Low Blow

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Ungoy
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Low Blow

Post by Ungoy »

CBS Sports is already running with it. Ute fans probably on board as well.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... w-the-belt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lawngnome
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by lawngnome »

I have read these forums for a long time, and most of the discussion has been entertaining or educational. But this topic prompted me to create an account.

I am not a die hard BYU fan, I have many issues with the program, but I am from Utah, and I do watch all the games.

As a member of the church, the state of BYU football is extremely concerning right now. The wins are amazing, no doubt, and no one can take that away from the team. They deserve all the praise in the world for how they have battled through adversity this season. While both games were mostly ugly, they have proved that BYU is the most dominant team in the NCAA in the last 2 minutes of games.

On to the topic, the cheapshots. I consider myself fairly objective, and so far this season I've counted at least 2 major cheapshots, and multiple minor unsportsmanlike plays. Are the players perfect? No. No one expects them to be. Are people using it as an excuse to bash the church? Yes. But putting all that aside, there is a culture of dirty at BYU, and any youtube search will return video after video of BYU cheapshots, From Van Noy to the Brawl, there are at least 10 or 15 videos of clear cheapshots. This needs to be addressed. No one wants to see kids miss games for a moment of lost temper. But the nut punch should have gotten him ejected, he got lucky. Throwing a punch in a game is worth of ejection.

BYU football is a missionary tool first, not my idea thats what its slated as. If it ceases to be that, it will be re-evaluated, no one wants to see that. Bronco has to put in some hard discipline because clearly what hes doing is having no effect. As great as Nacua was in the last game, he should probably still be suspended for his cowardly actions in the Brawl. Sucker punches from behind are never acceptable, and to all who say he was hit first, he wasnt. Im working on finding the feed that put it in chronological order, he punched first then got layed out, and thats when he cut his eye.

The cougars are having a great season, and hopefully that continues, but the cheapshots are a black mark on every victory, and they need to be fixed.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Gnome, do you really know best what sort of punishment to hand out to any player and do you know what punishment or what conditions were imposed in, for example, Nacua's case? If not, then I fail to see the merit or the relevance of what you say. Look, no one at BYU condones cheap shots and I at least am comfortable that when they happen they will be handled as they all have been over the years. If you think BYU is the only place that has cheap shots happening, then you do not know much about college football. I try to remember a couple of things. Going to BYU and playing at BYU does not mean you are all of the sudden devoid of errors, mistakes, problems and areas needing improvement. BYU may have higher expectations than some places, but that does not mean we are any better and most of the fan base gets that and we support the coaches and the administration in helping students improve in character, ability and effort. Typically, when students do stupid things, it is outside the glare of the television camera and an audience of millions. In my view a bad act or play does not make it a defining moment for the team or the school. Rather it makes it one more teaching moment for the coach.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Honestly, as objectively as I can be, I feel that Utah instructing their defense to spear at Chuckie Keeton's knees was far more dirty than a BYU player retaliating for a late hit with a nut punch. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be penalized or even have some out of game discipline, but I feel attempting to purposely knock out a star player is very dirty.

jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

I don't post on here much either. But I don't think he was aiming for his nuts and I think he was clearly bothered by an extremely late hit that was tacky and done solely to rough him up. He was just frustrated to an unsportsmanlike late hit and reacted in an inappropriate way but reasonable considering the circumstances. Takes an extra amount of control and restraint to not react in a situation like that and many 18-23 years old don't have that.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

BoiseBYU wrote:Gnome, do you really know best what sort of punishment to hand out to any player and do you know what punishment or what conditions were imposed in, for example, Nacua's case? If not, then I fail to see the merit or the relevance of what you say. Look, no one at BYU condones cheap shots and I at least am comfortable that when they happen they will be handled as they all have been over the years. If you think BYU is the only place that has cheap shots happening, then you do not know much about college football. I try to remember a couple of things. Going to BYU and playing at BYU does not mean you are all of the sudden devoid of errors, mistakes, problems and areas needing improvement. BYU may have higher expectations than some places, but that does not mean we are any better and most of the fan base gets that and we support the coaches and the administration in helping students improve in character, ability and effort. Typically, when students do stupid things, it is outside the glare of the television camera and an audience of millions. In my view a bad act or play does not make it a defining moment for the team or the school. Rather it makes it one more teaching moment for the coach.
Boise, you put this very well.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

lawngnome wrote:I have read these forums for a long time, and most of the discussion has been entertaining or educational. But this topic prompted me to create an account.

