SMOKE: BYU to BIG XII

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: SMOKE: BYU to BIG XII

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Posts have become off topic and personal. Can we get some of this cleaned up?

Thanks (this post can be deleted when cleaned up)

Cougarpoke
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarpoke »

Agreed

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Mingjai wrote:
DesertCougar wrote:I assume that we would play 8 conference games and 3 OOC games until they get back to 12. After that we would play at last 6 and possibly 8. Does anyone think that BYU might try to negotiate for more OOC games? I could see TH, CS, and the BOT wanting to have that freedom to play all over the place for exposure. Heck I could also see some teams (Texas & OK) seeing that as a opportunity to expand their brand as well.
College football teams now play 12-game schedules.

And I can't see a conference allowing a team to play less conference games than others and still be considered the conference champion. If BYU joins a conference, they will play as many conference games as all the other schools.

The current 10-team Big XII plays 9 conference games and 3 out of conference. If BYU did join to make the 10th team next year, I would expect the league to continue its complete round-robin schedule--that's the fairest way to determine a champion outside of a championship game.
This. Texas also wants to stay at 10 having figured out that it shortens the road to the NC game by one very tough conference championship game avoided.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
DesertCougar
Recruit

Post by DesertCougar »

Y 4 Ever wrote:I would guess that at 12 teams, they'd play 8 conference games - 5 in division, 3 other division. And since I'm assuming that OU and UT will be in the same division, to make their annual rivalry game easier and so that they don't have to play each other, and I'm also assuming BYU will be in the other division...this means that we'd only have OU and UT in LES once each every 4 years. Still...looks good to me.

At 10 teams, I'm sure they'd go with a 9-game round-robin. Which sucks those years where you have 5 conference road games.
I agree with you. UT and OU will be in the same division. It means they continue the RRR and do not play each other in the CCG, which could potentially water down the Big 12's chances at the NCG. It would be nice though to have either UT or OU come to BYU every year. I guess the downside to being in their division would be the level of difficulty.

The downside to not being in their division is that we get the "leftovers" coming to BYU - the teams that would have been left floundering had the Big 12 imploded. Upside: being in the weaker of the two divisions would give us a greater chance at getting to the CCG each year, which would help with recruiting and keeping those fickle fans excited. It would also allow us to schedule some bigger names like we would like to do (ND, Penn St, Georgia Tech, West Virginia) without worrying about having a killer schedule each year.

DesertCougar
Recruit

Post by DesertCougar »

Cougarbib2 wrote:Texas also wants to stay at 10 having figured out that it shortens the road to the NC game by one very tough conference championship game avoided.
Do you really think they would want to stay at 10 and not have a CCG? They miss out on more credibility and cash...I'd like to see a poll on this. Who thinks they would stay at 10 versus go to 12 and have a CCG?

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

DC

Be careful what you wish for. BYU will start having losing seasons annually if they play Big 12 and then think they need to add tough teams to that schedule.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
DesertCougar
Recruit

Post by DesertCougar »

Cougarbib2 wrote:DC

Be careful what you wish for. BYU will start having losing seasons annually if they play Big 12 and then think they need to add tough teams to that schedule.

true true...I guess I am getting ahead of myself.

trueblue72
Sophomore

Post by trueblue72 »

This. Texas also wants to stay at 10 having figured out that it shortens the road to the NC game by one very tough conference championship game avoided.

I thought under the current BCS system, to be eligible to play in the BCS champ game you had to have a CCG? Am I mistaken, but I thought that was one of the big issues for the big 12 when CU and Neb left last year? Am I way off here?

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

DesertCougar wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:DC

true true...I guess I am getting ahead of myself.
Based on how we have played, I would not want to trade schedules with Utah this year even considering how bad our home slate is. We'd probably go 4-8 playing all the Pac12 teams this year.

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

trueblue72 wrote:

I thought under the current BCS system, to be eligible to play in the BCS champ game you had to have a CCG? Am I mistaken, but I thought that was one of the big issues for the big 12 when CU and Neb left last year? Am I way off here?
There were talks about the 12 team conferences wanting to make that a requirement because they thought it wasn't fair. It is not a rule. The Big 10 sent Ohio State many times without a CCG. If it was a rule the Big East and Big 12 would have 12 teams already.