character by playing dirty??

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
TheDean
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Is it me or did BSU play out character by playing dirty??

Post by TheDean »

All of the talk of the BYU players shot to the BSU players goin. Did anyone think that Bosie St. played uncharacteristically dirty??

There were a number of time I saw the Boise St. defenders (most notably BSU's #2 and #5) grab an arm of BYU WRs and pull down on them an then turn and lobby the refs for a pass interference call. Which I saw work twice before BSU's #2 taunted the refs by making the money gesture and getting flagged.

I don't ever recall a Boise St. team ever being that obnoxious and dirty in their play as they were in the last game. For a while there I thought BYU was playing the Seattle Seahawks with all the jawing going on and their getting into the player faces.

My favorite is when #2 tried to get into Mitch Mathews face after a play in the endzone only to have Mathews ignore him while walking on by him with a small shoulder bump. :lol:

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Is it me or did BSU play out character by playing dirty?

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Nah, didn't think anything they did was dirty. Just annoying, like a fly that won't go away. #2 was a weenie. I wish an O-lineman would have taken him by the facemask and thrown him around a bit. But he got flagged, finally, and that seemed to shut him down.

BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BYULV »

Wasn't it BSU who rolled up behind one of our DLine guys a few years back, blowing out his knee? Was it Fangupo?

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BYULV wrote:Wasn't it BSU who rolled up behind one of our DLine guys a few years back, blowing out his knee? Was it Fangupo?
That was Nevada. It wasn't Fangupo who got his knee blown up, can't remember the name of the player.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

frdbtr wrote:
BYULV wrote:Wasn't it BSU who rolled up behind one of our DLine guys a few years back, blowing out his knee? Was it Fangupo?
That was Nevada. It wasn't Fangupo who got his knee blown up, can't remember the name of the player.
That's right. To me UNR and Boise are basically the same; cold weather cowboy schools north of here. :evil:

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

It was John Bender on Romney Fuga. Tore his ACL and LCL, out for the season. It was an unapologetic cheap shot. Another reason I have little respect for UNR Football. (I would embed the video, but can't do it from my iPad)

MesaCougFan
Freshman

Post by MesaCougFan »

Just read this article. Apparently we are gaining the reputation of being the "Dirtiest" team in college football. Not the kind of PR we are seeking.

http://gojoebruin.com/2015/09/15/byu-th ... -football/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

MesaCougFan wrote:Just read this article. Apparently we are gaining the reputation of being the "Dirtiest" team in college football. Not the kind of PR we are seeking.

http://gojoebruin.com/2015/09/15/byu-th ... -football/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wouldn't worry to much about a single blogger, for a team who has a proven history of being far dirtier than BYU (look up personal foul and 15 yard penalties and UCLA has significantly more), and for a team we're scheduled to play next and is looking for any kind of excuse or leverage.

When ESPN starts talking about BYU as a dirty team, I'll take it seriously.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Thing about that groin shot is that the BSU player was totally asking for it. Our dude went and quietly laid down on the ball. Clearly had it and was clearly in possession and is trying to get up. Then the BSU chump comes up well afterward and, after the play was dead, tries to wrestle him for it. Doesn't give up, and gets really obnoxious about it. Don't know that he deserved a knock to the 'nads, but it's not like there wasn't already some extra-curricular activity happening.
Still, the blogger makes a good point about stringing together unsavory instances over the last 3 games. That reputation endangers our players as opposing teams start out thinking they're in a back ally brawl without sportsmanship or respect.
Last edited by CrimsonCoug on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

Doesn't seem to be affecting recruiting at least. We've landed big recruits this week.