Jimmer Turning Down 10-day NBA Contracts

Discussion for professional sporting events/teams and players.

This would be a great place to discuss the Super Bowl, the NBA Playoffs or whatever else.
Post Reply
User avatar
snoscythe
Retired
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Jimmer Turning Down 10-day NBA Contracts

Post by snoscythe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Jimmer's dad told the local paper that Jimmer has turned down at least two 10-day contract offers from the NBA, preferring to spend time with the wife and baby after their China separation.

http://poststar.com/news/opinion/column ... 5180f.html

Also provides interesting money numbers -- his Shanghai Sharks deal was for $1.1 million, but that was net to him -- the Sharks paid all his taxes, so that equates to about a $2 million NBA deal (fed, state, host-city taxes, + union dues etc), so he's making almost double his NBA-minimum. His shoe deal is ~$600K over three years.


My take is that Jimmer is being smart -- he's got a good thing going in China, and he's not going to run away from his family to take a dead-end 10-day stint with the T-wolves or Kings. If the right NBA team offered him the right deal, I think he'd take it, but he's not groveling for scraps anymore.

User avatar
byufan4ever
All-American
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jimmer Turning Down 10-day NBA Contracts

Post by byufan4ever » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:09 am

Yeah, he's getting decent money AND playing time. I really think Jimmer needs to have the ball in his hands. He's not a Steve Kerr that can come off the bench and hit 4 3s in a row. And the fans have really taken to him over there. But his wife never joined him over there (could be wrong) and with a kid now will he want to be separated at such a long distance for an entire season (unless they plan to join him over there)?
"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll

User avatar
Cougarfan87
All-American
Posts: 1793
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jimmer Turning Down 10-day NBA Contracts

Post by Cougarfan87 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:38 am

byufan4ever wrote:Yeah, he's getting decent money AND playing time. I really think Jimmer needs to have the ball in his hands. He's not a Steve Kerr that can come off the bench and hit 4 3s in a row. And the fans have really taken to him over there. But his wife never joined him over there (could be wrong) and with a kid now will he want to be separated at such a long distance for an entire season (unless they plan to join him over there)?
I think they were just separated while she was pregnant...wanted to have the baby in the U.S. I have no insight, but my guess is that now they will move to China.
Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.

User avatar
snoscythe
Retired
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jimmer Turning Down 10-day NBA Contracts

Post by snoscythe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:05 am

Cougarfan87 wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:Yeah, he's getting decent money AND playing time. I really think Jimmer needs to have the ball in his hands. He's not a Steve Kerr that can come off the bench and hit 4 3s in a row. And the fans have really taken to him over there. But his wife never joined him over there (could be wrong) and with a kid now will he want to be separated at such a long distance for an entire season (unless they plan to join him over there)?
I think they were just separated while she was pregnant...wanted to have the baby in the U.S. I have no insight, but my guess is that now they will move to China.
Correct.

User avatar
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Posts: 12694
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:11 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jimmer Turning Down 10-day NBA Contracts

Post by SpiffCoug » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Is Jimmer finally getting good advice from his agent? Don't go to a bad situation. If the NBA is your dream, at this point, Jimmer has two options in regards to the NBA. 1) Wait for the right NBA team 2) stay in China or another non-NBA league where he can make a ton of money while waiting for No. 1.
BYU PER W/L Since 1988: 319-53 (.858 )
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Image

User avatar
Cougarfan87
All-American
Posts: 1793
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jimmer Turning Down 10-day NBA Contracts

Post by Cougarfan87 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:20 pm

SpiffCoug wrote:Is Jimmer finally getting good advice from his agent? Don't go to a bad situation. If the NBA is your dream, at this point, Jimmer has two options in regards to the NBA. 1) Wait for the right NBA team 2) stay in China or another non-NBA league where he can make a ton of money while waiting for No. 1.
IIRC, they said on the ESPN feature that the Chinese league is considered the second best Pro League in the world. He should just stay put and bank his $1 Million a year after taxes until some NBA team is willing to offered guaranteed money. That may never happen, but I think it is better to be a huge fish in the Chinese league, than Mr. irrelevant in the NBA where your always worried about losing your job. I am assuming, of course, that he would have stable employment in China.
Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 9173
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jimmer Turning Down 10-day NBA Contracts

Post by BroncoBot » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:25 am

Cougarfan87 wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Is Jimmer finally getting good advice from his agent? Don't go to a bad situation. If the NBA is your dream, at this point, Jimmer has two options in regards to the NBA. 1) Wait for the right NBA team 2) stay in China or another non-NBA league where he can make a ton of money while waiting for No. 1.
IIRC, they said on the ESPN feature that the Chinese league is considered the second best Pro League in the world. He should just stay put and bank his $1 Million a year after taxes until some NBA team is willing to offered guaranteed money. That may never happen, but I think it is better to be a huge fish in the Chinese league, than Mr. irrelevant in the NBA where your always worried about losing your job. I am assuming, of course, that he would have stable employment in China.
I'd sign up today for that. Obviously your pride takes a hit if you aren't playing in the NBA, but he's setting himself up for the rest of his life. Not that money is everything, but neither is basketball.

User avatar
byufan4ever
All-American
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jimmer Turning Down 10-day NBA Contracts

Post by byufan4ever » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:21 am

Fredette has signed a two year deal to return to the Shanghai Sharks. I read it's for $1.8M but it's not clear if that's per year or total for the two years. And I believe last year the Sharks somehow paid his taxes or some equivalent so that his contract amount was also his "take home" amount.
"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll

User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 12061
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

Re: Jimmer Turning Down 10-day NBA Contracts

Post by hawkwing » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:26 am

byufan4ever wrote:Fredette has signed a two year deal to return to the Shanghai Sharks. I read it's for $1.8M but it's not clear if that's per year or total for the two years. And I believe last year the Sharks somehow paid his taxes or some equivalent so that his contract amount was also his "take home" amount.
That is per year, his take home is at approximately $3.6M. In addition, he is looking at several lucrative endorsement contracts that will likely be worth more than his playing salary.

sindyciaray
Gray Shirt
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:20 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: Jimmer Turning Down 10-day NBA Contracts

Post by sindyciaray » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:02 am

I read it's for $1.8M but it's not clear if that's per year or total for the two years. []PhenQ Reviews

Post Reply