Which is more likely - NBA?

Discussion for professional sporting events/teams and players.

This would be a great place to discuss the Super Bowl, the NBA Playoffs or whatever else.

NBA season starts on time.
22%
NBA plays a contracted season (50 or so games).
67%
NBA doesn't play in 2011-2012.
11%

Total votes: 9

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Post by SpiffCoug »

Discuss.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Which is more likely - NBA?

Post by hawkwing »

Haven't heard much about the NBA situation, but I'm assuming they will work something out and get the season started on time. The NBA is already struggling with a major image problem, a lockout wont serve the players or the owners.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

The NBA is in the worst position of all the pro leagues as far as CBAs go. A number of franchises are just bleeding money to no end, but the players want more money and guaranteed contracts. The owners are starting the negotiations by asking the players to give back some money from last season, and that is never a good sign of things to come---'we not only want to give you less, but we want you to give back stuff we gave you under the last agreement.'

In the NFL situation, everyone was making money, so the issue has largely been how to split that money going forward and how to make more. In the NBA, not everyone is making money, so they are going to take a much harder line in concessions.

I give the NBA 0% chance of tipping off on time, and a lost year wouldn't surprise me. I expect a little more than a half season next year.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Here's a sad difference between the NFL and NBA situations. The NFL owners have not wanted to open up their books to the players, so the players don't quite know how much money the owners are making, so they don't know exactly what room they have to negotiate. The owners, in order to keep their books closed have given up the billion dollars that they were taking off the top.

The NBA owners have been very transparent with their financials, so the players know that 22 of 30 teams (73.3%) are losing money. The players are not willing to give up the length of contracts, guaranteed contracts, or the soft cap. There also is a problem with revenue sharing in the NBA that isn't really a problem in the NFL.

Other than the de-certification (and eventual re-certification) and some of the lawsuits by the NFLPA, I can actually understand their side more than the owner's side in the NFL. The players in the NFL are the least protected out of the professional sports.

In the NBA, I tend to lean toward the owner's in this case. I don't blame the players for wanting to keep the things they have been given; however, they need to realize that the league cannot keep going unless they make concessions.