Who do ya'll like?

Discussion for professional sporting events/teams and players.

This would be a great place to discuss the Super Bowl, the NBA Playoffs or whatever else.
AmmonCougar1
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Who do ya'll like?

Post by AmmonCougar1 »

Normally I read and post exclusively in the the Cougar Football and Basketball forums so this is out of the ordinary for me. But with football slowing down for awhile I thought I'd explore this area of the forum and I'm curious as to you you all cheer for outside of the Cougars. My teams other than BYU (and they're not even close) are:

Utah Jazz (don't like any other team or player in the league other than Jazz guys)

Dallas Cowboys (always loved 'em since Danny White played for them..ok, I thought their cheerleaders were cute too)

Boston Red Sox (Always loved 'em as underdogs during the 80's & 90's)
Atlanta Braves (2nd fav. loved 'em with Dale Murphy)

MLS (Real Salt Lake...of course!)

Hockey...what's that?

So there you have it. Now what are your favs & why?

Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Re: Who do ya'll like?

Post by SpiffCoug »

MLS: Real Salt Lake. I've had season tickets every year. Went to the announcement of the team name. Planned my 2-weeks of R&R from Afghanistan so I could attend the opening game in Rio Tinto Stadium.

NBA: Utah Jazz. Pretty much by default, since I don't really care for any other team.

NFL: Minnesota Vikings. I got a Super Bowl book in 1988 for Christmas and felt bad for them that they had lost 4 SBs, decided I'd be a fan. I still hate Herschel Walker. I've got a good feeling we'll make it to the big game again this year. I skipped church in 2001 to watch the NFC Championship game on TV. I have a testimony that if I had gone to church I would have come home to see they'd won and were playing in the Super Bowl.

EPL: Hull City Tigers. My team leader in Iraq in 2003 was from Hull. They were second division in England, told us we were all fans now. We even created the Hull City Tigers Fan Club Middle East Chapter and got an article about us in the game program. I've followed them through three promotions to the highest level in England.

MLB: Philadelphia Phillies I became a fan when the got the Murph in 1990. Then in 1993 a friend's dad had box seats to Game 5 in the 1993 World Series. I still can't watch the Joe Morris highlight/series winning walk-off HR in Game 6. I still hate Joe Morris.

NHL: New Jersey Devils. I've been to several games growing up in NJ, plus they have the best goal tender of all-time in Martin Brodeur.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Let me rank in order of importance to me:

1. BYU Football
2(tied) Any NFL team with an active Cougar playing on it.
2(tied) BYU Basketball
3. BYU Rugby/Volleyball
4. Utah Jazz
5. All other BYU sports
6. Anaheim Angels (refuse to call the LA)

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

My wife.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

NFL: Tampa Bay Bucs, Indy Colts when Dungy started coaching there (Rob Morris era) and even more so with Collie there. Hate the Cowboys, hate the Pats.

NHL: Wings fan because I was a bandwagoner in Jr. High.

NBA: Love the Jazz, hate the Fakers, abhor David Stern.

MLB: Dodgers, my dad worked at Dodger Stadium when he was in school.

Pro Lacrosse: Denver Outlaws (the Buffalo Bills of the lacrosse world), and Colorado Mammoth.

College Lacrosse: Johns Hopkins Blue Jays (Dave Petro is a great coach and an outstanding person).

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

NFL: Cowboys, Bengals but the more exposure I get to Romo, the more I become a Bengals fan.

NHL: Dallas Stars whenever they don't have Sean Avery.

NBA: Mavs, Cavs.

MLB: Rangers, Reds.

NASCAR: 14

MLS: My local bar's foosball table.

So yeah...Dallas and the Ohio teams.

bostoncoug
BLUEshirt

Post by bostoncoug »

NFL: (See avatar, Mine, not the movie ;) ) I lived in Boston for four years and my wife is from there.

MLB: I'm a Braves fan first and foremost. Loved Dale Murphy as a kid, and actually got to meet him while he was Mission president in Boston. One of the nicest men I've ever met.
Secondly I'm a Red Sox fan. Nothing compares with games at fenway!

NBA: Utah Jazz-Lived in Utah almost all my life (minus the mish, and the 4 years in Boston).

NHL: If I could actually get NHL games (thanks directv :angry: ) I'd be a Bruins fan. The game on New Years at Fenway was a lot of fun to watch.

MLS: I'm not a real estate agent, so I'm not sure what ya'll are talking about there. :crazy:

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

NFL: Colts all the way!! I've been a Colts fan since the days of going 3-13 almost every year and all of that pain, anguish is finally paying off! I loved it when they drafted Rob Morris out of BYU and of course Collie. Now if they could draft Pitta to compliment Clark that would be heaven on earth.

NBA: Jazz- One of the most up and down, frustrating teams I've ever been associated with.

College Basketball: BYU #1, Duke a distant second.

College Football: BYU #1, there is no second.

NHL: Don't care

MLB: Don't care

MLS: Real Salt Lake

Olympics: USA

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

NCAA Football: BYU, Minnesota (3rd-gen BYU grad, went to grad school at U of Minn.). If only I could get both schools to be good at the same time. BYU's early 00s down years coincided with an upswing for Minnesota (the Marion Barber, Laurence Maroney years). Then BYU got good and Minnesota took a turn for the mediocre (at best).

NCAA Basketball: BYU, Minnesota

NFL: Nobody in particular. I tend to cheer for teams with BYU players, so I've been cheering for the Colts all year. I'm not really a Vikings fan, but it is nice to see them do well.

NBA: Not an NBA fan. I grew up cheering for the Celtics, so if I had to pick a team it would still be the C's.

MLB: Minnesota Twins. It'll be nice to sneak out and catch a day game at the new stadium.

NHL: Boston Bruins, Minnesota Wild. I've been a Bruins fan from when I started following hockey--I still wear my Cam Neely jersey every once in a while. The Wild are also fun to cheer for because the whole state really gets behind them.

MLS: Real Salt Lake, though I don't really follow MLS as much as I should.

EPL: I'm don't have a team in England, either, though of the bigger teams, I tend to cheer for Arsenal because they play such attractive soccer. I also cheer for teams with USMNT players, so it's nice to see teams like Everton, Fulham, Aston Villa, Hull, West Ham, etc., do well. I HATE Man Utd and Chelsea.

International Soccer: US, Holland. Living overseas forces you to follow soccer, or else give up on talking sports with any of the locals. I bleed red, white, and blue, and I'm even a capped fan now. As for Holland, everyone has to have a team to cheer for in the Euros, and since the Dutch have a fun style to watch, I've adopted them as Euro team.

Other:
BYU men's volleyball. I was a volleyball player growing up, and went to every match when I got to the Y.
Minnesota Gophers men's hockey. Gopher hockey games have a great spectator atmosphere.

Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

snoscythe wrote:NHL: Dallas Stars whenever they don't have Sean Avery.
I hope Sean Avery is confined to spend eternity with Todd Bertuzzi, Claude Lemieux, Darius Kasparitus, and Ulf Samuelsson.
kitic77 wrote:NFL: Minnesota Vikings. I got a Super Bowl book in 1988 for Christmas and felt bad for them that they had lost 4 SBs, decided I'd be a fan. I still hate Herschel Walker. I've got a good feeling we'll make it to the big game again this year. I skipped church in 2001 to watch the NFC Championship game on TV. I have a testimony that if I had gone to church I would have come home to see they'd won and were playing in the Super Bowl.
Yeah, you should have at least gone to sacrament meeting. No one would blame you for skipping out on Sunday school.