Men's VBall Last Night

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Men's VBall Last Night

Post by urroner »

Okay, I'm not a big volleyball fan and, as I said in an earlier post not too long ago, it's hard for me to watch a sporting event if the team I'm rooting for isn't do none too well, especially if it's late at night here on the east coast, but last night was a huge exception.

The game started at 10 p.m. my time and ended around 1 a.m. and BYU lost the first set. I wasn't happy. I wanted to throw things at the TV. I wanted to yell at somebody, but being single with no kids in the house, I could only yell at the cat and he just ignore me as usual.

BYU started off pretty good, but then UCLA kicked it into high gear and stormed past BYU. BYU ended up eating UCLA dust the rest of the set. They almost won the set, but UCLA just laid the hammer down on BYU.

I was just grateful that I was doing a cross stitch for a beautiful young woman who lives in Brazil, whom I dated twice while she was up here visiting a mutual friend and we talk to each other quite often. People, Chucky 's in love, in love enough to do a killer cross stitch to show off his manliness which will take about 200 hours to do and, in order to give it to the young lady properly, he's going to fly her back up to Florida in July. Hope springs eternal, but that's for another post, this one is about BYU men's volleyball.

People, if you didn't see the EVENT last night, and please note that I used a certain word in all caps, bolding, and coloring, you really missed a great match, even better than they typically are between BYU and UCLA. It probably wasn't as exciting as the final BYU/UCLA match last year when BYU pulled its A55 out of the fire in five sets last year, but every set last night was close.

The scores were 22-25, 25-22, 28-26, 25-21 and not only were the sets close, the third one was awesome. BYU and UCLA traded leads several times. UCLA was ahead, 17-14 at one point, but BYU came back to tie it up at 22-22. There were several times after that when it looked like BYU had the winning point in hand with an awesome hit, but UCLA made an awesome dig and would get the point eventually. The Smith Fieldhouse was really rocking by the end of the set.

There were some awesome digs in the middle of some great rallies. One rally went for almost minute. It was great, even though, IIRC, UCLA won the point. I was even standing up yelling at the TV. The "motley" crowd of 4,000 showed their appreciation for the demo of awesome athleticism by cheering the play, even after UCLA came out on top.

BTW, I love the BYU volleyball crowd. They make the rest of the crowds from other universities look sad and boring.

I found some attendance stats for college volleyball from earlier this year. Needless to say, I was pleased.

2014 NCAA men’s volleyball home attendance average (through March 3)
1. BYU — 3,757
2. Hawai’i — 2,767
3. UC Irvine — 1,189
4. Ball State — 1,060
5. Long Beach State — 933
6. Pepperdine — 889
7. Loyola — 761
8. Lewis — 686
9. USC — 669
10. UCLA — 666 (Ahhhh, the unholy number of the devil no doubt. :whistle: )
11. Penn State — 639
12. Stanford — 621
13. IPFW — 542
14. Cal Baptist — 512
15. Ohio State — 460
16. Princeton — 397
17. UC San Diego — 380
18. UC Santa Barbara — 369
19. Cal State Northridge — 363
20. Quincy — 334

I can't remember what the play was, but BYU's headcoach, Chris McGown, was running up and down the sideline pumping his fist. Then there was UCLA headcoach, John Speraw, who showed not a whole lot of excitement almost during the whole match.

BYU, by the win, clinched at least a share of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation regular-season title and with one more win with four more regular season matches, it will be the outright owner of the title.

This article tells more about the match from last night - http://byucougars.com/m-volleyball/coug ... nior-night

The highlight of the match last night was when the table behind the UCLA team, laden down with PowerAde was knocked over and PowerAde went everywhere.

It was just a fun match last night. Yeah, if BYU would have lost, it wouldn't have been as much fun for me, but it was a great match.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Men's VBall Last Night

Post by scott715 »

Yes it was long and was only 4 sets. We clinched home court for the playoffs. Also set the record for earliest to clinch.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image