Brewer trade.

Discussion for professional sporting events/teams and players.

This would be a great place to discuss the Super Bowl, the NBA Playoffs or whatever else.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Brewer trade.

Post by BroncoBot »

I know jazz threads aren't the most popular on here, but CJ Miles is shooting well enough tonight that everyone is going to forget about about Ronnie Brewer quick.

13 points
5/6
3/4 3pts

I wasn't very happy with the trade overall though. Thought Ronnie Brewer was a solid guy.

Schmoe
Retired

Re: Brewer trade.

Post by Schmoe »

Stupid trade! Stupid, stupid, stupid!! Brewer was WAY more consistent than CJ (and most of the other guys on the team for that matter) and he hardly cost any money. I wouldn't have been surprised if they traded Korver (because he costs a bit) or Miles (because he's more inconsistent) or Koufus/Fez and a draft pick for a big man like Brook Lopez. But trading the 4th most productive and third most consistent guy on the team for a stupid draft pick was not smart.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I don't mind the trade just as a trade--you get what will likely be a lottery pick in exchange for an average 2-guard at your deepest position. There's a lot of upside to this trade.

What I hate about the trade is that they alienated Deron Williams by trading away one of his best buddies in a strictly financial move (i.e. the team is no better today for the trade) heading down the playoff stretch, and they did it without talking with him first. If you have a player you want to be your franchise guy, you gotta keep him happy. Now DW is saying "this is why I only signed a 3-year extension and not a 5-year."

I just hope they can land an all-star point guard with that lottery pick.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

As far as trading away Brewer, I see only two negatives. But first the positives.

1. Brewer was not a good shooter, and really wasn't as good of a defender as they made him out to be (then again, Jerry Sloan isn't as good of a defensive coach as he's made out to be).

2. He's not better then Matthews (although Matthews contributions this year have been way overstated), and more expensive.

3. Brewer was going to be either more expensive next year or gone anyway. Someone would have offered a contract that the Jazz wouldn't have matched.

4. Brewer hasn't been playing much in the 4th quarter lately. With AK playing as well as he has been lately, CJ and Kyle shooting better (and playing about the same level of defense), and Ronnie being terribly inconsistent not only this year, but throughout his career, he became the most expendible.

5. Brewer has actually regressed from last year. He may actually benefit from a change in scenery.

Now for the two negatives, and they may actually override the positives.

1. This move was not popular with the team, especially the cornerstone of the team Deron Williams. You have to keep your players in mind when you make this type of trade.

2. This is the 2nd move the team has made this year to just drop salary. The franchise just looks cheap. The Maynor trade may actually have had a worse effect on the team then this one did down the line.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

stuckinbig10country wrote:As far as trading away Brewer, I see only two negatives. But first the positives.

1. Brewer was not a good shooter, and really wasn't as good of a defender as they made him out to be (then again, Jerry Sloan isn't as good of a defensive coach as he's made out to be).

2. He's not better then Matthews (although Matthews contributions this year have been way overstated), and more expensive.

3. Brewer was going to be either more expensive next year or gone anyway. Someone would have offered a contract that the Jazz wouldn't have matched.

4. Brewer hasn't been playing much in the 4th quarter lately. With AK playing as well as he has been lately, CJ and Kyle shooting better (and playing about the same level of defense), and Ronnie being terribly inconsistent not only this year, but throughout his career, he became the most expendible.

5. Brewer has actually regressed from last year. He may actually benefit from a change in scenery.

Now for the two negatives, and they may actually override the positives.

1. This move was not popular with the team, especially the cornerstone of the team Deron Williams. You have to keep your players in mind when you make this type of trade.

2. This is the 2nd move the team has made this year to just drop salary. The franchise just looks cheap. The Maynor trade may actually have had a worse effect on the team then this one did down the line.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

You have to look at the total package of moves.
3 things led to all the salary dumping

1. Korver, Boozer and Okur opting in. Okur getting his extension.

2. Millsap getting matched.

3. Matching CJ Miles's offer sheet a couple of years back. (Deron wanted this buddy to stay and the Jazz accommodated him.)

So basically you traded away Brewer and Maynor away so you could keep Korver, Boozer, Okur, Miles and Millsap.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb