Future Indy scheduling just took a huge hit

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Future Indy scheduling just took a huge hit

Post by SpiffCoug »

I think what we're seeing is the beginning of the BCS schools simply squeezing the non-AQ teams out of the picture. By not scheduling them, you can essentially prevent them from getting the exposure and opportunities to "prove" themselves they need to make BCS runs.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

SpiffCoug wrote:I think what we're seeing is the beginning of the BCS schools simply squeezing the non-AQ teams out of the picture. By not scheduling them, you can essentially prevent them from getting the exposure and opportunities to "prove" themselves they need to make BCS runs.
Unlikely. Notice the Big 10 is scrapping plans to expand the conference schedule to 9 games as a result of this agreement. They still want to play MAC teams on a regular basis (at home of course).

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

But, on the other hand, in the spirit of either direct or indirect intent, this does smack of super conference-ing.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

mormonrasta wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I think what we're seeing is the beginning of the BCS schools simply squeezing the non-AQ teams out of the picture. By not scheduling them, you can essentially prevent them from getting the exposure and opportunities to "prove" themselves they need to make BCS runs.
Unlikely. Notice the Big 10 is scrapping plans to expand the conference schedule to 9 games as a result of this agreement. They still want to play MAC teams on a regular basis (at home of course).
If the PAC does the same this could help BYU.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
crh55
Freshman

Post by crh55 »

Why don't we have November games scheduled with Army and Navy?

They are Indy, respectable programs, and Bronco gets all giddy every time they are mentioned to him.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

ESPN the NEW Home of BYU Live Sports
https://twitter.com/cougarback" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Because their games have already been scheduled for the next few years.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Could it be that going indy was very good timing. We suffered the first two years but now it is getting better. Now with the rpifor the four team playoffs teams are looking to upgrade their SOS. I think we will pickup some good games on short notice. We should be in good shape going forward.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

crh55 wrote:Why don't we have November games scheduled with Army and Navy?

They are Indy, respectable programs, and Bronco gets all giddy every time they are mentioned to him.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Navy is dumping teams from its schedule to make room for the Big East, starting in 2015. I doubt we have a chance to schedule them before 2017. Army's schedule is pretty full for the next 3 or 4 years as well. Perhaps we could get a good series with Army going, but against, probably not until 2016 or 2017.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

For a minute there I thought you were going to suggest we pick up the teams that they are dropping. Most of those games were trash so not much of an option there. Except they could be better than a FCS team. I would argue we can get a better cupcake than those teams. They should only be used where we can't pickup another team. I believe our ESPN contract says we have to have at least one game live on BYUtv. I would waive that claus unless ESPN does not want to show a game.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

scott715 wrote:For a minute there I thought you were going to suggest we pick up the teams that they are dropping. Most of those games were trash so not much of an option there. Except they could be better than a FCS team. I would argue we can get a better cupcake than those teams. They should only be used where we can't pickup another team. I believe our ESPN contract says we have to have at least one game live on BYUtv. I would waive that claus unless ESPN does not want to show a game.
Why waive that clause? It allows BYU to flex their private TV network muscles.