Go Cardinals!

Discussion for professional sporting events/teams and players.

This would be a great place to discuss the Super Bowl, the NBA Playoffs or whatever else.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Go Cardinals!

Post by snoscythe »

BYUBALLIN wrote:i hope the cards win...iam super excited to see my hometown White Sox just hired my all time fav player Robin Ventura yesssssssssssssss.
I'm just excited to see the White Sox and Rangers play next year to see if Robin Ventura and Nolan Ryan shake hands.

[youtube]3zwDkrGKlCg[/youtube]

1967cougar
Junior

Post by 1967cougar »

SpiffCoug wrote:Yet again, we play an entire season to see who the best team is and the teams who proved it over the entire season get beat by the team hottest right now.

Playoffs = meaningless regular season
Playoffs = Added revenue and excitement for the fans. Whoever said it was to determine the "best" team.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

SpiffCoug wrote:Yet again, we play an entire season to see who the best team is and the teams who proved it over the entire season get beat by the team hottest right now.

Playoffs = meaningless regular season
I think the Rangers could make a strong argument that they were in fact the best team in the AL during the regular season when they were all healthy.

Anyways, the last I checked, you play the games to win, not to see who is the best. That's what the playoffs are abouts--winning games, pennants, and trophies....not about proving who is the "best."

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

Can't wait for tonight. The Rangers are a good team, but still not as tough as we've faced in these playoffs. Stacking up the remaining 3 games looks good for us.

Game 5: Carpenter is a monster on the road & we own their ace.
Game 6: Back in St. Louis. Garcia is only any good at home so that's positive.
Game 7: In St. Louis, but we might be looking at an all-bullpen game vs. whoever the Rangers send out there (I just pray it's not another lefty!)

I'll take those odds any day. Go Cards!!!

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

mizzoucoug wrote:Game 5: Carpenter is a monster on the road & we own their ace.
CJ Wilson was 8-2 at home this season, but 8-5 on the road in more "pitcher-friendly" parks. He has an ERA of 3.69 in Arlington--the most "hitter-friendly" park in all of baseball.

Compare that to your "monster" on the road who went 7-6 away from home this season with an ERA almost a full-point higher than when he pitches away from home, and allows more than double the HRs on the road than at home in St. Louis. In the three most "hitter-friendly" parks he played in the NL this season (he didn't play at Coors, so I only looked at Chase, Minute Maid, and Great American), Carpenter had four starts and went 2-2 with an ERA of over 5.2.

This game 5 will be closer than most are thinking--Accuscore has Texas as a 56% favorite tonight.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Well we blew game 5 with terrible hitting and almost blew game 6 too, but WOW what a game.

Best World Series game I have ever heard of!!!

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Did anyone else think Cruz should have caught that ball in the bottom of the 9th? It looked like he was afraid of hitting the wall.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

SpiffCoug wrote:Did anyone else think Cruz should have caught that ball in the bottom of the 9th? It looked like he was afraid of hitting the wall.
Yes. Absolutely should've been caught. When you have a chance to make a World Series ending catch the wall should not be a concern.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

snoscythe wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Did anyone else think Cruz should have caught that ball in the bottom of the 9th? It looked like he was afraid of hitting the wall.
Yes. Absolutely should've been caught. When you have a chance to make a World Series ending catch the wall should not be a concern.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I was thinking the same thing. He seemed a little lackadaisical at first and by the time he decided to get on his horse and move, it was too late. You gotta bust your @$$ for that ball!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Game Set Match! Cards win it all Baby!

Great series Rangers but nobody messes with St. Louis when it comes to baseball.