Women's Soccer 2016

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Women's Soccer 2016

Post by BlueK »

BlueK wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Could you imagine a #5 ranked basketball team from ANY conference getting a 4 seed?
That's a good point, and like I said, this is the only bracketology there is for women's soccer. The guy who does it admits BYU is a tough case, leaving the door open that he realizes he might be wrong. I tend to think BYU gets better than a 4, but I haven't looked closely at the resumes of every other team contending for a high seed.

One thing that will help: Pepperdine lost to LMU yesterday, so as long as BYU beats Gonzaga they will once again get a piece of the WCC title. NCAA selection committees tend to give extra credit for winning a conference regular season championship.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

It's not going to help that for two of what were supposed to be two of our biggest wins, Ohio State after being nationally ranked for much of the season, stumbled badly down the stretch and couldn't even qualify for the Big 10 tournament, which takes the top 8 teams. Ouch. And then Penn State did get the #2 seed but lost their first game yesterday to the 7 seed. That sucks. At least they should still make the NCAA tournament.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

And then PU was ranked. I bet they drop out of the poll now.

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

BYU fell to #7 in the RPI today. We still have to play Gonzaga, which will drop us even more. I hope we can still get in as a 2-seed.

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

scott715 wrote:And then PU was ranked. I bet they drop out of the poll now.
It's the rpi that matters with the committee, and Pepperdine didn't really move there. I think they went from 29th to 30th. LMU has a good record and decent SOS, so that is why.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

SkystheLimit wrote:BYU fell to #7 in the RPI today. We still have to play Gonzaga, which will drop us even more. I hope we can still get in as a 2-seed.
SMC and Pacific had much worse records than Gonzaga, and it only dropped us like 2-3 spots after playing both of them. I don't think playing Gonzaga will hurt us too much. I actually think the selection committee will treat us pretty well considering that we went on the road to play some good teams and won almost all of those games. People may point to last year but the the difference is that last year's schedule wasn't very strong when all was said and done. We played a bunch of P12 teams last year but most of them had disappointing years. Cal was ok and Stanford of course was very good, but we lost that game. The schedule was much stronger this year and we had a better record against a stronger SOS. We're in a better position this time.

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

We moved up to #4 in the NSCAA Coaches Poll.

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

SpiffCoug wrote:Could you imagine a #5 ranked basketball team from ANY conference getting a 4 seed?
Yes. In fact, I think it happened in the past 3 years.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Mars wrote:
Yes. In fact, I think it happened in the past 3 years.
Here are the last 10 years:
2016 #5 Oregon, was a 1 Seed
2015 #5 Arizona, was a 2 Seed
2014 #5 Louisville, was a 4 Seed
2013 #5 Miami, was a 2 Seed
2012 #5 Michigan St, was a 1 Seed
2011 #5 Notre Dame, was a 2 Seed
2010 #5 Ohio St, was a 2 Seed
2009 #5 Connecticut, was a 1 Seed
2008 #5 Tennessee, was a 2 Seed
2007 #5 Memphis, was a 2 Seed

So while it has happened in the relative recent pass, it's pretty clear that a #5 ranking does not warrant a #4 seed and that team should be a 2 seed at worst.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

The only women's soccer bracketology I know of now has BYU moved up to a 3 seed. This is probably around where I'd expect, with a 2 still possible. The human polls don't matter. The rpi has us at 7 right now.

http://herosports.com/news/d1-womens-so ... le-byu-unc