I am not a die hard BYU fan, I have many issues with the program, but I am from Utah, and I do watch all the games.

As a member of the church, the state of BYU football is extremely concerning right now. The wins are amazing, no doubt, and no one can take that away from the team. They deserve all the praise in the world for how they have battled through adversity this season. While both games were mostly ugly, they have proved that BYU is the most dominant team in the NCAA in the last 2 minutes of games.

On to the topic, the cheapshots. I consider myself fairly objective, and so far this season I've counted at least 2 major cheapshots, and multiple minor unsportsmanlike plays. Are the players perfect? No. No one expects them to be. Are people using it as an excuse to bash the church? Yes. But putting all that aside, there is a culture of dirty at BYU, and any youtube search will return video after video of BYU cheapshots, From Van Noy to the Brawl, there are at least 10 or 15 videos of clear cheapshots. This needs to be addressed. No one wants to see kids miss games for a moment of lost temper. But the nut punch should have gotten him ejected, he got lucky. Throwing a punch in a game is worth of ejection.

BYU football is a missionary tool first, not my idea thats what its slated as. If it ceases to be that, it will be re-evaluated, no one wants to see that. Bronco has to put in some hard discipline because clearly what hes doing is having no effect. As great as Nacua was in the last game, he should probably still be suspended for his cowardly actions in the Brawl. Sucker punches from behind are never acceptable, and to all who say he was hit first, he wasnt. Im working on finding the feed that put it in chronological order, he punched first then got layed out, and thats when he cut his eye.

The cougars are having a great season, and hopefully that continues, but the cheapshots are a black mark on every victory, and they need to be fixed.
What was the other "major cheap shot?"

Yon may prefer to live a life of passivity, peacefulness, or whatever you want to call your piety, but seriously? Should we line up the character issues of team X vs BYU players? Just because you are a peaceful troll, does that not make you a troll all the same? Or maybe we should just take your stone throwing as a sign that you are without sin. You are welcome to watch your examplar Ute team and hear no evil speak no evil see no evil but don't think for a moment that these don't happen is more sever amounts.
No one is condoning the punch by Lui. As Bronco said he lost composure. And how do you know everything that transpired with Nacua at the bowl game? No one does bc there is not clear film on the precedent events. How did he get a bloodied eye before giving the sucker punch? Bottom line? Memphis gang jumped Koroma and Nacua being the warrior that he was lost control, probably on the guy who used a helmet as a lethal weapon. Add no, I'm not condoning what he did. I think you know very little about Memphis, Shelby county and that part of the world.
And your language that this team is out of control totally smacks of Ute trolling. Maybe you shouldn't follow football anymore. Sounds like you have a strange fettish for violence while also trying to decry it. Sounds kind of like a catholic Priest.
Sorry to light you up on your first post, gnome, you might be a really nice guy. But you might be the most naive person posting today or a troll. What say you?
Last edited by Cougs_Rule on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

lawngnome wrote:... there is a culture of dirty at BYU...
Whatever dude.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

lawngnome wrote:... there is a culture of dirty at BYU...
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say that this line refutes your claim of being "impartial" or whatever. As much fun as it is to have an LDS Utah fan come on the board and lecture us, I'm gonna pass.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

There is dirty play at every institution and in every pile-on.

The difference here is BYU is a target. Because of what BYU is supposed to stand for people notice and harp on it more. It's why YouTube videos of cheapshots by BYU teams are made and not of other schools. In short, it's a witch hunt. The evidence is gathered and given it's volume a case is made that it is a phenomenon at BYU and no other school. If every other university was under as big a microscope as BYU, I highly doubt you would find any significant difference in the amount of cheapshots made by BYU vs. other schools. No one is making compilations of dirty Ute players because there is no incentive to do so. No one would care if Ute players were deemed "dirty."

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel