StarCraft 2

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

StarCraft 2

Post by CougarClaw »

So according to Blizzard, they sold 1 Million copies in 24 hours making it the best selling game of 2010.

Given that it's selling for something like $50 each. That's a truckload of revenue for Blizzard inc.
I grew up playing Blizzard games but I have no plans to buy this one. I must be getting older since the only thing I'm really interested in, is knowing how the storyline develops and watching the absolutely brilliant cinematics.

Still.

1 Million copies in 24 hours.
1.5 Million copies in 48.

Not bad blizzard. Not bad.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: StarCraft 2

Post by hawkwing »

I think it's selling for closer to $60/copy which is amazing.

I admit that I bought the game and ... it is well worth the $60. If you loved StarCraft, they've taken it and perfected it here.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

I'm not a fan of StarCraft (or any RTS for that matter), but I'm a big fan of Blizzard's strategy in making games. Of course, when compared against their strategy (put in as much resources as necessary to make the game great), being the top-selling game of the year becomes a necessity just to stay in business. Although from what I hear the employees get pretty good bonuses, so they're doing even better than that.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

hawkwing wrote: I think it's selling for closer to $60/copy which is amazing. I admit that I bought the game and ... it is well worth the $60. If you loved StarCraft, they've taken it and perfected it here.
Consider me officially jealous.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Starcraft? Pa-lease.

If you want to play a real RTS, pick up Warhammer40k with all of its expansions (winter assault, dark crusade, soulstorm)

Even the creators of Starcraft 2 said that Warhammer was their main inspiration, and they spent months playing the game in order to get an idea of how to make a real RTS.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

Italics wrote:Starcraft? Pa-lease.

If you want to play a real RTS, pick up Warhammer40k with all of its expansions (winter assault, dark crusade, soulstorm)

Even the creators of Starcraft 2 said that Warhammer was their main inspiration, and they spent months playing the game in order to get an idea of how to make a real RTS.
Are you sure they're talking about the Warhammer video game? Because I know they studied the tabletop Warhammer game a ton before making Warcraft and you can see the influence all over the place, but also, Warcraft and Starcraft DEFINED the RTS genre in video games long before Warhammer did anything worthwhile in the medium, so if they did take anything further from the Warhammer video game, it was purely cosmetic.

In other words, Warhammer Tabletop=>Warcraft=>Starcraft=>Warhammer game.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Sammich wrote:
Italics wrote:Starcraft? Pa-lease.

Are you sure they're talking about the Warhammer video game? Because I know they studied the tabletop Warhammer game a ton before making Warcraft and you can see the influence all over the place, but also, Warcraft and Starcraft DEFINED the RTS genre in video games long before Warhammer did anything worthwhile in the medium, so if they did take anything further from the Warhammer video game, it was purely cosmetic.

In other words, Warhammer Tabletop=>Warcraft=>Starcraft=>Warhammer game.
The article I read specifically spoke of them heavily studying/playing the Warhammer 40K RTS because they thought it was a great game and they wanted to try and model Starcraft 2 after it.
I understand that Starcraft was one of the pioneers of RTS games... but that doesn't automatically make it the best. I've had several Starcraft fanatics take up Warhammer 40k, and they've all admitted to it being a superior game.
More units + 9 races (as opposed to 3) + more strategy = better game.
But that's just my opinion.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care