Utahns, how excited are you about Mitt Romney

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Utahns, how excited are you about Mitt Romney

Post by SpiffCoug »

Ddawg wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:47 pm
hawkwing wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 pm Donald Trump has endorsed Mitt Romney, so now all you Trump supporters have to support Mitt or you're not making America great.
And all you Trump haters will have to eat your hyper-criticisms of Trump's commitment to being conservative. The Heritage Foundation says Trump is more conservative than, and achieved more in his 1st year, than Ronald Reagan.

I have always supported Mitt Romney because he was better than the alternative. But he is not a real conservative. He's a squishy Republican and a globalist - per his record in Massachusetts. Hopefully Mitt is not a John McCain clone. Keeping my fingers crossed.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/herit ... le/2646849
Trump has governed more conservatively than I thought/feared he might. I hope that he continues doing so.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

SpiffCoug wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 pm Trump has governed more conservatively than I thought/feared he might. I hope that he continues doing so.
Yes he has. He has governed lawfully and very conservatively, and well. Shocking to most, he has been keeping his campaign promises.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

BoiseBYU wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:11 pm If you could not care less what I have to say, then why post? Odd. For the record, I am not a Trump hater. Calling out the falsehoods or inanities of the man does not make one a hater. It just means that person has issues regarding statements or actions of the man. And also for the record, I have complimented specific actions his Administration has undertaken. noted above, I applauded the Administration's efforts regarding ISIS. But the bottom line is that, in the words of Mitt Romney, "Trump's words are as worthless as a degree from Trump University."
All I can do is tell you how I really feel. I really don't care much about what you and the other Trump haters have to say about Trump. Trump has been an effective conservative president. He is rolling back Obama's red tape, he has revamped an overbearing tax code, he is enforcing immigration law, he is appointing conservative judges, he is rebuilding our military, he has re-energized out economy. Whether you like those things or not, they are happening.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Ddawg wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:06 pm
BoiseBYU wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:11 pm If you could not care less what I have to say, then why post? Odd. For the record, I am not a Trump hater. Calling out the falsehoods or inanities of the man does not make one a hater. It just means that person has issues regarding statements or actions of the man. And also for the record, I have complimented specific actions his Administration has undertaken. noted above, I applauded the Administration's efforts regarding ISIS. But the bottom line is that, in the words of Mitt Romney, "Trump's words are as worthless as a degree from Trump University."
All I can do is tell you how I really feel. I really don't care much about what you and the other Trump haters have to say about Trump. Trump has been an effective conservative president. He is rolling back Obama's red tape, he has revamped an overbearing tax code, he is enforcing immigration law, he is appointing conservative judges, he is rebuilding our military, he has re-energized out economy. Whether you like those things or not, they are happening.
No one will fault you for saying what you really feel. :) Typically, when I do not care what someone thinks, I do not respond. It is not worth my time at least. There are things this Congress has done, with Trump's approval, that I support. There are some things Trump has done, with Congress's approval, that I like too. There are lots of things I very much oppose, some that make me ashamed, but America voted the man in and deserves what it votes. That aside, and so you know what I think of Trump, we are led by a narcistic, immoral patholigical liar, as ill-equipped as any person has every been to be President. I do not believe it took a Trump for the Congress to act as it has acted with regard to ISIS, tax reform and tax cuts or the appointment of conservative judges for example. A President Pence, or Cruz or just about any Republican out there would have done the same thing, no doubt more effectively. Trump lovers like you need to take stock of the man you fawn over and consider the impact he as Trump, not as a Republican President, is having on our country. Whether YOU like it or not, it is happening and as I see to the detriment of the country.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

BoiseBYU wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:28 pm I do not believe it took a Trump for the Congress to act as it has acted with regard to ISIS, tax reform and tax cuts or the appointment of conservative judges for example. A President Pence, or Cruz or just about any Republican out there would have done the same thing, no doubt more effectively. Trump lovers like you need to take stock of the man you fawn over and consider the impact he as Trump, not as a Republican President, is having on our country. Whether YOU like it or not, it is happening and as I see to the detriment of the country.
I cannot stand President Trump. he is in my opinion the worst president in our history and it ain't even close. That said, I do not believe that any other Republican running for president against Hillary could have beaten her. No one else could have gotten (what I will inartfuly call "fringe" Republican voters) the same voters out enough to earn a victory. At least that is my opinion. So when you say that President Cruz or Pence would have done the same things as President Trump, I'm not so sure that President Cruz or Pence would be president Cruz or Pence, so Trump is the only guy who could have done it.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

The question is whether Trump is doing more good, or more harm. It's like getting a large loan now, but having to pay it back many times over later down the road. Many people can't seem to imagine that future costs matter, not when the current "spending" is so exciting. The Republican party mortgaged their house to buy Trump, and only time will tell if they lose that as a consequence.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

ABYUFAN wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:49 pm
BoiseBYU wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:28 pm I do not believe it took a Trump for the Congress to act as it has acted with regard to ISIS, tax reform and tax cuts or the appointment of conservative judges for example. A President Pence, or Cruz or just about any Republican out there would have done the same thing, no doubt more effectively. Trump lovers like you need to take stock of the man you fawn over and consider the impact he as Trump, not as a Republican President, is having on our country. Whether YOU like it or not, it is happening and as I see to the detriment of the country.
I cannot stand President Trump. he is in my opinion the worst president in our history and it ain't even close. That said, I do not believe that any other Republican running for president against Hillary could have beaten her. No one else could have gotten (what I will inartfuly call "fringe" Republican voters) the same voters out enough to earn a victory. At least that is my opinion. So when you say that President Cruz or Pence would have done the same things as President Trump, I'm not so sure that President Cruz or Pence would be president Cruz or Pence, so Trump is the only guy who could have done it.
You very well might be right. I am not aware of definitive data one way or the other. Trump generated some measure of anti Trump voters that otherwise might have voted a Republican. That mostly matters in FL WI and PA and I don’t know which way that broke. You very well may be right.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

President Trump has talked of making America great again. He has worked to cut taxes and regulations to help businesses. Now we hear Apple is going to spend Billions ($300+) on infrastructure. They have said they will hire 20,000 people. Chrysler is bringing back a plant to Michigan but I don't know how much they are going to poor into the economy. He and others worked to reduce taxes on businesses resulted in many companies giving bonuses to thousands of workers when dissenters were trying to tell us it was only going to benefit the rich.

He got us out of the Paris Climate Accord saving tax payers at least a billion for what some say would have been a 1degree reduction in this century. Under his and Nikki Haley's direction at least $285 million have been cut from the U N. There may be more taken form this organization that we pay more than our fair share to.

He said he'd cut staff and he has done so.

He, at this point, looks to be keeping his promises, at least a lot of them. I don't know everything but I don't see him as much of a pathological or any other type of liar.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Which one has donated more money to Democratic campaigns? Honest question.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

hawkwing wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:20 pm Which one has donated more money to Democratic campaigns? Honest question.
Probably Ronald Reagan. He was a Dem for 20+ years and Chairman of the California Democratic Party. He eventually became a Republican in 1962. The rest is history.