Gary Anderson to Wisconsin

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Gary Anderson to Wisconsin

Post by jvquarterback »

THis is good for BYU in 3 areas.

1) Andersen is a worse in game coach than Bronco. He gave away more points in the BYU-USU game than BM did. So BYU will get to face a poor coach three times in the next few years. If Andersen weren't even worse than BM going for it on 4th down USU would have been 12-0 or 11-1 and getting ready to play FSU right now.

2) USU will sink back from whence it came and BYU will be able to continue the 2-1 scheduling.

3) This will be a good selling point for the games BYU plays Wisconsin so they will be more likely to get picked up by ESPN even if both teams have a bunch of losses.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

Why would anyone think he isnt going to be good at Wisconsin? He was good at USU he should be good there. Its the perfect job. The other jobs were rebuilding projects. Wisconsin has the talent and money to win right now. Does everyone forget that they were a top 10 team at the first of the year. They had a few plays go wrong for them but they have talent and will be making there third straight Rose bowl game. (I know they dont deserve it this year but there still going) Its the perfect place to go. He imo is in the right place hes a good coach and good for him.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

a1247 wrote:Why would anyone think he isnt going to be good at Wisconsin? He was good at USU he should be good there.
He had one good year at USU. His overall record was 27-24. There's too little data to tell if they would continue to have great years because of good coaching, or if this year was simply an anomaly. There's plenty of reason to doubt he'll be successful, but there's evidence to support that he will be, as well. Only time will tell.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=23447166&nid=85 ... featured-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Andersen was born in Salt Lake City and spent his football career in Utah. He played football at Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) before transferring to the University of Utah."

Is Gary Anderson LDS? I didn't remember ever hearing that he was, but I didn't know that he had attended Ricks College either. There were some non-LDS at Ricks, but few.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Schmoe wrote:He had one good year at USU. His overall record was 27-24. There's too little data to tell if they would continue to have great years because of good coaching, or if this year was simply an anomaly. There's plenty of reason to doubt he'll be successful, but there's evidence to support that he will be, as well. Only time will tell.
It was obvious that Gary Anderson raised the level of play at USU despite only having a 27-24 record. Even that paltry won/loss record was better than what any HC at USU had done in some time and it was obvious these last 3 seasons that USU was not the USU of old. I can honestly say that I don't see anything that would detract him from continuing Wisconsin's past successes.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

EM_Puma wrote:http://www.ksl.com/?sid=23447166&nid=85 ... featured-2

"Andersen was born in Salt Lake City and spent his football career in Utah. He played football at Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho) before transferring to the University of Utah."

Is Gary Anderson LDS? I didn't remember ever hearing that he was, but I didn't know that he had attended Ricks College either. There were some non-LDS at Ricks, but few.
Didn't know he went to Ricks but I'm pretty sure he's catholic.

He seems like a good guy. Too bad for the Aggies. I figured once he kid committed he was there to stay for atleast a few years.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Agreed, EM. Its the trend, the pattern. And he lost two NFLers last year and had an even better year this year. He did what Urban Meyer did at Bowling green, although not as quickly. But GA did it in an area with less talent. Not saying GA = UM, but Gary was in the right place at the right time, taking a team to the right places and he's a better risk than all the washed out, has been coaches that BCS schools seem to recycle.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Schmoe wrote:
a1247 wrote:Why would anyone think he isnt going to be good at Wisconsin? He was good at USU he should be good there.
He had one good year at USU. His overall record was 27-24. There's too little data to tell if they would continue to have great years because of good coaching, or if this year was simply an anomaly. There's plenty of reason to doubt he'll be successful, but there's evidence to support that he will be, as well. Only time will tell.
I do think Anderson is a good coach and wish him success. But, Utah State's 2012 record is inflated. Key conference wins were at LA Tech and SJSU. So USU is no pushover. But they rolled through cupcakes Idaho, NMSU, UTSA, and Texas State. Out-of-conference wins were over more cupcakes UNLV (2-11), Colorado State (4-8), and Southern Utah (FCS) and Utah (5-7), at home, in overtime. Lost on the road to us (7-5) and Wisconsin (8-5). Even with their bowl win over Toledo (9-4, the 3rd or 4th place team from the MAC) strength of schedule was #82 (per Sagarin http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt12.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

I hope his presence at Wisconsin gets BYU a couple more games against Wisconsin. Wisconsin has 2 openings on the 2014 schedule and 3 openings on the 2015 and 2016 schedules!

A home game against Wisconsin in 2014 could turn a decent schedule into a really good schedule.

a1247
Heisman Winner

Post by a1247 »

Schmoe wrote:
I get his win lose record isnt great but he had to build a program from the very bottom up. At Wisconsin hes stepping into a program that is already at or near the top of the confrence. Why wouldn't he be good there? Come on he took a program that has not been good in my entire 35 years of life and made them respectable last year and made them a top 25 team this year. Take a step back and look at what the man did and you will see a coach that shouldnt have any problems taking over a Wisconsin team that already has a lot of talent in the program.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image