Utahns, how excited are you about Mitt Romney

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Utahns, how excited are you about Mitt Romney

Post by BroncoBot »

Let's move on from our good LDS friend Rob Porter. Obviously some strong feelings regarding the matter.

I think Mitt will win in a landslide for the Beehive State. And I think it might tip over the beehive at the same time. Well known LDS politician in a state with very strong pro and anti factions regarding the LDS faith. Has been pretty vocal about President Trump which will be a polarizing issue in and of itself in a time where politics has become downright toxic. How do you see this playing out?

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: Utahns, how excited are you about Mitt Romney

Post by scott715 »

For us outside of Utah, is he running for the senate?

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I have to wait to see who the other options are before expressing an informed opinion overall.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Mitt would have been a "lights out" better option vs Obama in 2012. Today as a senator in Utah? As Snow said, I would have to wait and see who he is running against. If Mitt was running against a Mike Lee, I would vote for Mike Lee. It's good Orrin Hatch has chosen to retire. He's had a good run. I think Mitt will probably steamroll anyone who runs against him. Name recognition and money is huge. Obviously, it's not Mitt's 1st rodeo.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I will say this--his interest in the race was the final straw that drove Orrin Hatch to finally retire.

If nothing else happens, I'm glad he put his hat in the ring for that reason alone.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Not excited. Never was a big fan of his. What does he have going for him besides being LDS and charismatic? I'd rather have some young blood.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

byufan4ever wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:44 am Not excited. Never was a big fan of his. What does he have going for him besides being LDS and charismatic? I'd rather have some young blood.
I've never though Mitt was particularly "charismatic". I think it's something that really hurt him in 08 and 12. He's easily cast as the boring, affluent white dude who doesn't understand people, and when you listen to him talk, it's easy to dismiss him as just that.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

He was a good businessman but has turned into what 99% of politicians are and will flip flop to get your vote.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

byufan4ever wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:44 am Not excited. Never was a big fan of his. What does he have going for him besides being LDS and charismatic? I'd rather have some young blood.
Great hair? Looks awesome.
8)

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

The issue with Mitt is that he is establishment. He is a little more conservative than the Bush's but he is not even close to Reagan. My question is why is he running in Utah? Its a slam dunk easy election if you win the primary. He should be trying to take a blue seat from a blue state that was won by Trump or nearly won by Trump. Instead of squeaking out a traditionally blue seat he is just going to slide into a deep red seat. But that is the GOP, stupid to the last drop!
And he needs to stop with the never Trumpisms. Trump won get over it and now get behind him. If all you can complain about are his tweets then stop going on Twitter and help him move his agenda forward.