Bronco = STUBBORN?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bronco = STUBBORN?

Post by Mars »

Coach Mendenhall is a great head coach. But in the areas where he seems to be coaching counter-intuitively, and everyone thinks he's wrong (some examples: allowing/creating emotion, gameplanning each opponent inside and out), he seems to dig himself in and do that thing even more in the future. It worries me.

He has changed aspects of his program in the past. He will do so again. It's just HOW LONG it takes him to change some things that becomes troublesome to me. And perhaps only me.

What do you think?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Italics
Heisman Winner

Re: Bronco = STUBBORN?

Post by Italics »

I think BYU fans are way too nice to coaches.
Other teams' fans call for the heads of their coaches when nothing is changing, or when things are getting worse.
I'm not calling for Bronco to be fired... it's just that it seems that any time someone makes the suggestion of tossing him/anae/etc., it is met with bitter criticism.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Kbear
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Kbear »

I am sooooo frustrated that there is still no emotion in the coach, staff, players, .... maybe even Cosmo.....why can't we get fired up? Play some "Immigrant Song" from Led.... go hog wild. Get a little mad... every one is sooooo :roll: nice. pooo. Broncho, I like, just wake up and smell the Diet Coke or something. College football is about emotion. Anyone see CGD? Hype anyone? HYPE...I'd rather see them go down with emotion and throwing their bodies at people than this business like crap lately.... poo :cry:

Old in body, but not in mind..."
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

I don't know - I'm quietly reflecting on the possibilities surrounding a rush to judgement.
Perhaps tomorrow a committee can be created to review this discussion & report back on the collateral issues being generated here.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

Italics wrote:I think BYU fans are way too nice to coaches.
Other teams' fans call for the heads of their coaches when nothing is changing, or when things are getting worse.
I'm not calling for Bronco to be fired... it's just that it seems that any time someone makes the suggestion of tossing him/anae/etc., it is met with bitter criticism.
It's probably because for some of us, the Crowton years STILL sting and comparatively Bronco's pretty good. I think anyone who sat through the entire 0-3 Utah game in the freezing cold is patient enough to wait a couple more years to see what Bronco can do with a team filled with his own recruits.

However, even taking an outsider's perspective I think it sounds really lame to get on a coach's case for losing only 2-3 games a year. Especially when the chief complaints have to do with assistant coaches and the team's emotions in big games (what the crap kind of complaint is this anyway? And does nobody remember how hyped up the team was in the Oklahoma game? That was something "No Emotion" Bronco specifically encouraged, by the way. If anything BYU was TOO hyped up emotionally last year and played uptight because of it. Bronco tried to counter that this year by loosening up the players before the game, although it didn't work).

cachevalleycougar
BLUEshirt

Post by cachevalleycougar »

In a lot of ways, you HAVE to be stubborn to be successful at something like coaching football. If you believe in your system and your processes, you have to stick to your guns.
But it also takes a big man to realize when you keep running into the same problems, so something needs to be addressed. As frustrating as the 2 losses this year are, the fact is we can still end up 11-2. Hopefully the coaching staff can learn to make the appropriate adjustments. They haven't inspired a lot of confidence thus far. The fact that BYU's offense averages less than 20 points per game against top competition (TCU, Utah, FSU, OK, AZ) over the last couple years shows that something needs to change.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

cachevalleycougar wrote: In a lot of ways, you HAVE to be stubborn to be successful at something like coaching football. If you believe in your system and your processes, you have to stick to your guns.
This is true as well. The Ron Zook-like coaches who seem to pay too much attention to the media are destined to fail. Again, like almost everything is life, it comes back to finding the right balance.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Bleh, there has been way too much talk of "11-2" on various cougar forums lately for my liking. This is the same "undefeated" and "12-1" talk we've been hearing.
Sorry, but the Cougs haven't really proven over the last 3 years that this is a legit expectation. Let's face it: We. Dont. Win. Big. Games. ............................ Yet.
I want to see us crush Utah as bad as anyone, but it's just not a realistic expectation anymore. I've become too used to getting hyped up for a game and expecting us to come out both guns blazing, and it just doesn't seem to happen often. I won't be expecting us to beat Utah (or win our bowl game) until it's the 4th quarter and we're up by a couple scores. Flame away, but I'm still sticking with my pre-season prediction of 10-3.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Stubborn and subdued. There's no spark. It was great seeing Bronco get fired up at the OU game. After that, it was back to lukewarm Bronco. Now I wouldn't care so much about a lack of expressive passion if it was countered by ingeniousness. I'll take a silent, subdued coach any day if the reason he's mute is because he's coming up with brilliant adjustments that win us games, but I don't think we're getting that, which puts us at a double negative: lack of fire and lack of effective game plans.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

I agree with the original post. Bronco does not seem to reevaluate until years end. He definitely gets better every year and is critical of himself and his coaches, but once he decides on a way to go, he does not waiver.

I think and hope he realizes after that game that some changes need to be made if he wants to become an elite team again.

the refusal to gameplan is what really kills me. him saying before the tcu game that whoever changes the leaset will win made my heart sink. I knew then that we would lose but i was holding out faith that he was just blowing smoke. he wasn't. he was serious.

don't want bronco fired. love him, but why does it take him so long to change things that are yelling in his face that they need to be changed? he better be putting together a gameplan for utah right now during they bye week. we gameplan for air force, why don't we gameplan for others.