MLB is Hardly a league....

Discussion for professional sporting events/teams and players.

This would be a great place to discuss the Super Bowl, the NBA Playoffs or whatever else.
NFLJPD
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

MLB is Hardly a league....

Post by NFLJPD »

For as much as I love the Red Sox and know every team out there will win some and lose some....

I can't help but think what a crock.... MLB needs a CAP or a Super Heavy Luxury Tax.

You can't think this is fair, or sporty! I know many have done the argument much better like Michael Lewis, author of the bestseller Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game,

But seriously, imagine going into a season "on the playground" and George and John pick their entire teams, then the next richest kids pick, (only a few great rookies slip through their hands because of a draft) then you start playing....

Then about playoff time they scoop up the additional great players in trades!

Then off season they basically mop up the rest with the free agent market to start over!

It is much worse now then before, Since 2000 the first ($100 Millon Team salary) all teams that have even paid a Luxury tax have been in the playoffs 85% of the time and won muliple World Series (LAA -1 Red Sox - 2 Yankees - 2)

Pundits that try to say it's still fair like to go back over 30 years to mix some Pirates, Royals, and others in but the disparity in payrolls then were only a few million dollars not 40- 140 millon dollars as they are now.

MLB needs to start the Cap at the midpoint or lower (like the average Team Salary) around $75 Millon and Tax teams sliding scale at 50 - 100% for going over it ( ie Yankees '09 Team salary of $201,449,189 x 100% = $201,449,189 tax, Cardinals '09 Team salary of $77,605,109 x 50% = $38,802,554 tax). Yes there will be teams that sand bag it and there can be fines for going under a floor. Yes teams can still go over but at a HUGE cost, They'll keep it very close.

Fairness will rule the land and we'll live happily ever after!