Lady Soccer 2014

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Lady Soccer 2014

Post by scott715 »

Their season is about to start. We are starting out ranked #22 in the nation. We also have WCC teams at #10-Santa Clara and #11-Portland.
http://www.nscaatv.com/rankings/3109/NC ... seasonPoll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Re: Lady Soccer 2014

Post by SkystheLimit »

The season started out pretty rough, but MAN have those girls found their rhythm. Hatch, Murphy, Fernandez are da bomb. I wish Thornock was getting more playing time though. She has been so good in her career and works so hard when she gets in the game.

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

So, Pepperdine tied Gonzaga today. If I read the points correctly, as long as BYU wins against St Mary's and Pacific, even if they lose at Pepperdine, they should still win the conference championship. Someone check me on this, please. Here is the link to the standings:
http://www.wccsports.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Yes. win 2 of 3 locks up first. They are playing well now. We are ranked again and in great shape to get into the NCAAs. Last 3 are on the road. Started the season rough until they figured out the team (very young team).

We should be very good next year. Probably even better.

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

So excited to repeat a third year in a row as WCC Champions. We have such a great team, and we have the potential to go far in the Tournament.

I agree that next year we are going to be even better. Paige Hunt will return, so the loss of Annie Amos won't sting as much. We lose Fernandez, but I am excited to see what Nadia Gomes will do as a sophomore. Hannah Clark appears to be our goal keeper since Kaufusi is having to end her career, so that is our only real question mark, but she looks like, with a little more time, should be pretty good. And she's tall. Can Hatch GET any better? And we have both Hatch and Murph for two more years. Imagine a combo of Hatch, Murphy and Gomes as our forwards, with Nimmer, Phillips and Madeiros as our mids, and Hunt, Chambers, Isom and Bingham as our back line (I have to admit, I like Bingham over Calton on the back line). Chambers has really turned out to be a strong defender. I love her speed in the backfield. We keep all of our midfielders, who have been really good. Overall our passing has been crisp and precise. I imagine we will be just as good, if not better next year. Who will step up and be the surprise bright spot next year? We have SO much talent on the roster. Even if we have a few mission-bound players, I don't think it will hurt us. In fact, we have so much depth, some of the girls may want to redshirt.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I wonder what recruits we have coming in too. Is Hatch's sister coming next year?

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

Yes. I hope she is as good as her sister.
http://www.loyalcougars.com/2013/08/27/ ... ts-to-byu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

They lost their last game to Pepperdine but still won the WCC. they open in the tournament at Colorado and then North Carolina if they win. Not a good draw.

http://byucougars.com/w-soccer/cougars- ... irst-round" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

Disappointing loss against Colorado. They obviously struggled with the weather and, unfortunately, didn't play their best game. Another mistake by Calton that set up a goal for the opposing team.

The announcers mentioned that four players were leaving on missions after this season. Any ideas who those four are?

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

According to Sarah Chambers' dad, Ella Johnson, Rachel Bingham and Kaci Griffin are three of the four going on missions. He's not sure about the fourth. It's great they are going on missions, but I was hoping Bingham would start on defense next year. I think she is better than Calton, who has made some pretty unfortunate mistakes.