Prop 8 Revisited

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
User avatar
Mars
Retired
Posts: 9119
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by Mars » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:40 pm

You're welcome to your opinions KC, but man, I find them cringe-worthy. I don't see how refusing to baptize straight children of gay parents, for example, is "reaching out to gays". It's the opposite, in fact. That's less Fear-based and more Hatred-based. Luckily, the next generation of Saints is unlikely to continue that false doctrine (IMO), just as a generation of Saints not so long ago finally put a stop to racism within the Church.
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

User avatar
KingCoug
All-American
Posts: 1462
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by KingCoug » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 pm

Mars wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:40 pm
You're welcome to your opinions KC, but man, I find them cringe-worthy. I don't see how refusing to baptize straight children of gay parents, for example, is "reaching out to gays". It's the opposite, in fact. That's less Fear-based and more Hatred-based. Luckily, the next generation of Saints is unlikely to continue that false doctrine (IMO), just as a generation of Saints not so long ago finally put a stop to racism within the Church.
Mmm hmm. It's becoming more and more clear where you're coming from. You won't just come out and say it, because you know I'll hold your feet to the fire, but you let little bits out here and there. It's not the first time I've noticed this in your posts. One thing I've observed about many members who have apostatized, or who are on the road to apostasy, is a revision of history (such your bogus views on the Priesthood ban), as well as viewing the Church as an institution that bases its policy on which way the winds are currently blowing (your "rising generation" nonsense) rather than on divine revelation. It's why you see any doctrine you don't agree with (probably a long list) as just a culture problem in the Church that will be weeded out with time. If you were 100% honest about all your views, I suspect many would be shocked how many don't align with Church doctrine. In sum, you are the very thing President Benson talked about years ago when it said there were members "more concerned about bringing the world into the Gospel than bringing the Gospel into the world."


“I will give you one of the Keys of the mysteries of the Kingdom. It is an eternal principle, that has existed with God from all eternity: That man who rises up to condemn others, finding fault with the Church, saying that they are out of the way, while he himself is righteous, then know assuredly, that that man is in the high road to apostasy; and if he does not repent, will apostatize, as God lives.” - Joseph Smith
"Go forth boldly, nobly, and independent." - Brother Joseph

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5612
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by frdbtr » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:21 pm

Mars wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:40 pm
You're welcome to your opinions KC, but man, I find them cringe-worthy. I don't see how refusing to baptize straight children of gay parents, for example, is "reaching out to gays". It's the opposite, in fact. That's less Fear-based and more Hatred-based. Luckily, the next generation of Saints is unlikely to continue that false doctrine (IMO), just as a generation of Saints not so long ago finally put a stop to racism within the Church.
The church has never and will never baptize underage children of people who are in a state of apostasy. Does the church baptize 8 year olds from the FLDS faith? It just doesn't. There was no policy change, there was a clarification to the handbook so bishops would know how to respond to issues and someone got ahold of it and politicized it in order to make the church look bad. This is how bullying works and is how the LGBT community operates. They are "victims of society" who use the media and the courts as a bully pulpit to bully any individual or group that doesn't believe the same as them into doing their bidding. As far as the LGBT community not being that influential in BYU not getting into the Big 12 during the last round of expansion. I believe BYU was in before the LGBT letters went to the Big 12 commissioner and they are so powerful that the Big 12 didn't take anyone because without BYU it wasn't worth expanding.

User avatar
Mars
Retired
Posts: 9119
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by Mars » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Well my Bishop agrees with me, and that's why I've taught Sunday School and Temple Prep for the last 2 years, so there! :P :D
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5612
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by frdbtr » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Mars wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 pm
Well my Bishop agrees with me, and that's why I've taught Sunday School and Temple Prep for the last 2 years, so there! :P :D
Well then, since you are a sunday school teacher, and your bishop agrees with you, then I guess I must have been wrong. :roll:

a1247
All-American
Posts: 1813
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:32 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by a1247 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:54 pm

frdbtr wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:21 pm
Mars wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:40 pm
You're welcome to your opinions KC, but man, I find them cringe-worthy. I don't see how refusing to baptize straight children of gay parents, for example, is "reaching out to gays". It's the opposite, in fact. That's less Fear-based and more Hatred-based. Luckily, the next generation of Saints is unlikely to continue that false doctrine (IMO), just as a generation of Saints not so long ago finally put a stop to racism within the Church.
The church has never and will never baptize underage children of people who are in a state of apostasy. Does the church baptize 8 year olds from the FLDS faith? It just doesn't. There was no policy change, there was a clarification to the handbook so bishops would know how to respond to issues and someone got ahold of it and politicized it in order to make the church look bad. This is how bullying works and is how the LGBT community operates. They are "victims of society" who use the media and the courts as a bully pulpit to bully any individual or group that doesn't believe the same as them into doing their bidding. As far as the LGBT community not being that influential in BYU not getting into the Big 12 during the last round of expansion. I believe BYU was in before the LGBT letters went to the Big 12 commissioner and they are so powerful that the Big 12 didn't take anyone because without BYU it wasn't worth expanding.
So do you not believe the LBGT community didn't feel as thought the church was/is bullying them? There is always 2 ways to look at things, seeing it from only your prefered perspective is simple and closed minded.

