UC-Davis going the BYU Route

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

UC-Davis going the BYU Route

Post by Mars »

I was really saddened yesterday to learn that UC-Davis is dropping their men's wrestling team due to title IX issues. This is especially upsetting because wrestling at UC-Davis is the #2 money-making sport at the school, behind football. It is also a very successful program. Their fundraisers brought in $65,000 last year alone, the most of any program. Keep in mind, this is a school that is hoping to go Div. I-A in football someday and join the WAC.

Sad stuff.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Re: UC-Davis going the BYU Route

Post by Schmoe »

If you are going to drop a sport, why drop one that's bringing in money? That alone doesn't make sense...

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Re: UC-Davis going the BYU Route

Post by Mars »

" Wrestler Barrett Abel... who will be a senior at Davis next year qualified for the NCAA Division I championships this year. He [was] slammed by the seemingly sudden decision to discontinue the Aggies's very successful wrestling program... Most devastating to the wrestlers is the fact they were told that their program, which generates the second highest amount of revenue ($70,000) just behind football ($90,00), would not be affected. Athletic Director Greg Warzecka assured wrestling coach Lenny Zalaesky that the football and wrestling programs were “safe.” The wrestling staff was notified 10 minutes before the announcement that the program was on the chopping block... Wrestling is popular at UC Davis and enjoys one of the better attendance ratios of any sport on campus... In addition, the program has a large alumni base and strong community support. It's had some of the best fund-raising activities of any sport on campus... Davis was one of the last University of California or California State University campuses to offer a wrestling program. While it's the sixth most popular sport in the nation, it is treated badly in Division I colleges. Davis packed 5,200 people into the gym for one event and raised $20,000 in one fund-raiser. Given the spector of eliminating the program, it's clear the team and the staff could have found ways to keep it — had they been given the chance. There are more than 25,000 high school wrestlers in California but their options to continue their careers and further their education are diminishing. "

http://search.mtdemocrat.com/display.php?id=60528

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars