Rob Porter

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Rob Porter

Post by BroncoBot »

Not a good look for the church. Sheesh. Where did this idiot (porter) come from.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/07/rob ... rump-aide/
Last edited by BroncoBot on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Rob Porter

Post by ABYUFAN »

scoffs. Nice piece.

Yep the entire church was complicit in the abuse. Stupid article.

The conclusion of "but don’t forget that the Mormon Church was complicit in allowing the abuse to happen for as long as it did. They could have stepped in, offered better advice, or reported Portman to authorities. They did nothing except tell the women to keep their mouths shut and deal with it." is simply not true. The article it quotes from indicates that Porter left their house when the wife threatened to call the clergy member. Clergy members were stepping in to at least enforce protective orders. We'll never know how many items of bad advice were given, nor whether good advice was provided but only the bad brought forward.

We all agree that there are untrained EQ presidents and Bishops that make head-scratching calls, but this piece is at best intellectually dishonest, and at worst, horse puckey.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

The only mistake the bishops made that I can see was to not refer them to a counselor.

The problem with the story is that both women admit they didn't tell the Bishops as much as they told the the counselors, but then the story wants to say the Bishops were unfair because they didn't give the same advice as the professional counselors did with much info.

If all one bishop heard was that "he gets physical", and all the other heard was that he "has anger issues", I don't know of many bishops that would advocate divorce.

I suspect that if each woman told their bishop exactly what they told their counselors, they might have gotten much different counsel.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I agree with both of you that the article had a very negative slant on the "complicit" LDS church. Let's not forget these bishops are working without pay and with very little training in such matters. We also can't forget that we know very little of what was actually said to the bishop, cause the bishop ain't talking.

But it's frustrating (for me at least) to see a LDS guy in the greatest of national spotlights with these charges brought against him. Leave the house, cool off, take a drive, go stay at the local hotel. But never lay a finger on your wife.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

FWIW, without the LDS community's umbrage and "look at how they are mistreating us!" reactions to negative media treatment, I don't think these stories (see also: President Monson's unfavorable obituary) would get any real clicks or views.

But when Mormons get offended, they start sharing on social media, emailing friends and family, and soon the troll who wrote it is rewarded with 100,000 extra view, which his bosses then turn into advertising dollars.

If you're offended by something on the internet, your best option is to make a comment on that page, and then navigate elsewhere and never return and especially don't paste the link elsewhere to drive more traffic to what offended you.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Exactly don't feed the troll. By the way I have not clicked on the link and really don't know what the story is.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

scott715 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:24 pm Exactly don't feed the troll. By the way I have not clicked on the link and really don't know what the story is.
Rob Porter (LDS guy) has some disturbing domestic abuse claims brought against him by 2 former wives. He is in the upper echelon of WH influence it seems.

you can certainly find new about him without clicking the above link which only provides an extremely biased view into why the LDS church is at fault. Shouldn't have posted it here. My bad. I'll remove it and post a better one. My intent was that this guy is giving the church a bad name by association, not that we should be playing the victim card via that article.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

The doctrine of the Church regarding abuse is sound. The Church’s Handbook of Instructions regarding abuse is sound. Sometimes our lay clergy, however, addresses instances of abuse poorly or ineptly. Priesthood leaders can do better. There is too much serious abuse that our dear sisters and their children suffer from. When I was in a position of priesthood authority and confronted instances of abuse, I was saddened and sickened. The law was brought in in one case, but even today I think I could have ministered better to these dear sisters and their needs.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

In todays political climate, accusations are made, lives are destroyed. Rob Porter denies the accusation in the strongest terms. Where does the truth lie? Certainly not in a hit job internet piece. Due process? A thing of the past.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Ddawg wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:34 pm In todays political climate, accusations are made, lives are destroyed. Rob Porter denies the accusation in the strongest terms. Where does the truth lie? Certainly not in a hit job internet piece. Due process? A thing of the past.
To have both Exes come out the way they did, it sure doesn't help his denials. But you're right, mere accusation are all the rage right now. Very difficult to prove one way or another. and if an ex has an axe to grind, your career could be over.
We're certainly entering witch hunt territory with the abuse/assault accusations.