Could Unga....

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BYUNLVFAN
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Could Unga....

Post by BYUNLVFAN »

make a switch to TE over the spring? FB is a dying breed but physical TE's who can run, catch and block are valuable. Does Unga have the skills to learn the TE position starting in spring ball and be effective by Fall? I would be interested to see that for sure. Just wondered what you all would think about that.

Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Could Unga....

Post by Wickchad »

Until they had the ball off to the TE, Unga would be ineffective. His pass catching is not his strength and he definitely couldn't out jump safeties for the ball.

bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

He isn't built for tight end. He would work well for bowling ball though.

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

Based on how BYU uses the TE and based on these players' size, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chambers or Apo end up playing TE.

BYUROCKS
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BYUROCKS »

Unga will stay FB, no reason to move to TE for Sr season.

Y&Brit
Freshman

Post by Y&Brit »

Not a chance. Remember BYU will have some talented Receivers and TEs coming up. Look for Remington Peck to pick us back up at TE. He's big and fast just like Pitta. Also with Cody Hoffman, Chambers, Marshall, and the great Jacobson, BYU isn't going to be too worried about passing the ball. Heaps will have roll-out plays all over with our fast and tall receivers. This is 80's football all over. Also with Riley we'll have some option, running attack plays that should be effective too. Nonetheless, we're armed without a need to move Unga, if that guy comes back, he can play anywhere he wants in my book though.

bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

I think, with the TEs we have had the last few years, we, as fans, have kind of forgotten what great TE recruits have come into the program the last several years. They didn't recruit TEs this year because we are already LOADED! Look for TE to be a strength again this year.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I don't think taking BYU's all time leading rusher and moving him to TE while breaking in a new QB would be a good idea for the offense. Let him run the ball (like he does best) and take pressure off our new QB.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Here's an idea....why don't we let Unga do what he does best and play RB and quit with these loopy ideas of putting him at FB and TE? Revolutionary, I know.

What's funny is that some of the posters who think putting Harvey at FB so a true freshman can play RB are posters who have mocked Whittingham for recruiting Harvey as a linebacker.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

snoscythe wrote:Here's an idea....why don't we let Unga do what he does best and play RB and quit with these loopy ideas of putting him at FB and TE? Revolutionary, I know.

What's funny is that some of the posters who think putting Harvey at FB so a true freshman can play RB are posters who have mocked Whittingham for recruiting Harvey as a linebacker.
What a novel concept "Sno" - sticking with what works!!! Imagine that - "staying the course", hang with the "tried & true", not "re-inventing the wheel!!"

Where do you get these thoughts???? LOL!!!
8) :evil: