Wow, I wonder what would have happened...

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Wow, I wonder what would have happened...

Post by EM_Puma »

blue42 wrote:From what I have read there are some that are saying the MWC is a 4 bid league! Are you kidding me! I remember in seasons past most of the experts were saying the MWC was only a 2 team bid league and it was huge news when they got 3 in. So now that BYU has left how does that happen? If any of you read the same reports I have they were saying the 4th would either be CSU or Wyoming?? How can a .500 conference team that will probably barely win 20 games overall from the MWC be picked ahead of a 3 conference loss 25 win overall WCC team?

Is it because the writers and bracketologist still don't know BYU is now in the WCC or has the MWC now been elevated to Big East status?
I had never understood this concept until yesterday when ESPN's Brennan noted that the PAC12's problem this season was that they had only beaten one RPI-top 50 team before the conference games began. When that happens, then beating one-another cannibalizes your conference RPI's. We had that happen in the MWC for years. What happens with the Big East, and happened this year as well in the MWC, they have very good non-conference wins (top-50 RPI wins). Then when you start playing as a conference, losses don't bring you down as long as those non-conference teams don't begin to tank, like BYU experienced last week in winning two games on the road, but having our own RPI fall. If you look at the RPI of the teams of the MWC, you will see, the same as the Big East, that they are high and therefore you can beat each other up and not cost you as much as it costs BYU to lose to most of our conference competition. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the MWC is having one of the better years of their existence in BB. BYU could have even helped in that, but the honest truth is that they actually didn't need us to drag them up this year.
Last edited by EM_Puma on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Wow, I wonder what would have happened...

Post by scott715 »

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/535 ... a.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WCC is not a step down from MWC.

PS CSU RPI is like #20. They did well in a tough preconference schedule. It is overinflated but can't be denied. Their conference is like #5 in the country. So they don't lose much when the beat each other.