User avatar
KingCoug
All-American
Posts: 1462
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:56 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by KingCoug » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:01 am

Mars wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 pm
Well my Bishop agrees with me, and that's why I've taught Sunday School and Temple Prep for the last 2 years, so there! :P :D
Agrees with you about what? You are so full of crap. Your opinions are your own but don't come on a BYU board and try to pass off your warped view of things.

As for the BIG 12, I ask again those who think the gay issue was the deciding factor on BYU not getting an invite, why didn't the conference just take two other schools? There were several lobbying hard to get in and they were more "PC" than BYU.

My point being, it seems the conference not wanting to expand at that time was more of a factor than some gay groups sending letters. Don't attribute more power to these scumbags than they actually have.
"Go forth boldly, nobly, and independent." - Brother Joseph

User avatar
Mars
Retired
Posts: 9119
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Contact:

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by Mars » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:05 am

frdbtr wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:39 pm
Mars wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 pm
Well my Bishop agrees with me, and that's why I've taught Sunday School and Temple Prep for the last 2 years, so there! :P :D
Well then, since you are a sunday school teacher, and your bishop agrees with you, then I guess I must have been wrong.
It takes a big person to apologize when they see that they were wrong. Good on you. 8)
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5612
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by frdbtr » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:22 am

a1247 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:54 pm
frdbtr wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:21 pm
Mars wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:40 pm
You're welcome to your opinions KC, but man, I find them cringe-worthy. I don't see how refusing to baptize straight children of gay parents, for example, is "reaching out to gays". It's the opposite, in fact. That's less Fear-based and more Hatred-based. Luckily, the next generation of Saints is unlikely to continue that false doctrine (IMO), just as a generation of Saints not so long ago finally put a stop to racism within the Church.
The church has never and will never baptize underage children of people who are in a state of apostasy. Does the church baptize 8 year olds from the FLDS faith? It just doesn't. There was no policy change, there was a clarification to the handbook so bishops would know how to respond to issues and someone got ahold of it and politicized it in order to make the church look bad. This is how bullying works and is how the LGBT community operates. They are "victims of society" who use the media and the courts as a bully pulpit to bully any individual or group that doesn't believe the same as them into doing their bidding. As far as the LGBT community not being that influential in BYU not getting into the Big 12 during the last round of expansion. I believe BYU was in before the LGBT letters went to the Big 12 commissioner and they are so powerful that the Big 12 didn't take anyone because without BYU it wasn't worth expanding.
So do you not believe the LBGT community didn't feel as thought the church was/is bullying them? There is always 2 ways to look at things, seeing it from only your prefered perspective is simple and closed minded.
The church used a free and legal election process to get legislation passed. The LGBT community got pissed that they lost and retaliated with bully tactics.

User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5586
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Dick Harmon on Rise and Fall of BYU Athletics

Post by Brayden Green » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:12 am

The church has a terrible PR problem. For example, I'm way in favor of the church not baptizing SSA's kids until they are 18. It makes absolute sense. They are essentially bumping the age of accountability for those kids until they are 18 and able to decide for themselves what they want to do. The church doesn't want to have a situation where a kid loves their moms or dads, but also wants them to desperately break up with each other so they can come to church with them on Sunday and "be saved."

So instead of a situation where the kid has to choose between family and getting baptized, the kid can go on doing one, or the other, or both obligation free until they are old enough to legally decide on their own.

But the church didn't present it like this. It got leaked when they presented it for printing, and then they went into scramble mode when the SJW's and leftist hate mongers took it and milked it for it's last drop of h8. So, yeah... The church sucks at PR. Instead of getting ahead of things, they are constantly stepping into it, and the apostles look - at best - as a bunch of out of touch old dudes, wondering what happened to the world. While we are talking about firing everyone that breathes on this board, I think that the Churches PR needs to go first. Regular Coke didn't "have enough demand"... Give me an effing break.
When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

Locked