Author chosen to complete Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Author chosen to complete Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time

Post by hawkwing »

Brandon Sanderson, a local Utah author, was chosen by Robert Jordan's wife, Harriett to finish the final book in the Wheel of Time series.

Sanderson graduated from BYU and wrote Elantris and the Mistborn series.

He's a good author, and from interviews I've seen is a huge fan of the Wheel of Time, so I'm excited to see what he does with it, sure wish that RJ could have finished his work though.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Author chosen to complete Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time

Post by Mars »

A- Did he finish it?

B- So who is your favorite author now?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote:
A- Did he finish it?

B- So who is your favorite author now?
It is in process right now. The first part of the last book (it's being released as 3 books because it is so large) is being released in a week and a half.

B - as for a favorite author now, I don't know. I like Sanderson, I also like Michael Connely, David Baldacci, Orson Scott Card, etc etc.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

I never read Robert Jordan. I did really enjoy Terry Brooks in my teenage years though. I wish he would do another series in the Magic Kingdom genre and leave the Shannara epic alone for awhile.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:I never read Robert Jordan. I did really enjoy Terry Brooks in my teenage years though. I wish he would do another series in the Magic Kingdom genre and leave the Shannara epic alone for awhile.
I just saw a new Magic Kingdom book in the book store the other day. I decided to wait till it came out in paperback, but I've always enjoyed the Magic Kingdom books.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

So the first of the three parts of the last book is being released Tuesday and for those of you who care, Brandon Sanderson will be having a release party at the BYU Bookstore at midnight, Tuesday morning. Here's the announcement from his website:
Brandon Sanderson wrote:BYU MIDNIGHT RELEASE

At 12:00 a.m. on October 27th, I will be doing the world's first signing for THE GATHERING STORM. Numbers 1–100 will be given out at this signing. (Though everyone who comes will get a numbered copy unless they run out of books.) Number nine will be reserved for Dan Wells because of a funky thing he and I do. (He has number one of my first book, number two of my second, and so forth. I have number one of his first book and so forth.) Other than that, all numbers will be given out in the ORDER YOU ARRIVE TO WAIT IN LINE IN. Let me make this clear. It doesn't matter if the bookstore says something different (though hopefully they know to say this same thing). It doesn't matter how early you preorder. Numbers will be given out based on line order.

The line begins at the doors closest to the science fiction and fantasy section of the bookstore. This means the ones in the northwest corner. (The ones where, if you walk through, there's a cash register in front of you and the SF&F section is to your left.) Book #1 will go to the first person in this line. #2 to the second. And so forth. You can only buy ONE copy of the book in the low numbers per person waiting. (In other words, if you are there in line, you can't buy #1–10 by yourself. You have to have ten people if you want to do that.) If you need multiple copies but don't have multiple people, that's fine—we'll give you #1 and then some higher numbers. This restriction goes for anyone in the first hundred spots.

I will personalize as long as I can, but will probably have to leave around 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. for my flight to Charleston. So this might be one of the few signings where I can't personalize everyone's books. However, since all of the books will be pre-signed and numbered, everyone will get a numbered edition if they come. However, since I'm local, you can always just come, pick up a book, and leave—then get it personalized at some other signing when things aren't so crazy. This will probably be a busy event, but—like the Warbreaker signing—it should be very easy to just come, get a pre-signed/numbered book, then buy it and take off without waiting in line.

Now, here's the important part. Right now, BYU is only getting in 500 copies of the book. I worry that might not be enough. WE MIGHT RUN OUT. Therefore, we are letting you preorder to be assured you get a book. If you preorder, you get 25% off the cover price and you are guaranteed a book. If you don't preorder, it's first come first served. If a lot of people preorder, they will get in more books to make sure everyone who ordered early is covered.

So, for this event, I strongly encourage you to call and buy your book ahead of time. It will save you money and will make things easier for us. Let me say one more time, however, that you do not get your number based on when you preorder. You get it based on when you arrive in line. Preordering just guarantees that you get a copy, not that you get a low number. Still—please, please preorder soon so we can be sure to have enough books for the event.

There WILL be some other fun things at this signing, like trivia contests, giveaway prizes, and maybe entertainment.

Details:
BYU Bookstore, Provo, UT
12:00 a.m. October 27th (Monday night/Tuesday morning)
Preorder by calling: (801) 422-3584
Doors will open at 10:00 p.m., but the line starts whenever people get there. Please wait outside the doors indicated above until 10:00 p.m. (Note that for previous release events, I've had people wait in line over 24 hours to get the lowest numbers. And that wasn't for a WoT book. So . . . yeah. You might want to come early if getting a low number matters to you.)

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

I hope this guy has a Ph.D. because it is going to take that to tie everything done with the mess Jordan left it in...I LOVED Wheel of TIme for about the first 7 books...then the wheels fell off the bus so to speak with the 8 kazillion different sub plots and diversions and upshots etc etc etc....

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

BoiseBYU wrote:I hope this guy has a Ph.D. because it is going to take that to tie everything done with the mess Jordan left it in...I LOVED Wheel of TIme for about the first 7 books...then the wheels fell off the bus so to speak with the 8 kazillion different sub plots and diversions and upshots etc etc etc....
I feel the same way. Except I think the wheels were already wobbling after the fourth book, and after holding things together just long enough to give the 6th a great climax the whole series started to drag under its own weight.

Like George Lucas, Robert Jordan had some really great ideas but let his exposition get in the way of the real story. It's too bad because I haven't been as excited about a fantasy series since.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I definitely do not disagree with your assessments, there are so many things going on! I'm just hoping against hope that the series does come back together for one big bang of amazing story telling, which Jordan definitely had a knack for.

CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by CougarClaw »

Hawkwing....the source of your name is revealed!

or should we call you Artur Pendreagon?

I always thought it should be Arthur, but then Jordan would be revealing that he STOLE the name from King Arthur...not that authors ever steal ideas...