Big 12 Discussing adding 2 more teams

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Big 12 Discussing adding 2 more teams

Post by hawkwing »

The inside sources I want to know about have to do with Fox Sports and why they are so adamantly opposed to having BYU join the league.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote:The inside sources I want to know about have to do with Fox Sports and why they are so adamantly opposed to having BYU join the league.
Especially since they had no problem working with BYU to broadcast the OSU game last year.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Cougarbib2 wrote:Sorry Mizzou

But I get the sense that when we start going .500 vs those teams or worse you won't be happy.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Is that how good you think we are?

mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

jonnylingo wrote:

But I get the sense that when we start going .500 vs those teams or worse you won't be happy.

That's my feeling. I figure the Big 12 will have about 4 ranked teams a year which means BYU will probably scratch out 1 win every 2 years against such competition.

BYU will go about .500 vs. the middle of the conference and will win 2/3 of the games vs. the bottom 1/3. At the end of the day that translates to slightly below .500 or .500.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

I've been told Fox is against us because it will limit Sunday games which limits their inventory or what they can get on their channels. If we want to join that is who we need to be negotiating with.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

jonnylingo wrote:

It varies by year. 2009 - above .500 in Big 12 play. 2010 - below .500 in Big 12 play. 2011 - .500 at best with losses to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Baylor, and Kansas State very likely and other losses a possibility depending on road vs home and Nelson vs Heaps timing.

2012 - TBD. Baylor will likely fall. A&M and MO are gone. TCU and WVA added. Probably a push. Maybe we add a win there. And everybody gets lucky sometimes according to Tom Petty - but that goes both ways.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

it is obvious that BYU will have to improve recruiting. We are going to have to reschedule a lot of OOC games if we go to a conference like the Big 12 to balance a difficult schedule. like utah learned, you have to up your game by a lot to compete in a difficult conference. Oh, by the way, if BYU had played in the pac this year, we would have gone to the championship game. utah losing to washington, ASU, CAL, and CO was pathetic. BYU wins at least 4 out of those 5 games even with last years team if not 5 out of 5. The big 12 is a much tougher conference year in and year out.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

RE Fox here is the answer http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... id=8110932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The fact of the matter is that your rebroadcast rights would affect FOX far more than ESPN, should you join the B12. The vast majority of your games would fall to Tier 2 (same as everybody elses) and these rights are paid for by FOX. They want control of the inventory they are paying over a billion dollars for. They want BYU fans to HAVE to actually BUY FOX cable in order to see the games."

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

If we go Big 12 - recruiting will definitely improve - we will expand our geographical footprint and would not only have a better chance of landing top flight LDS recruits within our current geographical recruiting area: UT, Cal/Pacific NW, ID, CO, AZ, TX but also drawing LDS recruits that want to play in this conference - which means a wider footprint across the country - especially the SW and Midwest.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

byucougar1 wrote:If we go Big 12 - recruiting will definitely improve - we will expand our geographical footprint and would not only have a better chance of landing top flight LDS recruits within our current geographical recruiting area: UT, Cal/Pacific NW, ID, CO, AZ, TX but also drawing LDS recruits that want to play in this conference - which means a wider footprint across the country - especially the SW and Midwest.

I don't think that LDS recruits are going to be the ticket to BYU being able to compete in a conference like the big 12. It is the Non LDS christian kids like Tim Tebow who won't give BYU a 1st look in our current situation but would if we were in the Big 12. That is the footprint I think getting into a better conference opens up for BYU.