Why Everyone Needs to Stop Overreacting

BYU Cougars on the court.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Why Everyone Needs to Stop Overreacting

Post by BYULV »

It was most definitely not BYU's night shooting. It wasn't so much UNLV's defense, which I thought was looser and less aggressive than typical, but BYU just missed easy, open shots that they usually make. Even during warmups you could tell something was off, they just couldn't hit shots. Those first 10 minutes or so of the game I'm not sure how many of the BYU shots rimmed out or were simply uncharacteristically way off. I would just like to see a BYU v UNLV matchup in the T&M where both teams play their usual game rather than their best game and our worst game . . . that happens way too often in LV.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

bigbluepuma wrote:
Gunk wrote:I see your points, but something you fail to mention, Furrious, is every one of those teams has won at least one NCAA tourney game in the last four years.
So????
I think many people, myself included, looked at Sat. game against UNLV as a barometer to gauge how different/better this year's team is compared to the many one-and-done teams we've been so accustomed to. Rose has never won against UNLV in Vegas, and Rose has never won an NCAA tourney game as a coach. Some don't think they are related, others, including myself, do think there is some correlation.

Furious listed several top teams that lost games they probably should have won and used those teams' performances, or lack thereof, to make the point that top teams still lose games. I see the point, but those top teams still go on to win NCAA tourney games. Sure one of those teams listed by Furious may drop a head-scratcher or two, but come tourney time there's no doubt as to those teams' ability to win NCAA tourney games. Unfortunately, the same can't be said of BYU. Wish it weren't so, but given BYU's pedigree a loss at UNLV could be indicative of a short post season.

Sure there could be no correlation, but until now it hasn't been disproved. Hopefully this is the year.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

Gunk wrote:
bigbluepuma wrote:
Gunk wrote:I see your points, but something you fail to mention, Furrious, is every one of those teams has won at least one NCAA tourney game in the last four years.
So????
I think many people, myself included, looked at Sat. game against UNLV as a barometer to gauge how different/better this year's team is compared to the many one-and-done teams we've been so accustomed to. Rose has never won against UNLV in Vegas, and Rose has never won an NCAA tourney game as a coach. Some don't think they are related, others, including myself, do think there is some correlation.

Furious listed several top teams that lost games they probably should have won and used those teams' performances, or lack thereof, to make the point that top teams still lose games. I see the point, but those top teams still go on to win NCAA tourney games. Sure one of those teams listed by Furious may drop a head-scratcher or two, but come tourney time there's no doubt as to those teams' ability to win NCAA tourney games. Unfortunately, the same can't be said of BYU. Wish it weren't so, but given BYU's pedigree a loss at UNLV could be indicative of a short post season.

Sure there could be no correlation, but until now it hasn't been disproved. Hopefully this is the year.
You certainly have a valid point there. I think BYU has lacked mental toughness that they need to win in Vegas and in the tourney. There is another correlation directly related to losing in Vegas. Every year, going into the MWC tourney, They are projected to get a pretty good seed. Then they go to Vegas and lose to UNLV, get dumped to the 8-9 game and get a pretty tough opponent (who they should beat anyway, most years, but don't). The last time they had a better seed, they won the first game. As I have stated several times this season, I have seen that toughness with this team. I think they had it in NM, even though they lost, but it seemed to disappear in LV. I think there is a mental block factor working here. If they go to Vegas with enough fire in their eyes to win the tourney, I think they 1)get a good enough seed to have a much more beatable opponent, and 2)play a lot more mentally tough in the tourney. When they are playing tough, the bigs do a lot better job, which makes it much easier for the shooters as well. I still think we are going to do much better this year.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Gunk wrote: I think many people, myself included, looked at Sat. game against UNLV as a barometer to gauge how different/better this year's team is compared to the many one-and-done teams we've been so accustomed to. Rose has never won against UNLV in Vegas, and Rose has never won an NCAA tourney game as a coach. Some don't think they are related, others, including myself, do think there is some correlation.
The semi-good news then is that Rose has never won a MWC tourny, so he still has one more chance before March Madness begins to start a new era for his team. If he can do that this season, the spell is broken and the curse will come to an end.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Mars wrote:
Gunk wrote: I think many people, myself included, looked at Sat. game against UNLV as a barometer to gauge how different/better this year's team is compared to the many one-and-done teams we've been so accustomed to. Rose has never won against UNLV in Vegas, and Rose has never won an NCAA tourney game as a coach. Some don't think they are related, others, including myself, do think there is some correlation.
The semi-good news then is that Rose has never won a MWC tourny, so he still has one more chance before March Madness begins to start a new era for his team. If he can do that this season, the spell is broken and the curse will come to an end.
And then we can all come out of our cottages and cheer and dance merrily.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

Gunk wrote:
Mars wrote:
And then we can all come out of our cottages and cheer and dance merrily.
Careful with statements like that. Iceman might post a picture. :bug: :bug: :gross: :sick: :utard: :sick: