2013 Men's Lacrosse

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

2013 Men's Lacrosse

Post by Schmoe »

The Cougars are ranked #3 going into the season and open at home tonight vs. BSU. The Broncos play hard, but lack the depth and talent to keep up with the Cougs. It will be interesting to see how BYU comes out in their first game of the season as they've been working on a new uptempo offense and adding more wrinkles to their defensive packages.

PS-One of my former players is a team captain this year. Makes a guy proud (even though I admittedly had nothing to do with it since he was an offensive player and I was the D-coordinator).

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Schmoe
Retired

Re: 2013 Men's Lacrosse

Post by Schmoe »

Cougs win home opener over BSU; final score 14-5. The Cougars got off to a strong start and then took their foot off the gas in the fourth quarter when BSU scored most of its goals. Next up: @ UNLV in two weeks.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

The Boys in Blue (#3, 1-0) will play @ the UNLV Rebels (unranked, 3-0) tonight at 7:00 pm. UNLV has been hot to start the season, averaging over 12 goals a game in wins vs. SMU (1-1), Baylor (3-6), and North Texas (2-2). The Rebels defense, however, seems a little suspect, allowing over eight goals a game to teams with an overall record of 6-9.

Schmoe's prediction: Rebs show fire early, but Cougs depth will be too much and they'll pour it on in the second half. Final 14-8 BYU.

urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

Keep up the reporting Schmoe. I really enjoy reading them.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

After a sloppy, penalty-ridden game, the Cougars come out on top 9-7. The Cougars took the lead early, and while the Rebels equalized a couple times, the Cougars kept the edge. This game should be a wake up call for our guys as UNLV is not an elite club program. Hopefully we see a much more disciplined BYU squad when they battle #9 Chapman today at 7 (8 MST).

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Always enjoy the lacrosse updates. Thanks SCHMOE.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Me too. Keep us informed.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

It looked ugly early with the Cougars showing serious signs of a close-game-last-night hangover in the second night of their back-to-back games in Vegas. BYU didn't score a single goal in the first quarter while #9 Chapman (2-1) roared to a 3-0 lead. The Cougars soon found some fire and scored their first goal two minutes into the second quarter. Both teams then traded goals, bringing the score to 4-2, then traded two-goal runs to make it 6-4. BYU midfielder Jake Ferrin then scored a spectacular behind-the-back goal just before the half to bring the score within one.

The Cougs and Panthers again traded some goals early in the third and Chapman pushed their lead back to two, 8-6, with just over four minutes remaining, but that's where BYU's depth would start to shine. The Cougs closed out the quarter with goals from Fabrizio and Walker to tie the game, and continued on what would be a 5-0 run, shutting out the Panthers for the entire fourth quarter, final 11-8 BYU.

I gotta say, I was more than a little worried about this game after the Cougars sad showing vs. UNLV. Chapman is traditionally a VERY strong and disciplined team, but BYU showed why they are national champion contenders again this year. This team can beat anyone in the country if they can play like they did in the fourth quarter tonight.

Next up: vs. Loyola Marymount in Vegas tomorrow 5 pm (4 pm MST)

Personal note: Team captain Mickell Walker, who played for yours truly like a hundred years ago, scored three goals in the game (two goals were equalizing goals, and the last put the Cougars up by two late in the fourth).

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Schmoe wrote:It looked ugly early with the Cougars showing serious signs of a close-game-last-night hangover in the second night of their back-to-back games in Vegas. BYU didn't score a single goal in the first quarter while #9 Chapman (2-1) roared to a 3-0 lead. The Cougars soon found some fire and scored their first goal two minutes into the second quarter. Both teams then traded goals, bringing the score to 4-2, then traded two-goal runs to make it 6-4. BYU midfielder Jake Ferrin then scored a spectacular behind-the-back goal just before the half to bring the score within one.

The Cougs and Panthers again traded some goals early in the third and Chapman pushed their lead back to two, 8-6, with just over four minutes remaining, but that's where BYU's depth would start to shine. The Cougs closed out the quarter with goals from Fabrizio and Walker to tie the game, and continued on what would be a 5-0 run, shutting out the Panthers for the entire fourth quarter, final 11-8 BYU.

I gotta say, I was more than a little worried about this game after the Cougars sad showing vs. UNLV. Chapman is traditionally a VERY strong and disciplined team, but BYU showed why they are national champion contenders again this year. This team can beat anyone in the country if they can play like they did in the fourth quarter tonight.

Next up: vs. Loyola Marymount in Vegas tomorrow 5 pm (4 pm MST)

Personal note: Team captain Mickell Walker, who played for yours truly like a hundred years ago, scored three goals in the game (two goals were equalizing goals, and the last put the Cougars up by two late in the fourth).
sweet. I was following the tweets on here and was also a little worried going into the home stretch. Lacrosse is a very interesting game. Wish I had the opportunity to play, but I cam from a high school that only offered basketball, football, cross country, wrestling, golf and track. That's it.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

BroncoBot wrote: sweet. I was following the tweets on here and was also a little worried going into the home stretch. Lacrosse is a very interesting game. Wish I had the opportunity to play, but I cam from a high school that only offered basketball, football, cross country, wrestling, golf and track. That's it.
Mine didn't either; I had to drive across town to another school every day for practice. Hopefully with how mediocre our basketball team is and how boring baseball is, we can draw in some more fans to lacrosse. It's fast, hard-hitting, fun, and the tickets are cheap. I might try to organize a CC lacrosse tailgate again when the weather gets warmer.