Season of disapointment

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Devbo
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Season of disapointment

Post by Devbo »

Can you imagine Riley's numbers if he didn't have Hoffman? Hoffman has bailed him out so many times on poor passes.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Riley (and the decision to play him) cost us 3 seasons. Last year, this year, and next year.

I don't care how bad Heaps was last year (against the good teams we played.) He would have been better than the dumpster fire at qb we have seen this year, and it would be nice to have a senior qb with the type of raw talent he had for next year's murderous schedule.

Or T HIll.

Or Lark.

Or Munns.

Or Kuresa.

You can't tell me that one of these guys isn't better.
Hill is injured.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BlueIsBetter wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:Riley cost us 3 seasons. Last year, this year, and next year.

I don't care how bad Heaps was last year (against the good teams we played.) He would have been better than the dumpster fire at qb we have seen this year, and it would be nice to have a senior qb with the type of raw talent he had for next year's murderous schedule.
Heaps would have kept us out of a bowl game last year. Riley got us 10 wins. I don't see how that was costing us a season last year. When Heaps was pulled vs utah state, he was a broken QB.
Because the team quit on him.

He did just fine later on in the season filling in for the injured Riley. Heaps would not have kept us out of a bowl game, we would have been just fine against the junior varsity teams to end the year, as he proved. Riley got us 10 wins against garbage teams that any of our quarterbacks could have won with a running game and a defense that played all 4 quarters.

I don't want this to turn into a Heaps V Riley thread. Sorry for bringing it up.

Riley Nelson flat out sucks. He is burning diapers bad against any team that is ranked above the top 100.
Top 100. Have to admit I have not looked, but what was Georgia Tech ranked. Might be easier to take you seriously with less hyperbole and more accuracy.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

frdbtr wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:Riley cost us 3 seasons. Last year, this year, and next year.

Heaps would have kept us out of a bowl game last year. Riley got us 10 wins. I don't see how that was costing us a season last year. When Heaps was pulled vs utah state, he was a broken QB.

I don't know if those other guys are better. The coaches don't think they are. They are the ones that make the final decision. I don't think it is just Bronco having a man crush on Riley, they are seeing something in practice that they don't want to trust in games. Coaches don't put players on the field because of a man crush, they put guys on the field that they think will win games because if they lose they get fired.
If you follow Blue is Bitter's posts - on another thread today - he thinks we were 8-5 last season. Seriously.

But then KVN boldly predicted - guaranteed - that BYU will finish 8-6 with a bowl win this season. 8-6. Seriously. Think about that for a minute. He is as bad at numbers as Blue. 8+6 = 14.

Maybe Holmoe scheduled a last minute - unannounced - 1 and done with UH on Dec 7th. Think about that. The Day of Infamy.

That would be great because I may still be stuck over here

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Guys think about what you are saying for a sec. If Riley Nelson really was the worst QB on the roster, don't you think the coaches would play someone else? Doman is supposodly on the hot seat, is he going to sacrifice his job to play an inferior player? Is he going to let Bronco bully him into playing someone that is going to cost him his job? If putting someone else in would have guaranteed Bronco 10 wins this year, don't you think he would have done it? Man crushes only go so far when you are banking on a guy to help you keep a job that pays your a million dollars a year. Nate Meikle had the best point in the post game show last night. The coaches aren't infallable, thay make mistakes but they are the ones that have spent thousands of hours with all of these guys and from that viewpoint, they think that Riley gives them the best chance to win. They are seeing the same things from Riley on the field as the rest of us. Oh and by the way, the 2 fumbles in the red zone were blocking mistakes not QB mistakes. How is he supposed to see blitzes coming from his blind side.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Devbo wrote:Can you imagine Riley's numbers if he didn't have Hoffman? Hoffman has bailed him out so many times on poor passes.

Can you imagine Max hall's numbers without Collie and pitta?

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

frdbtr wrote:Guys think about what you are saying for a sec. If Riley Nelson really was the worst QB on the roster, don't you think the coaches would play someone else?
No. And I base my answer on many things, inlcuding past events, Bronco's comments after this and other games and my knowledge that BM is a dumbyewt that has already concluded that RN is the best regardless of results.

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

Thread title should be "SeasonS of disappointment" and I hope that disappointment is just limited to 2010-2012 but fear it will carry into 2013.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

SpiffCoug wrote:We have no idea if Riley has ruined next year. Next year hasn't happened yet. All we know is he wasn't good enough this year. I don't think a change in OC is an answer, nor do I think he's really a problem. The plays have been there all year, but we just haven't executed them. And these are simple plays we've been missing. Jamaal Williams making a block on a late throw. Riley hitting an easy pass instead of sailing it high.

Next year could be very good. We return a lot.
Sorry but this is below you, Spiff. You could say the same thing about most seasons the last few years. Since we are always coming up short due to 1 or 2 plays (in your words) then I say there is an institutional problem, not just a gameday one. The only game where one can say we should have lost but didn't is against USU (yay!) when Nelson earned his lifetime QB pass. Other than that I have never once truly expected us to finally make the 1 or 2 necessary plays to win a big game because we never do. This is attitudinal and rests squarely on coaching.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

byutx wrote:
frdbtr wrote:Guys think about what you are saying for a sec. If Riley Nelson really was the worst QB on the roster, don't you think the coaches would play someone else?
No. And I base my answer on many things, inlcuding past events, Bronco's comments after this and other games and my knowledge that BM is a dumbyewt that has already concluded that RN is the best regardless of results.
Yeah, that's logical.