Women's Soccer 2016

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Women's Soccer 2016

Post by SkystheLimit »

So, I was just calculating the in-conference points after today's game results. For BYU to win a share of the conference title, Pepperdine has to lose to Loyola-Marymount...at Pepperdine. The only way BYU wins the outright title is for Pepperdine to also lose or tie at Pacific, which isn't going to happen, considering Pacific has a pathetic Overall record of 1-12-1. It's a longshot, even, that Pepperdine loses to LMU. It would be the first time since 2011 that BYU didn't win at least a share of the title. :~(

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I thought we had a stacked team? What happened?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

A 1-0 loss to Pepperdine.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

SkystheLimit wrote:So, I was just calculating the in-conference points after today's game results. For BYU to win a share of the conference title, Pepperdine has to lose to Loyola-Marymount...at Pepperdine. The only way BYU wins the outright title is for Pepperdine to also lose or tie at Pacific, which isn't going to happen, considering Pacific has a pathetic Overall record of 1-12-1. It's a longshot, even, that Pepperdine loses to LMU. It would be the first time since 2011 that BYU didn't win at least a share of the title. :~(
it's not an extreme longshot. LMU is a good team. Could happen.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

scott715 wrote:A 1-0 loss to Pepperdine.
Pepperdine is ranked #15 in the coaches poll, #29 in the rpi. They're good. Sucks that we lost to them, but it's not like they're terrible. Also, LMU #40 in the rpi isn't necessarily an easy win for Pepperdine.

BYU is still #4 in the rpi and #5 in the coaches poll this week.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

The NCAA tournament is the important thing, and BYU is looking much better in their resume this year than they did last year. Here are the rpis of the teams BYU has played. Several nice wins. Losses are few and both to top 30 teams.

Losses:
Nebraska (19)
Pepperdine (29)

Wins:
Ohio State (22)
Utah (25)
Penn State (27)
SMU (35)
LMU (40)
San Diego (46)
Long Beach State (57)
Washington State (73)
Tennessee (86)
Portland (99)
Utah State (108)
San Francisco (163)
Denver (218)

Tie:
Santa Clara (41)

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

BlueK wrote:
scott715 wrote:A 1-0 loss to Pepperdine.
Pepperdine is ranked #15 in the coaches poll, #29 in the rpi. They're good. Sucks that we lost to them, but it's not like they're terrible. Also, LMU #40 in the rpi isn't necessarily an easy win for Pepperdine.

BYU is still #4 in the rpi and #5 in the coaches poll this week.
LMU is our only chance a team winning the conference, but the game isn't AT Pepperdine, which is a tough place to win. Our loss was at Pepperdine. Which, by the way, kind of irks me, because we had to play them at Pepperdine last year. It should have been at South Field. We likely would have won at South Field. It is what it is, but still...Pepperdine is a tough team and deserves the ranking they have. LMU is a tough team too, though. Played us tough. We only won the match 1-0.

By the way, Ashley Hatch is back with the team. Yay, Ashley!

Hopefully, our last three matches don't drop our RPI much. I'd really like to go into the NCAA Tournament a #1 or #2 seed.

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

And the loss to Pepperdine was on a penalty kick.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

This is the only site I've seen that puts out a projection for NCAA tournament. It has BYU with a 4 seed. That would give us the first game at home and the second on a neutral field. I actually think BYU will get in on a 3, maybe a 2 if lucky. We do have several top 50 wins and our three best wins all came on the road.

http://herosports.com/news/d1-womens-so ... le-watch-5

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

4 seed is a slap in the face. Getting 3 teams in with a couple just out shows it is a good league.