Non-BCS Resurgence

BYU Cougars on the court.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Non-BCS Resurgence

Post by Mars »

Last year, only 4 non-BCS teams got At-Large bids to the NCAA Tourny, the lowest total ever. This year, that should change.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7000 ... gence.html

How many of these 17 Top 45 RPI Teams do you see Dancing come March?

10- New Mexico (MWC)
12- Temple (A-10)
18- Gonzaga (WCC)
19- BYU (MWC)
22- Butler (Horizon)
23- Northern Iowa (MVC)
25- Xavier (A-10)
26- Rhode Island (A-10)
29- Richmond (A-10)
31- UAB (C-USA)
33- Siena (MAAC)
34- Dayton (A-10)
36- Utah State (WAC)
39- SDSU (MWC)
41- Old Dominion (Col)
44- UNLV (MWC)
45- St. Mary's (WCC)
http://www.realtimer...om/rpi_Men.html

This list contains 8 teams who are 2nd or lower for RPI in their conference...

Keep in mind, #9 ranked Ohio State (AP Poll) has an RPI of 42...
Last edited by Mars on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Non-BCS Resurgence

Post by Short_Change »

I'd say at least 13 of them. I think this year's tournament will be pretty crazy with a lot of upsets and mid-majors wreaking havoc. There should be a lot more at-large mid-majors this year, which I'm happy about. I have won my work's bracket challenge the last two years but I'm not as confident this year. I'm calling Syracuse to win it all as of right now though.

FurriousCougar
Freshman

Post by FurriousCougar »

Well, I think a few of those teams may get in, but only because of winning their conference championship. For instance, Utah State may get in as an at large, but it'll be close. They may have to depend on winning their conference.

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

I could see 11 or more getting in plus UTEP even though they sit at 58. I love the years when there isn't a clearly dominant team that everyone knows will win it all. IMO the best teams are Kansas, Kentucky, and Syracuse, but after that it's pretty open to debate. I look forward to a lot of upsets come March.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

mizzoucoug wrote:I could see 11 or more getting in plus UTEP even though they sit at 58. I love the years when there isn't a clearly dominant team that everyone knows will win it all. IMO the best teams are Kansas, Kentucky, and Syracuse, but after that it's pretty open to debate. I look forward to a lot of upsets come March.
March should be very fun.

At least half of those teams will get in. The teams with an RPI higher than 30 should bank on winning their conference tournament. As Mars pointed out, a #9 ranked Ohio State is going to push teams out of dance even with a worst record and RPI. Name recognition and conference affiliation have become the name of the game for getting an at large bids which is also evidenced by the dwindling number of "non-power conference" teams that get into the tournament every year.