Fan Expectations.

BYU Cougars on the court.

Do you expect BYU to beat the ranked 20 spots below them (either RPI or polls)?

yes
42%
no
8%
depends on who the team is
50%

Total votes: 12

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Fan Expectations.

Post by BroncoBot »

I think I was just labeled a realist. Which is fine I guess. I guess I'm the type of guy who doesn't care how other teams are doing out there. I don't need to be coddled by stats about how other top 20 teams are losing. Sucks for them. All I care about is how BYU is doing and find it annoying when a team of this caliber doesn't show up for a road game that could determine the MWC season champ (BTW, I'm not mad at all about losing vs UNLV, just the way BYU lost).

Do you expect BYU to beat teams that are 20+ spots behind them in any sort of ranking/poll.

---I don't see how having this sort of expectation makes me a realist. If anything it makes me a dreamer doesn't it?

snoscythe
Retired

Re: Fan Expectations.

Post by snoscythe »

Yeah, you expect them to, but you can't get too upset when they lose on the road to a good team. It's a long season--in 30-plus games, you're bound to lay some eggs.

Just ask Cornell....or any other team who has lost to inferior competition this season. It just happens. You can't read much into it until it becomes habit (I'm looking at you, PAC10)

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote:Yeah, you expect them to, but you don't get all butt-hurt when they lose on the road to a good team. It's a long season--in 30-plus games, you're bound to lay some eggs. Just ask Cornell.
Once again. Not mad that they lost. That of course is expected. The way they came out and lost the game with their intensity (or lack thereof) the first 3 minutes did bother me. If BYU had their head in that game for a full 40 minutes I wouldn't be "all butt-hurt".

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

declocoug wrote: I think I was just labeled a realist. Which is fine I guess. I guess I'm the type of guy who doesn't care how other teams are doing out there. I don't need to be coddled by stats about how other top 20 teams are losing.
I apologize for coddling you with reality. How dare the truth rain on your pity parade! :roll:

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Short_Change
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Short_Change »

declocoug wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Yeah, you expect them to, but you don't get all butt-hurt when they lose on the road to a good team. It's a long season--in 30-plus games, you're bound to lay some eggs. Just ask Cornell.
Once again. Not mad that they lost. That of course is expected. The way they came out and lost the game with their intensity (or lack thereof) the first 3 minutes did bother me. If BYU had their head in that game for a full 40 minutes I wouldn't be "all butt-hurt".
I've played on many athletic teams in my day and in every season you have one of those games where it seems like something is off for whatever reason. I think we had our off game vs UNLV and they had their best game. If you're a coach you can't say, well we just had a bad game. Of course you have to give your team a wake-up call, but as a fan and someone who's played a lot of games I know that crap happens. It's much better for the players and fans to forget about it and move on.

I coached a HS baseball team and we had a double-header and we got 10-runned in the first game and came back the next game and won. We played terrible the first game and we had to forget about it and not let it affect us. I knew that wasn't really us the first game (we looked slow, tentative, lazy even). When you play a lot of games in any sport you'll see even the best have games where it looks like they're lethargic or "don't care". I just don't read into it much unless it comes up again and again.

FurriousCougar
Freshman

Post by FurriousCougar »

declocoug wrote:I think I was just labeled a realist. Which is fine I guess. I guess I'm the type of guy who doesn't care how other teams are doing out there. I don't need to be coddled by stats about how other top 20 teams are losing. Sucks for them. All I care about is how BYU is doing and find it annoying when a team of this caliber doesn't show up for a road game that could determine the MWC season champ (BTW, I'm not mad at all about losing vs UNLV, just the way BYU lost).

Do you expect BYU to beat teams that are 20+ spots behind them in any sort of ranking/poll.

---I don't see how having this sort of expectation makes me a realist. If anything it makes me a dreamer doesn't it?
I agree with you that I expect BYU to beat teams like that (20 spots behind), but you have to look at it on the whole, you can't expect them to win every single one.

For example, let's say BYU is way better than the competition, and they have a 95% chance of winning each of their 30 so games this year. They should win all their games right? Well, no, not really, because when you take .95^30, you only get a 21% chance of them winning them all. It's just all in the stats.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

The thing that's ridiculous about this thread is that there are only three teams in the whole country that have a better resume as far as losses are concerned. We lost to three top-thirty teams on the road who all pretty much consider us their biggest game.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

Schmoe wrote:The thing that's ridiculous about this thread is that there are only three teams in the whole country that have a better resume as far as losses are concerned. We lost to three top-thirty teams on the road who all pretty much consider us their biggest game.
The thing that's rediculous is that we are starting another re-hash of this same old 10,000 posts argument AGAIN, 2 weeks later!!! :bug: :bug: :bug: :roll: Give it up already!! :sulk:

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

bigbluepuma wrote:
Schmoe wrote:The thing that's ridiculous about this thread is that there are only three teams in the whole country that have a better resume as far as losses are concerned. We lost to three top-thirty teams on the road who all pretty much consider us their biggest game.
The thing that's rediculous is that we are starting another re-hash of this same old 10,000 posts argument AGAIN, 2 weeks later!!! :bug: :bug: :bug: :roll: Give it up already!! :sulk:
10,000!? I can't compete with that, I'm only at 999...

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
bigbluepuma
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by bigbluepuma »

OMYGOSH! After I posted here, I discovered ANOTHER new thread on this same worn out subject. Can't we appreciate UNM and prepare for WYO? Btw, thanks Schmoe, for your humor. :lol: It almost makes this rediculousness bearable. :roll: