What the "H" are the Jazz doing?

Discussion for professional sporting events/teams and players.

This would be a great place to discuss the Super Bowl, the NBA Playoffs or whatever else.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

What the "H" are the Jazz doing?

Post by Brayden Green »

I know this isn't "BYU" stuff, but I don't know where else to post it (the pro sports hasn't been posted on for a solid month.)

Starting KFez tonight over Derrick Favors? Are you serious? We already booted the season, so quit acting like you are trying to make the playoffs (which is out of reach).

Start Favors and Gordon, just to see what they can do.

On a related, but different topic, I'm thinking that Ty is in over his head... He is pissing off his regular players, (Raja, AL) and not getting his younger guys experience.

His lineup should be:
Watson
Bell
Hayword
Favors
Jefferson

PG, and SG are debatable, but there is NO EXCUSE for not starting Gordon, Favors and Jefferson together.

So let me get this straight, we ship off our best player, and give a 5 year extension to the guy making a decision to start Kfez (a D league player at best) over Favors...

:skeptic: I just don't get the Jazz. Either commit to win, or commit to **actually** rebuild. You can't do both. And the longer you stay in the middle, the longer you fail to do either one.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: What the "H" are the Jazz doing?

Post by hawkwing »

hey look, now there's been a recent posting in the pro sports forum!

But in all seriousness. I used to be a big Jazz fan, but there is no question the organization has completely fallen apart since Larry died. Losing Sloan. DWill becoming Lebron style crazy and holding us hostage, only to be traded the next week. I haven't watched a game or seen a score (on purpose) since Sloan left. I'd like to be a fan again, but it's hard to care.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Thanks for delegating my post to the Cougar Corner outer darkness... :lol:

Rules are rules. And that's okay ;)

If they blow this next draft (like most the others) I'm not sure what I'll do. Actually, I know what I'll do. Stop caring. Stop going. (It's a good thing I like another NBA team as much as I do the Jazz, or I'd have to give up the NBA altogether... which probably wouldn't be a bad thing. As soon as that team fades away, there will be nothing left of the fundamental basketball of yesteryear. **sigh** )

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Its only a matter of time before Greg destroys his father's empire.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

The Jazz made a huge mistake by not giving Ty the "Interim" label. That's the way the big boys do it, for good reason. Boilen would be a better coach than Corbin.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

If the Jazz organization doesn't pull their head out and start doing things the way Larry did them, I'm thinking I'll change allegiances to some team that is run right (same thing happened to me with the Buccaneers when they fired Tony Dungy).

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Corbin can't coach. Tonight could be the biggest loss of the year. If by some miracle they are able to keep it close going into the 4th quarter, look for them to blow it like they did against Dallas, New Orleans, and Washington in the last 2 weeks. I think it was time for Sloan to step away, but I'm not sure they hired the right guy to replace him on a permanent basis.

I hate the whole "protecting against foul trouble" excuse. Play Favors. I'd almost be inclined to start Favors over Al or Millsap right now, but easily over Fes. He's a better rebounder, actually tries to play defense, and is an athletic freak who may be able to actually make a play.

In the lineup that he's going with tonight, I actually like Millsap at the 3 though. I think that the best lineup for the Jazz, when everyone is healthy is:

1-Harris
2-AK
3-Millsap
4-Favors
5-Jefferson

The only players who should play off the bench are Watson (and only just because he's a pg), Heyword (who may actually be a better option at backup PG), CJ because he's our only consistent outside threat (30%, so not even great), and Evans. AK can play 2, 3 or 4. Millsap can go 3 and 4. CJ and Heyword can both go 2 and 3. Jefferson and Favors go between 4 and 5. People may say that this team couldn't guard the better 3's like this. NEWS FLASH they can't guard them now. The Jazz haven't been a great defensive team since Eaton retired, and they haven't even been a good defensive team since Stockton and Malone left. Sloan's teams progressively got worse defensively (and it's one of the reasons I'm not sad he's gone) because he refused to adjust to the 3-point shot actually becoming a weapon.

In the offseason the Jazz need to let Fez go, try and dump Bell and Price, hope Memo gets healthy, re-sign AK at a reasonable salary (5-8 million per season for 3 years), and draft 2 shooters regardless of draft position. If they have the 6th pick and the 12th pick, they don't take the best players on the board, they take the best shooters. They won't, because they're the Jazz, and they don't draft well. Of all the players on the roster right now, I believe 2 of the 13 players are Jazz 1st round draft picks (AK and Heyword). KOC sucks at drafting. He makes decent trades and made some ok free agent signings, but none really since he got Memo and Boozer in the same year (6 or 7 years ago now).

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Who would you like to see brought in as a coach? And who in the draft?

I'll be honest, I don't want the Jazz to pick Jimmer. I would hate to see him mismanaged that badly.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Larry didn't manage the Jazz that well either. The Jazz were just extremely fortunate to have drafted Stockton and Malone and had a coach smart enough to run a system to take full advantage of their skill sets that helped them to become some of the greatest of all time.

But Larry also signed many a cash-strapping contracts that limited the Jazz's ability to really succeed. Ostertag's and Kirilenko's have limited their ability to win. They did the same with Milsap.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

SpiffCoug wrote:Larry didn't manage the Jazz that well either. The Jazz were just extremely fortunate to have drafted Stockton and Malone and had a coach smart enough to run a system to take full advantage of their skill sets that helped them to become some of the greatest of all time.

But Larry also signed many a cash-strapping contracts that limited the Jazz's ability to really succeed. Ostertag's and Kirilenko's have limited their ability to win. They did the same with Milsap.
Larry had the common sense to see that he had a great HOF coach and he never let players run the team, even when Malone kept threatening to leave. He understood that the coach needs to have the power and be respected if the players are going to learn anything from him. The Jazz made the playoffs 18 years in a row and picked up a lot of good players over that time period. That doesn't just happen, it's when team management and the great coach they have work together (ie-GOOD MANAGEMENT).

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,