Steve Young Is an Athlete Who’s Actually Good at Finance

Discussion for professional sporting events/teams and players.

This would be a great place to discuss the Super Bowl, the NBA Playoffs or whatever else.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Steve Young Is an Athlete Who’s Actually Good at Finance

Post by scott715 »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... at-finance

Not sure which category to put these.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Steve Young Is an Athlete Who’s Actually Good at Finance

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Don't care where you put it. It was pretty interesting.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

So does ESPN care that he's essentially using them for his financial gig? I guess as long as he delivers for them too then they're fine with it...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think he has done a good job. The kid is smart, that is good for ESPN.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

byufan4ever wrote:So does ESPN care that he's essentially using them for his financial gig? I guess as long as he delivers for them too then they're fine with it...
I think ESPN was fine with it before, and I'm sure they were aware of everything Steve had going on around him. However, I'm not sure ESPN will be fine with it becoming public knowledge that he has a side gig orbiting his hosting responsibilities and that he only spends an hour to two hours prepping for the ESPN stuff.

Again--I think ESPN was knew and was fine with it when it was under wraps, but now it becomes a perception issue for the network. Some guys we work with had a secretary for a while who they really liked and let her do some side medical transcription work at the office as long as their stuff took #1 priority. Worked great for years as she was a diligent worker who made it work. That is, until she told a co-worker how grateful she was that she was allowed to do that so she could put her husband through undergrad and now grad school. Suddenly, the entire support staff wanted to be able to do similar things, and it caused a blistering headache and people quit over it---it went on for years with no problems until other people, who were perfectly happy before they knew about it, found out about it, and some even quit over it.

Steve may be able to juggle the different roles and only spend that limited time preparing and still deliver a stellar product, but now there rises the possibility of other guys with side-gigs wanting to work them in, and other former pro talent thinking they can get away with limited prep, and suddenly what was the status-quo before causes ESPN to rethink things.

Perception is reality, and this just slipped into public perception and the perception of other NFL on-screen talent.