Next Years Starters/Back-ups

BYU Cougars on the court.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Next Years Starters/Back-ups

Post by scott715 »

There would be a good nucleus for Jabari if he chose to join the team. Austin, Haws, Collinsworth, Carlino, Emery.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Qman wrote:
dmcougar wrote:We are very vulnerable at the 4 next year. Need some insurance. Sharp is not the insurance we need either. Charles could sub at. The 4 and did so admirably last year bc of his size and athleticism. Sharp cannot do that. Wish he could. Probably a great kid. But. Serviceable at the 3 is the best we can hope for.
Sharp struggled this year- that's normal for RM's. What makes you believe he won't be able to provide minutes at the 4 next year?

Granted he has a lot to work on, but he has the height and athletic ability. He needs to get stronger and improve his shooting.

Stephen Rogers can slide do the 4 if we play zone.
While some fans in the WCC say the guard play is critical. There sure seemed to be some fairly decent size and girth at the four spots. Josh nor Rogers has the size to consistently man the four spot. When NateAustin looks huge and cut compared to either of these two guys, you know there is a problem. Brock is 6'6". Josh one inch taller, but one can hardly tell the difference. All three are 3's. Why at 6'8", does Noah look so much larger than josh? I'm just not buying it. Yes, Davies has been able to man the post position at 6'9"' but his wing span and experience fits well at least on defense. And certainly on O. And I don't see Josh putting on any weight. I hope Rose can shore up the four with better than Josh. In fact add in Haws and it seems like we are loaded with mid-size skinny white guys who have varying skill levels and value, some more valuable than others.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

http://byu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1345857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is an evaluation of the players for next year.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

scott715 wrote:http://byu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1345857

Here is an evaluation of the players for next year.
I sure hope it's Rogers over Zylstra next season.

Battle for playing time will be at the 2.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

dmcougar wrote:
Qman wrote:
dmcougar wrote:We are very vulnerable at the 4 next year. Need some insurance. Sharp is not the insurance we need either. Charles could sub at. The 4 and did so admirably last year bc of his size and athleticism. Sharp cannot do that. Wish he could. Probably a great kid. But. Serviceable at the 3 is the best we can hope for.
Sharp struggled this year- that's normal for RM's. What makes you believe he won't be able to provide minutes at the 4 next year?

Granted he has a lot to work on, but he has the height and athletic ability. He needs to get stronger and improve his shooting.

Stephen Rogers can slide do the 4 if we play zone.
While some fans in the WCC say the guard play is critical. There sure seemed to be some fairly decent size and girth at the four spots. Josh nor Rogers has the size to consistently man the four spot. When NateAustin looks huge and cut compared to either of these two guys, you know there is a problem. Brock is 6'6". Josh one inch taller, but one can hardly tell the difference. All three are 3's. Why at 6'8", does Noah look so much larger than josh? I'm just not buying it. Yes, Davies has been able to man the post position at 6'9"' but his wing span and experience fits well at least on defense. And certainly on O. And I don't see Josh putting on any weight. I hope Rose can shore up the four with better than Josh. In fact add in Haws and it seems like we are loaded with mid-size skinny white guys who have varying skill levels and value, some more valuable than others.

As for Hartsock vs Sharp- being 45 pound lighter make you look shorter. I hope you are wrong Sharp not being able to put on weight. We are going to need him.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

I almost forgot that Collinsworth was still on the team. With Harrison on a mission, are we going to be able to pick up a JUCO big who can rebound and defend a little?

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Maybe Cusick can play the 4. jk
Sharp is not the answer. He will not put on 45 pounds until he's 35 and has 3 kids. Would Rose put Z at the 4? Then why would he put Sharp at the 4? because he has one more inch?

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

dmcougar wrote:Maybe Cusick can play the 4. jk
Sharp is not the answer. He will not put on 45 pounds until he's 35 and has 3 kids. Would Rose put Z at the 4? Then why would he put Sharp at the 4? because he has one more inch?
Well Coach Rose has started Zylstra at the 4 (unless you want to say the 6-4 Abouo was the 4) while Hartsock was hurt.

Sharp could easily play the 4 against teams who don't have a post threat at the 4. I guess I just see his athletic ability and length and hope with a little more strength he could make a big impact.