Women's Soccer 2016

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Women's Soccer 2016

Post by SpiffCoug »

Could you imagine a #5 ranked basketball team from ANY conference getting a 4 seed?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Well I guess our best wins were against #5 PSU and #19 OSU on the road. Both of their rankings have fallen since we played them.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1

We were ranked #16 this week. SD has an impressive resume beating UCLA and Stanford this year.

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

scott715 wrote:http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1

We were ranked #16 this week. SD has an impressive resume beating UCLA and Stanford this year.
I think you meant to post this in the Volleyball section.

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Yep

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

BlueK wrote:This is the only site I've seen that puts out a projection for NCAA tournament. It has BYU with a 4 seed. That would give us the first game at home and the second on a neutral field. I actually think BYU will get in on a 3, maybe a 2 if lucky. We do have several top 50 wins and our three best wins all came on the road.

http://herosports.com/news/d1-womens-so ... le-watch-5
I can't imagine we would be a 4-seed. We are top 5 in both the RPI and rankings. The RPI will drop after St. Mary's, Pacific and Gonzaga, but we should still be really high. I would think we'd at least go in as a 2-seed.

By the way, we beat Pacific today 4-0 on goals by Hatch, Bailey-Topham (her first career goal), Loomis (her second career goal) and Vasconcelos. Real barn burner of a game. ;)

UPDATE: The goal previously credited to Topham was changed to Calton-Walker.
Last edited by SkystheLimit on Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

LMU just beat Pepperdine 1-0! As long as we beat Gonzaga this week, we win a share of the conference title. Five in a row.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

YES!!!

But will this hurt our rpi?

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

scott715 wrote:YES!!!

But will this hurt our rpi?
Hmmm. Hadn't thought about that. It very well could. Of course, we beat LMU, so hopefully not much. I think I'm more worried about how playing St. Mary's, Pacific and Gonzaga will hurt it, even by winning.

Of course, Pepperdine beat us, so they still will have the automatic bid to the Tournament, but we are a lock to get in and be a much higher seed.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

SpiffCoug wrote:Could you imagine a #5 ranked basketball team from ANY conference getting a 4 seed?
That's a good point, and like I said, this is the only bracketology there is for women's soccer. I tend to think BYU gets better than a 4, but I haven't looked closely at the resumes of every other team contending for a high seed.

One thing that will help: Pepperdine lost to LMU so as long as BYU beats Gonzaga they will once again get a piece of the WCC title. NCAA selection committees tend to give extra credit for winning a conference regular season championship.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...