A long journey ended for me this week (WOT fans can relate)

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: A long journey ended for me this week (WOT fans can rela

Post by Schmoe »

Y 4 Ever wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Haven't read WOT yet, but I can't say enough about The Monstrumologist series. Check it out, you'll thank me.
Who wrote the series?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rick Yancey

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Y 4 Ever »

imuakahuku wrote:My main issue with the series besides how they said it would be four then five then six then seven books. I finally gave up expecting it to end! But as for story lines, the way they constantly had women mad at the men. It drove me crazy!

Another series (although only three books) I would put up to this one is the CrystL Shard Series. Maybe even the first Dragon Lance series.

Here's a thought who would you cast in each of the roles (two thoughts from today's pool of actors and from any age).

I can't fathom putting a dragon lance or forgotten realms book or trilogy in the same category or level as WOT. That's like putting a Benz in an economy class category! And I loved the fact that the series went 10+ books. I didn't really want it to end.

As far as actors goes, I'd have to say they be better off getting relatively unknown actors. Mainstream actors would be too distracting I think.

Y 4 Ever
All-American

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Schmoe wrote:
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Haven't read WOT yet, but I can't say enough about The Monstrumologist series. Check it out, you'll thank me.
Who wrote the series?

Rick Yancey
What genre?

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Y 4 Ever wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Who wrote the series?

Rick Yancey
What genre?

I'd call it Gothic-Horror, so I have no idea why I'm bringing it up on a WOT thread other than the fact that it's been my favorite read in the past three years, and it's technically YA lit, but I read a LOT of stuff (between 50-60 books a year) and I haven't found anything I liked as much.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Y 4 Ever
All-American

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Schmoe wrote:
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
Y 4 Ever wrote:
Who wrote the series?

Rick Yancey
What genre?

I'd call it Gothic-Horror, so I have no idea why I'm bringing it up on a WOT thread other than the fact that it's been my favorite read in the past three years, and it's technically YA lit, but I read a LOT of stuff (between 50-60 books a year) and I haven't found anything I liked as much.
Thanks for the recommendation. Always looking for something new and different

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Book 9 killed me. I read 1-8 straight over the past 8 months... and then I just kinda pooped out. I mean, hey, it's football season now!

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

I also just finished MOL a few short months ago and had the same type of experience. I didn't re-read the whole series like I used to do everytime a new book came out.

I liked the whole dynamic that the "good guys" were filled not just with darkfriends, but also with mal-intentioned good guys who gummed everything up. I love the Aes Sedai because they were well-intentioned, largely misguided, proud, haughty, and very powerful.

Didn't identify with mat, but it was clear to me this was who Robert jordan wanted to be most like. Was mad at Perrin for trying to reject such an awesome gift that the wolves were. I thought Thom was pretty annoying and I got really tired about hearing how often someone's "cheeks colored".

I would love for the "One power" to eventually gain Jedi Force status. Seriously, is there anything quite so cool as channeling? it's like Jedi Powers explained in a way that goes beyond stretching out your hand, exertion and magic happening.

I loved the Black Tower. I loved that a guy who could barely channel wins. I really didn't like Loial. Ogiers were okay. White cloaks were my least favorite story-line. They seemed like the embodiment of what Utah fans think of BYU.

I love naming sword fighting forms into ballet dance moves. I always thought the Aes-sedai bond with warders would be developed more. The green man made no sense to me ever. The wolf-killer villain was pretty sick. Favorite moment was probably Rand cleansing Saidin.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

I finally finished after a 13-year break. Book 8 killed my interest in the series, and I have to agree with the suggestion that Brandon Sanderson saved Jordan big time. It wasn't a perfect ending, but it was better than the ending for Lost by a long shot and it had many times over more loose ends than lost did.

Y 4 Ever
All-American

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Mars wrote:
Book 9 killed me. I read 1-8 straight over the past 8 months... and then I just kinda pooped out. I mean, hey, it's football season now!
If you thought Book 9 was bad, just wait til you get to Book 10. But seriously, power through those slow books - the pace of the series starts to pick back up in book 11, and really kicks into gear at book 12. And the ending is quite satisfactory. You'll be glad that you did.

Y 4 Ever
All-American

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Sammich wrote:I finally finished after a 13-year break. Book 8 killed my interest in the series, and I have to agree with the suggestion that Brandon Sanderson saved Jordan big time. It wasn't a perfect ending, but it was better than the ending for Lost by a long shot and it had many times over more loose ends than lost did.
Just out of curiosity, what were some of the loose ends that you thought were still kicking around at the end? I thought they wrapped things up pretty nicely - can only think of a couple myself... not bad for a14 book, 12,000 page series.