Tim Tebow Ad

Discussion for professional sporting events/teams and players.

This would be a great place to discuss the Super Bowl, the NBA Playoffs or whatever else.
Yndian
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Tim Tebow Ad

Post by Yndian »

So I'm sure we've all heard about the Focus on the Family anti-abortion ad that will appear during the Super Bowl. ESPN decided that they need to have opposing viewpoints on it. Jemele Hill wrote the "Right or wrong, at least Tebow has the courage to stand up for what he believes" angle and Tim Keown took the "Tebow has been brainwashed and will continue to be exploited by the extreme right if he doesn't watch out" angle.

The amazing thing about this whole controversy (I dare you to read the comments on the articles), the part that has nothing to do with abortion, is that there are so many people who say "This is why we have a separation of church and state" and "CBS shouldn't show this ad because they've refused to show pro-abortion ads" and "keep politics/religion away from sports."

Guess what, folks, the Super Bowl has NOTHING WHATEVER to do with the government! The Super Bowl, like all sporting events, and just like whatever station is airing it in a given year, is by the $$ and for the $$. CBS isn't receiving government funding, and whatever decisions they make are based on what will make money for them now and in the future. And that's their prerogative as a company.

If I complain about the GoDaddy or erectile dysfunction or beer ads, or about movies, music, etc. that I find offensive, I will be told, "If you don't like it, just don't watch." Well, people, if the thought of watching an anti-abortion ad is just to much for you to bear, turn off your TV. People act like it's their God-given, sorry, universal right to watch the Super Bowl and only see commercials they want to. There's a way to do that: pony up the hundreds of millions of $$ and you can put whatever ads you want to. Until then, get over it.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Tim Tebow Ad

Post by Schmoe »

Wait, you mean there will be one ad during the Superbowl that may not include half-naked women, talking animals, or flowing alcohol!? No wonder people are pissed.

Seriously though, flipping through the channels there was some lady on...CNN I think...who said "This is just a thinly veiled attempt by Focus on the Family to undermine each woman's right to choose blah, blah, blah!" Hey lady, I got news for you, it's not veiled at all, they aren't hiding the fact that they hate the murder of babies and the fact that the only choice that "pro-choice" gives is the choice of irresponsibility and the choice to have no consequences to your actions. I support a woman's choice to have sex or not to have sex, but not to choose the consequences once she's made a mistake.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Feminists suggesting women can't think for themselves? Talk about irony.
This is the best line of the article. I was glad that she made it a stand-alone sentance paragraph.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

There does not appear to be any visible gray area in Tebow's world, and there are times when those of us who see the world through shades of gray would trade places. It's got to be far easier to be so sure.
Condescending much?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

There are some people who look so hard for shades of gray they miss the color.